Change travel on a Rockshox Zeb Ultimate 29er fork

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Hi
Can anyone help please ?
Is it possible to extend the travel from 170 mm to 180mm on a Rockshox Zeb Ultimate 29er with a Charger 3 damper with Buttercups without too much drama and expense ?
I'm assuming the airsharf will need to be swapped but what about the damper?

Thanks

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Yes, you can get airshafts now with the buttercups from the usual suspension tuning places, and I believe the damper is the same across all the different travel models.

Airshafts seem to be around £100, so not too expensive, and any drama will depend on your own competence and the right tools and oils being available? You’ll definitely need some good internal retaining ring pliers, and some oil for the lowers, and pay attention to which way around the circlip comes off as it has a sharp and rounded edge either side. Oh, and double check you’ve removed all the air from the spring, otherwise you’ll have an air shaft flying around your workshop.

Depending on how much riding they’ve had, you might want to do a basic service at the same time with some new wiper seals etc, as the lowers need to come off as part of replacing the airshaft.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Thanks , very helpful
I can live with the cost of a new air shaft but a new damper as well would have been too spendy 😱

CraigF.

Jan 19, 2023
Cape Town
I did this is exact conversion (170mm to 180mm) on the same fork and it works like a dream! Very happy with the result ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles