Brake Pad Recommendation - 2020 Jam2

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Hi Everyone,

I need your help and guidance on the correct/best brake pads. As a newbie, on the brakes more often :cautious: I am riding the 2020 Focus Jam2 6.8 Nine. I am still running the original Shimano BR-MT520, 4 piston brakes.

From the research I have done, I believe a sintered brake pads are the way to go. Can you recommend what will work/fit on the bike so I can purchase online (even a link would be great);
  • Brand
  • Specifications details
  • Any other considerations
Also highly recommend the Shimano TL-BT03-S Bleed Kit, so easy to use even a novice like me can do it at home!

Thanks for your help

Si1

Jun 6, 2019
OX18
Hi Everyone,

I need your help and guidance on the correct/best brake pads. As a newbie, on the brakes more often :cautious: I am riding the 2020 Focus Jam2 6.8 Nine. I am still running the original Shimano BR-MT520, 4 piston brakes.

From the research I have done, I believe a sintered brake pads are the way to go. Can you recommend what will work/fit on the bike so I can purchase online (even a link would be great);
  • Brand
  • Specifications details
  • Any other considerations
Also highly recommend the Shimano TL-BT03-S Bleed Kit, so easy to use even a novice like me can do it at home!

Thanks for your help

I bought some multi compound pads from the link below (I have a Jam2 with Mt520 brakes). Haven't fitted them yet, so can't give any feedback, but they seem to have good reviews.

Shimano BR-MT520 - D02S Brake 4 Piston Multi compound disc brake pads Shimano BR-MT520 - D02S Brake 4 Piston Multi compound disc brake pads

*edit - sorry, didn't realise you weren't in the UK.

Last edited:

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Hi Si1, AWESOME. Thanks for the link, I have checked it out. Good reviews and great price, I am going to give them a go - they ship worldwide!

Happy riding.

Cheers from Aust

Reactions: Si1

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hi Si1, AWESOME. Thanks for the link, I have checked it out. Good reviews and great price, I am going to give them a go - they ship worldwide!

Happy riding.

Cheers from Aust
I think I'm going to go that route too. Seems like they ship to California as well. I found that I can add the mt520 brake caliper to my 2018 Focus using the existing tubing and levers, I-spec II. The calipers are only $50. each on ebay but come with metallic pads. These Gorilla pads seem to be a great compromise. I'm hoping I get some improvement over the 2 piston Deore XT finned brakes I have.

Oh I don't think that finned brake pads fit these mt520's without some fin trimming so the H style pads might not work as is. I was going to buy the Shimano G03S pads but they are tough to find locally it seems.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
The H03A resin pads with the fins will work but you have to cut one fin on one of the pads as shown in this video (I think they are cutting the metal version, H03C):
I just wanted to update this, you don't have to cut one of the fins. The youtube video had them on backwards and did an update. I'm using them now but the h03 pads seem to squeal a lot. I've cleaned them a number of times and they were clean and dry when installed but they still tend to squeal on long downhills like they are getting hot. I'm ordered some from the link called out above. the H03 fits but is not well supported under the fins and may tend to vibrate. I just don't like how they look and Shimano doesn't list the h03 as a option. Playing safe and going to the std d03S style without the cooling fins. But the m520 brakes are big improvement for me.

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the info really appreciate it. ?
I just ordered the mt520 and the h03A pads. I would like to try the Gorilla pads for this eventually too. They seem a bit too good to be true with their "life" claims. I wonder how they compare to the H03A pads. My downhills are usually not that long here so I probably don't really need the fins but will try them out anyway and see how it goes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles