Bosch cx, crank all stiff after storage

jadamasa

Feb 16, 2020
norway
My bike around 3years old had been unused for a week or two, when taking the bike out I foundt the crank\chainring was all stiff (i controlled well that it was the crank not anything else in drivetrain that was immovable). I had to make a decent amount of force on the pedal for it to finally move, after getting possible to move again it seemed fine and normal. It was quite dirty so I cleaned and took for a ride and could not feel anything strange. Next day it felt a tiny bit sluggish at first touch at pedal but afterwards normal.

Should I bee worried about the motor?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
My bike around 3years old had been unused for a week or two, when taking the bike out I foundt the crank\chainring was all stiff (i controlled well that it was the crank not anything else in drivetrain that was immovable). I had to make a decent amount of force on the pedal for it to finally move, after getting possible to move again it seemed fine and normal. It was quite dirty so I cleaned and took for a ride and could not feel anything strange. Next day it felt a tiny bit sluggish at first touch at pedal but afterwards normal.

Should I bee worried about the motor?
This is a very common scenario caused when the bike has been stored while water was present in the bearings. The bearings dry out and the balls rust to the races. The motor will work and feel fine once the bearing is freed and used but unfortunately, this is the beginning of the end for the bearing. When rust develops in the bearing it puts small pits in the balls and races and this will now slowly destroy the bearing. If you're in warranty just ride until it gets noisy and exchange it. If out of warranty, get them checked and changed.
This normally happens if you have managed to get water into the bearing while washing the bike before storing it. Or following a particularly wet ride.
I would also recommend fitting our MudStop and crankshaft bearing seal.

jadamasa

Feb 16, 2020
norway
Thanks a lot you for your insightful reply. I am out of warranty. You have anything against water ingression on left side or is that not an issue?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The left hand crankshaft bearing does fail but not so often. It doesn't get as much abuse as the right-side bearings because there is no sprocket or chain that side. We do have a seal for the left hand bearing but it's still at prototype stage.

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
This just happened to my mine it's so seized you can jump on it and it does not move!
It's really frustrating this is the second motor I have killed and I'm really careful with it I clean behind the chain ring and grease behind the seal periodically with Bosch grease.
Oh well another new motor with another 2 year warranty could be worse

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
This just happened to my mine it's so seized you can jump on it and it does not move!
It's really frustrating this is the second motor I have killed and I'm really careful with it I clean behind the chain ring and grease behind the seal periodically with Bosch grease.
Oh well another new motor with another 2 year warranty could be worse
Tried these? Nothing gets by the crankshaft seal and the MudStop is much better than the Bosch bearing cover. Use the new Bosch "tacky" grease (or similar) if you're not already. All put together makes a big difference.
If you don't hose the crank or carry your bike on a car car rack without the motor being covered in the wet, it should last you for years (y)

Attachments

• Seal instruction.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 597

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles