Bosch or Shimano motor

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I have had zero problems with my e8000 (3500 miles, sold the bike) and my EP8 (2000 miles and counting). No problems with the motor or the batteries. The EP8 is noticeably better than the e8000, as it should be with 21% more torque. Both have a great ride feel and I like that. All the tests say that the Bosch motor delivers the peak torque earlier, which obviously suits many people, judging by comments.
My most frequent riding buddy got over 5000 miles out of his e8000 before it failed mechanically at one month before the two-year warranty period was up. That was last year. He got a new motor without a problem. He is still on the same battery, again without any problems (unless he is suffering in silence of course).
I certainly agree about the feel. The Bosch feels like you've got a punchy motor strapped to your bike, the E8000 makes it feel like you're incredibly fit.

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
Back in 2017 I bought a Trek Powerfly. The CX motor failed due to water ingress and was replaced under warranty by Bosch. A few months later, Bosch replaced the second motor for the same reason. The second motor also failed and Bosch offered a compromise - a further replacement motor for which I paid half price, £350.
I disassembled the second motor and replaced the drive side main bearing which had seized. Luckily the rest of the motor was undamaged, although the drive shaft beneath the bearing was in poor state.
The problem with CX motors was that the drive shaft entry to the motor was protected only by grease and an inadequate plastic seal. Water and grit readily grind the grease to useless paste. I hope that Bosch have managed to solve this problem with better seals. No similar problems so far with my EP8 RS touch wood.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
En 6 años dos E8000 con 30000 km uno y 20000 km otro, ningun problema de motor ni bateria

IMG_20230130_110636.jpg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Back in 2017 I bought a Trek Powerfly. The CX motor failed due to water ingress and was replaced under warranty by Bosch. A few months later, Bosch replaced the second motor for the same reason. The second motor also failed and Bosch offered a compromise - a further replacement motor for which I paid half price, £350.
I disassembled the second motor and replaced the drive side main bearing which had seized. Luckily the rest of the motor was undamaged, although the drive shaft beneath the bearing was in poor state.
The problem with CX motors was that the drive shaft entry to the motor was protected only by grease and an inadequate plastic seal. Water and grit readily grind the grease to useless paste. I hope that Bosch have managed to solve this problem with better seals. No similar problems so far with my EP8 RS touch wood.
Performance line bearings did an aftermarket seal kit to address this problem on the older cx motor. It seems to have been resolved on the newer gen4 motors.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Always had Shimano motors and thought they were great, main bike is an Orbea Rise (With 85Nm) However just got a Cube Reaction hardtail with a Bosch, and the difference in power is astounding! People say the Shimano is more natural, but I think most of that is because it’s not as powerful.. Next full sus will be Bosch for sure.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I’ve ridden both back to back. I find the Shimano to be slightly more in tune with pedaling and more natural. It’s also slightly better at an uphill restart, as it applies power very quickly. But then the Yamaha is actually faster at that. The Bosch Kiox display blows away the shimano display. I would not hesitate to buy either one.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
You seem to be one lucky individual there
I am very lucky since I usually ride an ebike almost every day of the year, here in Las Vegas del Guadiana there are many sunny days and little rain, my routes are about 40 km along agricultural tracks and trails.
Clean the engine area, (only with a damp microfiber cloth).
I charge the battery every day I go out.
I use the etuning APP to tune the E8000.
After 19,500 km with the same battery, it is at 78%.
Never use a scarcher or a hose when cleaning the ebike, maybe that's the key?

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. I remember a Dodge bigot bragging to me about how he barely did any maintenance and his Dodge was still fine. "Great," I thought, "how does this apply to a non-idiot who does do proper maintenance?"

I did find one annoyance with my Shimano bike this weekend. There's an automatic "maintenance reminder" built in, and it looks like it can only be reset with the PC connection unit and software. This is normally a dealer part. That's so stupid. All the docs tell you is "see your dealer."

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles