Bosch Smart motor 2022 - walk assist problems

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
My friend just reported the same issue, the walk assist goes of and on. I spoke to a Bosch representative today, and he didn't know about the issue. Will meet him again next week, and I will try to show him a bike with the problem

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
Inside the settings which are accessible by the dealer it is possible to adjust the walk assist mode. I am hoping they will be able to rectify things. Maybe... The fault isn't with the speed but the starting and stopping.
Screenshot_20221103-131607.png

Nejc

Oct 11, 2022
Slovenija
I spoke to my dealer yesterday and he informed me that Bosch is preparing a major software upgrade of the system in the first half of November.
and hopefully the problem will be solved. Apparently grumbling on the forums is having an effect.

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I spoke to my dealer yesterday and he informed me that Bosch is preparing a major software upgrade of the system in the first half of November.
and hopefully the problem will be solved. Apparently grumbling on the forums is having an effect.
The update was out this morning. It included navigation on the Kiox 300 among other things.

I just went and tested the walk assist and can confirm it pushes along in a uniform steady power. Much better than what it was previously.

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
Sad Face... I updated too and the walk mode is still not functioning. Just as useless as before. It moves a metre then slows to a snails pace, then normal for another metre repeat. It is a 3 hour drive to my dealer and they are not sure they can fix it.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Same here new software, but walk mode still rubbish.
I have the 2022 Rail, two of my mates also have the new Rail and both their walk mode is rubbish.
However another friend has got the new Pole with the Bosch smart system, and his walk mode works fine??
It's this a Trek issue??

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
Same here new software, but walk mode still rubbish.
I have the 2022 Rail, two of my mates also have the new Rail and both their walk mode is rubbish.
However another friend has got the new Pole with the Bosch smart system, and his walk mode works fine??
It's this a Trek issue??
No. I have a Focus with the same issue.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just to try and cross things off the list.

Is this happening with the brake disk speed sensors and the rim speed sensors ?

1667639154973.png

Rim/valve magnet

I take it this is consistent with people using the bikes stock and with volspeed 4's (for example).

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It must work on some bikes. You can clearly see it working here on a Thron with the smart system. When he stops walking you can see the wheel still spinning in the snow.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Just to try and cross things off the list.

Is this happening with the brake disk speed sensors and the rim speed sensors ?

View attachment 100840
Rim/valve magnet

I take it this is consistent with people using the bikes stock and with volspeed 4's (for example).
Yes my bike is completely standard.
This is really weird, how can the same hardware and software yield different results?
But it appears that there is definitely two different outcomes, either your bike pulls constantly or you get the pulsing power delivery.
To try an eliminate different brands responding differently, is anyone else on this forum with a 2022 Trek Rail which has the new smart system, getting the walk mode to work with a constant power delivery?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Is the difference whether or not the hill start function is implemented? For those not familiar the hill start function is the one that locks the back wheel to prevent the bike rolling backwards.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Is the difference whether or not the hill start function is implemented? For those not familiar the hill start function is the one that locks the back wheel to prevent the bike rolling backwards.
No, my bikes walk mode has been the same, with and without the hill start feature.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Just an observation, I tried to engage walk mode today while I was holding the bike up on its back wheel, in order to get through a narrow fence going up hill.
I noticed that the mode would not activate, it didn't even show on the screen while I was pressing the button.
As soon as the bike was back with two wheels in the ground it started working again?
This indicates to me that there is another sensor in play, maybe it's due to how this sensor orientates in a particular bike that dictates how the walk mode works??

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just an observation, I tried to engage walk mode today while I was holding the bike up on its back wheel, in order to get through a narrow fence going up hill.
I noticed that the mode would not activate, it didn't even show on the screen while I was pressing the button.
As soon as the bike was back with two wheels in the ground it started working again?
This indicates to me that there is another sensor in play, maybe it's due to how this sensor orientates in a particular bike that dictates how the walk mode works??
interesting observation! I guess the hill start function must know that the bike is on an incline so yes looks like there is another sensor at play.
ps pushing the bike up on the back wheel is easiest when the back wheel is well forward of the bars............sadly my winter mudhugger prevents me getting that angle but it works in the summer when that is not on the bike!!

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
When I switch to small cog the walk mode works almost normally, without disruptions. The bigger the cog the worse. The problem is that usually when I need the walk mode, I'm on the largest gear.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Mine works fine, just need to select a really low gear so that it gives minimum rear wheel drive. But some conditions it's better to push the bike, like when it's really slippery and the rear wheel will just spin.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I have a 2022 Cube stereo hybrid 160 with the Bosch smart system and the walk assit seems fine when I've had to use it , it also has hill hold when you stop pressing the button which is handy.
I will give it a try next time out over a longer distance, maybe 10 metres or so and report back

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I just updated My system and put the walk assist speed to max (can’t remember what speed that is), and today on a steep snowy trail tried it for the first time. In 3rd gear it worked perfectly, just like my 2021 rail. It was almost dragging me along, not the other way around

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
My 2021 Rail 7's walk mode works at a walking speed (y)
I helped an older rider get his 2022 Rail 9.9 (Smart System) up a steep, loose climb. His walk mode was on and off, and very slow when it was on (n)

Last edited:

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I just updated My system and put the walk assist speed to max (can’t remember what speed that is), and today on a steep snowy trail tried it for the first time. In 3rd gear it worked perfectly, just like my 2021 rail. It was almost dragging me along, not the other way around
Where do you change the walk assist speed? In the flow app or??

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
My 2021 Rail 7's walk mode works at a walking speed (y)
I helped an older rider get his 2022 Rail 9.9 (Smart System) up a steep, loose climb. His walk mode was on and off, and very slow when it was on (n)
Sounds like the problem with the 2022 Rail is the same as my 2022 Focus.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles