Brake upgrade

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Hi all. I have a Specialized Levo FSR 6Fattie 2018 Electric Mountain Bike fitted with SRAM Level T brake but they seem not very good. I was considering upgrading to hope e4 brakes. Has any one else done this

I've had Hope E4's on a standard bike and loved them. Probably go for V4's for an ebike though.

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
I've got E4s on my Transition Patrol, great brakes but I've found they need regular bleeding, and even my local Hope dealer hasn't been able to sort it.
I had SRAM beforehand and never had to touch them in 2 years.
But that's just my experience, I wouldn't buy them again.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I've got E4s on my Transition Patrol, great brakes but I've found they need regular bleeding, and even my local Hope dealer hasn't been able to sort it.
I had SRAM beforehand and never had to touch them in 2 years.
But that's just my experience, I wouldn't buy them again.

A mate has Guide RE's on his ebike and loves them. Codes or Saints would be my choice.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I used the hopes on a demo bike and they had the best lever feel of anything ive tried. On my regular bike I use saints and xt's, because they just keep working. Never going to bleed the codes on my kenevo, they'll go on eBay the minute the feel like they need bleeding

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I used the hopes on a demo bike and they had the best lever feel of anything ive tried. On my regular bike I use saints and xt's, because they just keep working. Never going to bleed the codes on my kenevo, they'll go on eBay the minute the feel like they need bleeding

I’ve got a Canyon on order that comes with Zees. Can’t wait to try them. I’ve had loads of SLX and XT’s. Always found them great. Hopes were spot on though and looked so good. Lever feel and adjustability were the best I’ve had.

Reactions: Dax

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
The Shimano Saints are phantastic brakes, but only make sense if you need the added adjustment function. If not, the Shimano Zee have exactly the same brake power and use the same pads, for a much lesser price tag.

Good to hear. Don’t think I’ve heard anything negative about the zee’s. Always good in reviews. Always found Shimano easy to bleed etc as well.

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
I did grumble about my E4s earlier , but I still bought more Hopes for my gravel bike so I suppose I like them
IMG_20180827_173036985.jpg
really.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Good to hear. Don’t think I’ve heard anything negative about the zee’s. Always good in reviews. Always found Shimano easy to bleed etc as well.
I changed to Shimano new 4-piston XT brakes with 203 rotors.
I have in my Transition Patrol Saints and not much different

Easy to bleed and use mineral oil

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

Got a link? I've not seen the 4pot XT yet

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk

I have those on my levo fantastic brakes and in my opinion more modulation than the saints but still just as powerful and they use mineral oil which in my book is a plus.
I think they are designated sh 8020 and they look like saint calipers with xt levers

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I have those on my levo fantastic brakes and in my opinion more modulation than the saints but still just as powerful and they use mineral oil which in my book is a plus.
I think they are designated sh 8020 and they look like saint calipers with xt levers

I've seen a review shortly where the new 4-piston XT brakes have been titled as the Shimano "all mountain / enduro" brakes. They really have a smoother modulation and are a bit lighter, but not as powerful as the Zee and Saint which are made for the "downhill" category of bikes. Good for us, we have more choices now ^^

JayK

Aug 3, 2018
Belgium
I upgraded to Shimano Saint and man does it feel good to have unlimited braking power !

I'm actually having fun braking later and managing fonrt and rear where before, I was basically pulling on the lever as hard as I could. (I'm 100kg fully equipped. Ok maybe 102kg.)

Aug 3, 2018
St agnes cornwall
Ok you people are starting to sway me a little. Just looked at zees at evans and there just under 100. Can i use discs that are allready on my bike and do i need different mounts to fit the calipers on. Also I have SRAM GX, one-click shift-lever that's mounted to brake leaver. Will saints or zees fit direct to shifter. Sorry for the questions. Not bought bike parts for many years

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Ok you people are starting to sway me a little. Just looked at zees at evans and there just under 100. Can i use discs that are allready on my bike and do i need different mounts to fit the calipers on. Also I have SRAM GX, one-click shift-lever that's mounted to brake leaver. Will saints or zees fit direct to shifter. Sorry for the questions. Not bought bike parts for many years
My LBS say no, so you might have to change the disks too

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I've seen a review shortly where the new 4-piston XT brakes have been titled as the Shimano "all mountain / enduro" brakes. They really have a smoother modulation and are a bit lighter, but not as powerful as the Zee and Saint which are made for the "downhill" category of bikes. Good for us, we have more choices now ^^
They say, that the new XT 4-piston brakes are about 3-4% weaker than Saints?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
you will be able to use the same discs if they are sram, I did without problem
you should be able to use the same mounts but sometimes sram brake caliper are mounted on spacer but should fit.
I swapped from sram to shimano without problems

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have the new xt four pot and I have saints and the only difference I would say is modulation

Reactions: Dax

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
also do bear in mind if you do have to change the caliper mounts the shimano ones are 203 not 200

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles