Brake hardware (screws etc)

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Random question...

Does anyone have conical washers on their rear brakes?

For the last 3 years I've just had standard bolts with a washer straight through the brake and into the frame. I don't have any postmount adapter on the rear (180mm rotors) but have never had an issue. The bolts were tightened up with the brakes applied, and there is no rub on them. MT7's - so minimal clearance too.

My front rotor is 203mm, and I have the conical washers on the screws for that. The front ones take a lot more effort to get the clearance on the rotors.

I was away to order some nice shiny titanium bolts, and wondered if I 'should' have the conical washers on the rear too?

RiderOnTheStorm

Yes. All my caliper bolts (front and rear) have the ajustement washers, also called cup & cone washers. They sit under the bold head and look like this:

caliperbolt.jpg

mount.jpg

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yes. All my caliper bolts (front and rear) have the ajustement washers, also called cup & cone washers. They sit under the bold head and look like this:

View attachment 126158
View attachment 126159

I have them on the front, but not on the rear. I had a look on google at manufacturers stock photos and most have them on the rear.

I did wonder if they were only a requirement if you had a post mount adapter for your brakes though - which was maybe why I don’t have them at the rear?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thanks! I guess that's why I don't have them on the rear, as my mounts are parallel to my brake.
I'll order some anyway - won't do any harm to have them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles