Brand new zeb ultimate 2023 missing laser etched sag measurements

Pazman

Dec 8, 2022
Uk
As above brand new zeb ultimate 2023 from wiggle

no laser etched sag measurements on sanctions like very other RockShox i have seen or owned .
also the box open ,like flapping open when dpd delivered it today , fender missing and star nut and all other accessories .
i had a spar star nuts so i fitted the forks ,only when it came to set the sag did i notice the laser etched marks were missing , this is a feature i like and use on others rockshox forks.

Wiggle customer support said they sometime use ome parts ment for factory built bikes and that they may be missing parts or packaging .
but as i fitted the parts im now stuck with them .
the site said nothing about open box or missing parts or missing sag markings .

never again will I spend money at wiggle/chainreactions conmen

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
As above brand new zeb ultimate 2023 from wiggle

no laser etched sag measurements on sanctions like very other RockShox i have seen or owned .
also the box open ,like flapping open when dpd delivered it today , fender missing and star nut and all other accessories .
i had a spar star nuts so i fitted the forks ,only when it came to set the sag did i notice the laser etched marks were missing , this is a feature i like and use on others rockshox forks.

Wiggle customer support said they sometime use ome parts ment for factory built bikes and that they may be missing parts or packaging .

never again will I spend money at wiggle/chainreactions conmen
Don’t know if you could “wiggle” out of that deal but you could bombard them with email pics, pics of this post, and consumer expectations. Hopefully they make it right for you.

#sqeakywheel

Pazman

Dec 8, 2022
Uk
I’ve watched youtube vids of 2023 zeb being fitted and they all have the etchings on

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Same with my ultimates. What does it really matter. It adds a grand total of one minute to your set up measuring the oring and performing a calculation. Then you ride months without touching it.

I think you are being a bit of a princess.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I’ve watched youtube vids of 2023 zeb being fitted and they all have the etchings on
I stand to be corrected but IIRC Rockshox said in publicity releases that the Zeb A2 would no longer have sag markings. Perhaps Rockshox have changed their minds, so you would post links to these videos?

Pazman

Dec 8, 2022
Uk
I don’t identify as a princess but I do find the sag etching convenient on the forks and shock. But I’d probably find a way if there was no reference etching.

yes i can use a tape measure but at £900 I don’t want to lol , i like to see the sag if and when i like without carrying tape measure .
It’s a rockshox feature I appreciate , wiggle are selling it as full retail spect forks at the going rate .

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
yes i can use a tape measure but at £900 I don’t want to lol , i like to see the sag if and when i like without carrying tape measure .
It’s a rockshox feature I appreciate , wiggle are selling it as full retail spect forks at the going rate .
Why on earth buy from wiggle and not your local bike shop it its the full rate? support your local...
If you got a crazy discount and a cheaper price well..... It's not surprising or unknown that clearing houses like these buy up excess stock at a discount. It could be oe parts, it might be slight different spec.

Its up to you to weed through the detail and figure it out. Then when the item turns up, its also up to you to inspect it and ensure that it has arrived as expected. If not, return it.

Take some responsibility for your own actions. You slapped it on before fully checking everything was as per what you wanted.

Pazman

Dec 8, 2022
Uk
Why on earth buy from wiggle and not your local bike shop it its the full rate? support your local...
If you got a crazy discount and a cheaper price well..... It's not surprising or unknown that clearing houses like these buy up excess stock at a discount. It could be oe parts, it might be slight different spec.

Its up to you to weed through the detail and figure it out. Then when the item turns up, its also up to you to inspect it and ensure that it has arrived as expected. If not, return it.

Take some responsibility for your own actions. You slapped it on before fully checking everything was as per what you wanted.
No where local had stock , checked it over but never noticed sag indicator missing until needing it , I expect it to be as original new spec when buy new .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Pazman I can understand that after spending that sort of money, you want it to be perfect. But your chance to send it back has passed. If you persist with this, what outcome are you looking for? Ideally the same fork but with all the missing bits in place, very soon, complete with a return postage paid box to send the "imperfect" fork back. It's not going to happen! If you persist with wanting a "perfect" one, then you may be without a bike for weeks, maybe much longer as the negotiations proceed interminably to a conclusion. So, I guess that your optimum strategy may be to get some compensation for your disappointment. Which given that Fox and just about every other suspension manufacturer doesn't feel the need for %sag engravings, might be judged as of little consequence in the scheme of things.

I have had suspension with and without %sag markings and if I had to place a value on them it would be very small. As @Plummet said, you use them at first set up and then never again for months. Personally, if I haven't got any %sag indicators, I use a tape measure record the pressure and just get on with it. Then I ride the bike and start altering the pressure to get me the ride I'm looking for (which is exactly what I do when the suspension does have %sag markings). My current bike has a Rockshox fork and shock with %sag markings and I have used them a sum total of once each. And that includes their return from servicing a few times. I just set up to the last pressure and the other various settings that I last used and go ride.

Think about this: If %sag markings were an optional extra when buying a new fork, how much extra would you be prepared to pay?
For me, it would be a quid, two at the most. If you have any thoughts of compensation for lost utility, I would moderate them sharply downwards. we are all different, but for me, it wouldn't even be worth the effort of a phone call.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
All 2023 rockshox forks (Pike, Lyrik, Zeb & Boxxer) had the sag gradients removed. The below is a quote from the Rockshox North America PR Manager Chris Mandell.

RockShox no longer engraves sag markings on the fork’s upper tubes. “We saw huge drop in the perceived value of sag gradients on the fork once we came out with our Trailhead web app,”

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
My 2023 Zeb Ultimate does NOT have the markings.

Aren't the same stanchions used on a variety of fork travels?
Seems much more elegant to get rid of the markings and reduce the number of different parts in the inventory.

RiderOnTheStorm

I think you are being a bit of a princess.
What kind of comment is that??? What are you insinuating?

The OP is obviously very disappointed with this purchasing experience at Wiggle. Not getting the discontinued sag markings is one thing, but getting an open box with missing accessories is totally unacceptable and something I would call a scam.

A return for a full refund seems to be in order if still within the legal return window in your country.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
What kind of comment is that??? What are you insinuating?

The OP is obviously very disappointed with this purchasing experience at Wiggle. Not getting the discontinued sag markings is one thing, but getting an open box with missing accessories is totally unacceptable and something I would call a scam.

A return for a full refund seems to be in order if still within the legal return window in your country.
I guess I see a lot of people on forums blaming bike shops of their own lack of research and understanding. In this instance op ripped the fork out the box, installed it. Then proceeded to complain about how terrible the shop was.

If the packaging wasnt up to scratch and components are missing and you are not happy you stop, contact the shop, instigate a return process. This is entirely OP's impatience to install the item without proper due diligence causing himself issues. Its not the wiggles fault he impatiently installed the fork before figuring out some feature was missing.

My call is to own your own mistakes. Take accountability for them and don't blame others.

RiderOnTheStorm

@Plummet Not so fast. I really don't think the OP is to blame as you seem to insinuate.

- Seller didn't deliver the new product ordered (open box is NOT new)

- OP contacted the seller's customer service to explain the issues but no resolution was provided by the seller.

-sometimes you discover issues with a product only after you start assembling or fitting it. This doesn't excuse the seller.

@Pazman you could always try to return the product if you're still within your country's legal return window (for Internet orders).

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
@Plummet Not so fast. I really don't think the OP is to blame as you seem to insinuate.

- Seller didn't deliver the new product ordered (open box is NOT new)

- OP contacted the seller's customer service to explain the issues but no resolution was provided by the seller.

-sometimes you discover issues with a product only after you start assembling or fitting it. This doesn't excuse the seller.

@Pazman you could always try to return the product if you're still within your country's legal return window (for Internet orders).
It sounds like to me op contacted the shop after the fork was installed. You cant expect a refund after you have smashed in a star nut and hammer on a bearing race and maybe even cut the steerer.

Chalk it up to experience and carry on.

I had my brand new 23 Zeb ultimate turn up with my Pole Voima. I too installed it, cut the steerer, smashed in the start nut further down and then went to set sag. I then too noticed no sag marks. My response was "huh". I then got out the ruler and measure sag against the ruler, got on my bike and rode it forgetting about sag marks until I read this thread.

If I was op. I'd be posting how terrible Pole customer service is and how misled I was.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Aren't the same stanchions used on a variety of fork travels?
Seems much more elegant to get rid of the markings and reduce the number of different parts in the inventory.

Yes they are. Rockshox used to etch on multiple sag gauges, to cover the different travels. From my ‘18 lyric:
IMG_2112.jpeg

OP - go smash down some gnarly tech with your new zebs, you will rapidly forget about their lack of laser etching. Or chop them in for some ohlins 38s, which also don’t have a sag gauge, but do have a big gold O on the front.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
.... It's not surprising or unknown that clearing houses like these buy up excess stock at a discount. It could be oe parts, it might be slight different spec.
Lessen learned.
I can’t remember ever buying a bike part online… but my neighbour does with certain satisfaction. I usually buy through the LBS’s in our area (3-4 within 8km). The neibour purchased some Magura mdr rotors on-line for a really good price. I installed them and after his third ride he complained about a weird sound over the rough terrain. I rode with him and sure enough…sounded like he was playing the tambourine…constantly. Those efin rotors.

He rode with them for a few more weeks and eventually couldn’t stand the tambourine noise anymore. He purchased two more from our LBS…I installed them…sound gone…happy neibour.😊Life was good again.

RiderOnTheStorm

If I was op. I'd be posting how terrible Pole customer service is and how misled I was.
Hmmm... I don't believe that.

Using your analogy, if I had received my "new" ebike as open box with some missing accessories or parts, I wouldn't have been happy with the seller and complain, then send everything back and get a refund.

Not everyone would just suck it up!

I think the OP did the right thing to share his deplorable experience buying from Wiggle.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Hmmm... I don't believe that.

Using your analogy, if I had received my "new" ebike as open box with some missing accessories or parts, I wouldn't have been happy with the seller and complain, then send everything back and get a refund.

Not everyone would just suck it up!

I think the OP did the right thing to share his deplorable experience buying from Wiggle.
Well we will get to differ.

When buying online through a discount house you take the discount, but with that discount comes a level of risk/inconvenience that you dont have when ordering through the lbs. Many people take the discount, but then seem supersized and whine when that risk/inconvenience is realised.

The news flash Is that you wont get the same service as a bricks an motor shop. It will be inconvenient and annoying when things go array. Sometimes shit happens.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Lessen learned.
I can’t remember ever buying a bike part online… but my neighbour does with certain satisfaction. I usually buy through the LBS’s in our area (3-4 within 8km). The neibour purchased some Magura mdr rotors on-line for a really good price. I installed them and after his third ride he complained about a weird sound over the rough terrain. I rode with him and sure enough…sounded like he was playing the tambourine…constantly. Those efin rotors.

He rode with them for a few more weeks and eventually couldn’t stand the tambourine noise anymore. He purchased two more from our LBS…I installed them…sound gone…happy neibour.😊Life was good again.
I do a combo. Where possible I order locally. Ordered my Pole online. Nothing came close locally. Had to withstand some inconvenience and extra expense due to the tyranny of distance.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Lessen learned.
I can’t remember ever buying a bike part online… but my neighbour does with certain satisfaction. I usually buy through the LBS’s in our area (3-4 within 8km).

This is a Canada/Europe thing. Over here we don’t really have the same LBS culture that USA and Canada have, most of the LBSs here cater for the budget family bike market, or are the equivalent of the bike shop at the bottom of the ski lift: eye wateringly expensive, it’s only in the last few years there’s been a resurgence of decent LBSs here where they know something about mtbs and serve coffee.

Years of buying from CRC/Wiggle has normalised not paying retail for parts, so LBSs feel expensive, I recently priced up a GX T-type, £1050 at the lbs, or £862 online. As much as I love supporting my lbs, it’s hard to pay $320 more for the exact same thing.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This is a Canada/Europe thing. Over here we don’t really have the same LBS culture that USA and Canada have, most of the LBSs here cater for the budget family bike market…
Yup, it’s probably a cultural thing. Or here in Canada …a geography thing. Having to pay duties on a product from the U.S. or Europe can be a factor if it’s ordered online. Can be a hassle too. (delays, cost, exchange rates, hidden fees, etc.

I don’t think our area is the Mecca of MTBing …but man, it’s pretty close. Even eMTB’s could be surpassing MTBing soon 🤷‍♂️. We are definitely fortunate that there are many high end LBS’s …three within 5-8km, and many others scattered around BC.

But our habits likely differ from “you foreigners”😉. I bought my Brother Printer from a local brick n’ mortar …but I order the ink cartridges from Amazon. A lBS said; “don’t buy the Steady Rack from us…order it from Amazon, it’s cheaper.

I suppose warranty matters. And so does supporting my LBS’s. But that “money thing” has an influence.

Edit;
Ps. Sometimes my grammar structure is chaotic …this is one of those times. 🥴

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Dax

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
This is a Canada/Europe thing. Over here we don’t really have the same LBS culture that USA and Canada have, most of the LBSs here cater for the budget family bike market, or are the equivalent of the bike shop at the bottom of the ski lift: eye wateringly expensive, it’s only in the last few years there’s been a resurgence of decent LBSs here where they know something about mtbs and serve coffee.

Years of buying from CRC/Wiggle has normalised not paying retail for parts, so LBSs feel expensive, I recently priced up a GX T-type, £1050 at the lbs, or £862 online. As much as I love supporting my lbs, it’s hard to pay $320 more for the exact same thing.

Same boat here... I asked my LBS to quote me for a T-Type, and I was about £250 cheaper online.
I bought my frame from them, and have bought several bikes from them over the years (for me and the kids). I can usually find them cheaper online too - but I like having a shop to take them to when needing a motor update or issue / servicing etc.

I asked my LBS about i9 wheels, and they said they didn't deal with i9... however another local store did. Pointed me in their direction, and I paid the same price as everywhere else was selling them in the UK. Must be a standard price from the European distributer.

Although my frame came from my default LBS, I'm going to feel like I've been cheating on them next time I take it in for a FW update and they see I have new wheels, transmission, bars, headset, and various blingy bits!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles