2020 Jam2 6.8 nine mullet?

Marquez93

Oct 21, 2021
Kent, UK
I would like to try a 27.5" rear wheel in my Jam2 which currently has 29"
Has anyone done it?
Is it possible to reprogramme the Bosch Kiox re. The wheel size change?
I'm struggling to get a wheel at the moment as they seem a tricky combination for some reason... another problem lol.
Cheers

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
I've gone mullet on my Sam2, love it. I don't van the Kiox, but went to my local Bosch Bike dealer and let him change the wheel size to the smallest it would go to.

DT Swiss H-1900 35mm
Schwalbe Big Betty 27.5" x 2.80"

Marquez93

Oct 21, 2021
Kent, UK
I've gone mullet on my Sam2, love it. I don't van the Kiox, but went to my local Bosch Bike dealer and let him change the wheel size to the smallest it would go to.

DT Swiss H-1900 35mm
Schwalbe Big Betty 27.5" x 2.80"
I've just found out i will have to lower my caliper, as I bought the bike 2nd hand its not with the bike.
Do you have the bracket? If so could you take a pic and post here so I can try and buy one.
I have everything else, Nukeproof wheel, sensor etc, just need the bracket
Cheers

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
I've just found out i will have to lower my caliper, as I bought the bike 2nd hand its not with the bike.
Do you have the bracket? If so could you take a pic and post here so I can try and buy one.
I have everything else, Nukeproof wheel, sensor etc, just need the bracket
Cheers
You only need the bracket if you want to keep the steeper geometry and want a shorter chainstay. I left it in the same position as the 29" wheel, the high position. That way it's slacker and the bb is lower. Still the bb height is 350mm, which is not low by any standard. And the longer chainstay is better for climbing and stability on the downs.

Be aware that I have the 2021 sam2, which is that same as the 2022 model.

If you still want it, this is the part for the 2021 sam2:
KD325920110 POST MOUNT ADAPTER "203MM LOW"

See attachments for geometry and parts. You can find similar info in the faq sections on the focus website.

p6pb19369461.jpg

Attachments

• FOCUS_MY21_Explo_Website_Focus-Sam2-Bosch-AL-AL.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Marquez93

Oct 21, 2021
Kent, UK
You only need the bracket if you want to keep the steeper geometry and want a shorter chainstay. I left it in the same position as the 29" wheel, the high position. That way it's slacker and the bb is lower. Still the bb height is 350mm, which is not low by any standard. And the longer chainstay is better for climbing and stability on the downs.

See attachments for geometry and parts. You can find similar info in the faq sections on the focus website.

View attachment 82478
Thank you for the great response.
I must admit I was disappointed when I found out about the disc mount, but I will give a try with the chips in the standard position.

Marquez93

Oct 21, 2021
Kent, UK

View attachment 82478
I've tried the mullet with the chips set to 29er... a few pedal strikes and it felt a bit weird.
That aside I'm working on a solution for the mount as they work out to about 70 quid when you add delivery and import duty.
I will know by the end of this week if my idea works... Yes it will be "creative" and take me some time, but I can do it at work so it's not all bad

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
I've tried the mullet with the chips set to 29er... a few pedal strikes and it felt a bit weird.
That aside I'm working on a solution for the mount as they work out to about 70 quid when you add delivery and import duty.
I will know by the end of this week if my idea works... Yes it will be "creative" and take me some time, but I can do it at work so it's not all bad

On the Sam2 the bb height is 350 in mullet setup, so no pedal strikes.

Marquez93

Oct 21, 2021
Kent, UK
On the Sam2 the bb height is 350 in mullet setup, so no pedal strikes.
I adjusted a bracket i found on the tinternet in the end, not a manufactured finish but it works.
Ran the mullet with the chip flipped at BPW at the weekend and it was great, gave me markedly quicker changes of direction.
Actually, the bike was far better than me as I had an 'off' that ended my weekend. 🤷‍♂️
Here's the before and after... Don't dig me out as it was a quick version 1 solution, version 2 may follow.

20220310_174043.jpg

20220311_215324.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles