Brake Problems

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
I need to replace my pads on Shimano BR-MT520 fronts and the two pots on the left were stuck out a long way - the left pad completely worn out. Went to ease them back in and top one popped out??
Told I need a service kit but cant see anywhere for that model??
What is the fix and where to buy.

6233f13f-01b8-48d8-b8f5-4966f5dc39a2.jpg

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Sorry, was dashing for the door when I wrote and posted. So yes, the ceramic pad at the top popped out, oil everywhere. Do I just need something like this:
And a case of separating the cover, re-setting the new callipers and seals and then re-oiling / bleeding etc...

I just can not find anywhere if the callipers are brake specific, none mention MT520's. Of course all advice gratefully taken. Thank you.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Factoring in time and effort, as well as risk that they still won't work well after the rebuild, you might be better off just getting a new caliper. About $90 USD.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
If the pistons aren't cracked you should be able to carefully ease them back in, but first you'll need to clean the dirt off them first.

Dip a cotton bud in Shimano mineral oil and carefully wipe the dirt off the pistons. This will also lubricate them.
Both look like they are not parallel to the bore, so when pushing in you'll need to keep them straight.

Try using a good plastic tyre lever or a piece of wood to ease them back in. Open the bleed screw on the brake lever as well.

Once you have them back in, you'll need to do a re-bleed but you'll also have to cure the two stuck pistons in the other caliper half

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There’s a brake block from r3pro that helps free up stuck calipers. I just ordered one for my Shimano brakes. It allows you to extend and clean each piston individually. Calvin from Park Tools uses a cotton string as a floss to clean each piston. I’ve had this problem a number of times with dirt and grime. Looks like it should work. I don’t know about pushing the piston back in though.

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Thanks guys - cant believe these 'could' be described as a throwaway item? I think I'll have a go at taking everything apart and keep the "buy a new one" in the back pocket incase I need it!! Of course, finding a MT520 in stock is quite another thing!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There is no service kit.
if your piston is not damaged it can be reseated in the bore.
if you are struggling to do it on the bike. Remove the whole caliper. (You're going to have to re-fill and bleed the system anyway.

If you can't re-fit the piston. Your only option is to buy a new caliper. It doesn't have to be an MT520 caliper.

I only skim read the thread. Apologies if I've missed something important ;)

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
@Gary - thanks. I'll have a go at some DIY and then if that goes wrong will try a new one. What would you suggest if not the 520 - I'm not a downhiller, just a weekender - don't want to complete change everything - would like to keep the mount and lever if poss without spending the months house keeping on this.
Thank you.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
what I meant was if you genuinely can't get hold of an MT520 caliper there are plenty other Shimano mtb calipers which could be used.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Use this to help with unsticking and balancing the pistons.
It was written for old school saint brakes but will work (with the correct fluid) for any 4 pot brake

It does assume that the seal(s) are still good, which may or may not be the case.

Crazee horse

Sep 20, 2020
Uk
I've got the same callipers, I cleaned mine with miner oil and then importantly cleaned that off! Don't want any lube anywhere near those pads.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Take a look at the can...the brake cleaner is probably IPA!! ( Isopropyl Alcohol).

Either will do. Put a rag under the calliper through the mount...you dont want either on your paintwork.

E-Bandit

Sep 1, 2020
Australia
I had the same problem with the 4 piston SLX. M7120, piston was cracked on the inside and wouldn’t go all the way back in, had to order a whole new caliber, although I have now seen u can buy after market pistons for Shimano brakes,

I will be doing a warranty with Shimano as they have two year warranty.

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
**UPDATE**
Took everything apart and cleaned all items. Popped the pistons back in and the seemed ok. Did a full brake bleed with. Spun the wheel and perfect stop. spun the wheel again and the screech of death... pads still 'on'. Looks like the pistons are not retracting? Pushed them back in and tried again, the same - first stop excellent but then no return?
Have I missed something? Or will there be an air hole/crack somewhere? Do I need to buy new?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
**UPDATE**
Took everything apart and cleaned all items. Popped the pistons back in and the seemed ok. Did a full brake bleed with. Spun the wheel and perfect stop. spun the wheel again and the screech of death... pads still 'on'. Looks like the pistons are not retracting? Pushed them back in and tried again, the same - first stop excellent but then no return?
Have I missed something? Or will there be an air hole/crack somewhere? Do I need to buy new?

Either you can attempt more trial and error repairs, with likely the same outcome, or new caliper time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles