Blevo Users with 1.3motor, what's your wh/km

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Trying to prove/decide if my battery is faulty or if I'm faulty. I generally get considerably less range than I'd expect and considerably less using the brose in eco and trail than on my previous Shimano in Trail - which at the same time gave more assistance than the brose trail settings I'm using.

Presently on Eco 20/20 , Trail 45/45 and Turbo 100/100

Blevo calculates the Wh used based on battery depletion rather than directly measuring the current being used by the motor.

Scrolling down through Blevo after yesterdays ride it shows the average consumption per KM

ECO - 9.41Wh/km
TRAIL - 18.05 Wh/km
TURBO - 26.33 Wh/km - though this seems to rise to about 32 Wh/km on other rides ...

Has anyone else got any results I can compare with ? Ideally with similar assistance settings, but even if they're not it will still give some indication of my sanity or lack of. Thanks.

Edit. I should add, rider weight approx 70kgs

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just reading around on the Blevo thread for similar information, results are mixed ..

Another Kenevo Expert from @itaylorweb ,

- Movement time: 2:03:38
- Total kilometers: 29.05 km (▲ 11.5 km | ▼ 10.5 km | = 7.1 km)
- Average speed: 14.1 km/h
- Total ascent: +806 m
- Consumed: 92% (443Wh)
- Average consumption per KM: 21.72 Wh/km
- Wh ride: 653.8Wh
- Biker: 32.2% (210.8Wh)
- Battery: 67.8% (443Wh)

Which was using "smart power", so presumably reducing consumption.. itaylorweb is carrying about 20kg's more muscle than me. but the power usage is similar ... and greedy !!!

Meanwhile @Stumpy , who has a range extender, so ignore that .. no idea about body mass or exact motor ..

- Elapsed time: 0:56:12
- Miles total: 15.18 mi
- Speed average: 16.2 mph
- Ascent total: +1049 ft
- Battery Consumed: 46% (231 Wh + 115 Wh)
- Consumption average: 15.22 Wh/mi
- Wh ride: 422Wh
- Wh Biker: 18.0% (76Wh)
- Wh Battery: 82.0% (346Wh)

15.22Wh/mi consumption average with WH battery at 82% ?? So that's 9.51 wh/km average..

@itaylorweb how did you get on with your settings ? or did you have a faulty battery ?

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
What are you comparing apples with?
Are the tires similar?
Is the suspension similar?
This one has a belt so maybe 3 areas where your energy is going???

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Red, whilst your input is greatly appreciated and has been sorely missed (like a sore thumb) .. it's a Specialized thread, not a Yamaha or Haibike thread.

I'm comparing Blevo results (which you don't use) ideally on 1.3 motors (which you don't have or know anything about). On Levo's and Kenevo's - which you don't own, know nothing about, dislike because they are not yamahas or haibikes. The tyre difference will be at max 10% differences in rolling resistance with bikes that most likely will not have a belt because they'll all be using chains and a couple may have Rohloff hubs and in the scheme of things any differences in suspension will also make only tiny percentage differences. But eitherway, I'm trying to get some rough figures as mine seem way off .. not a few % .. So kindly go and annoy someone else and talk totally rubbish on another thread - if you read though you'll find lots of people have missed you and are waiting for your wisdom.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@McInner1 Thanks for that, hadn't seen that thread before.

Your quote :

"I have now driven 10 full charge cycles with my 2019 Levo (700 Wh).
In total I have reached 900 km, 22,000 m elevation-gain and 65 hours on bike.
(7 Wh per kilometer are also a valid average-value here, too.)

One of the tours ( 6,7 Wh/km):"

I'm on 12 charge cycles and under 290km's ... :) (500wh - well, 488) so 24km's a charge cycle average. Unfortunately, that doesn't prove the battery is faulty. It could just suggest I ride everywhere on Turbo, which I don't ... So, average 20wh/km. Just seems obscenely high for the physical effort I'm putting in.

The example ride you gave was impressive in it's efficiency. I'm generally lucky to get over 1000 meters climb, yet I'm riding carefully and getting 98 or 99% motor efficiency.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Presently on Eco 20/20 , Trail 45/45 and Turbo 100/100
ECO - 9.41Wh/km
TRAIL - 18.05 Wh/km
TURBO - 26.33 Wh/km - though this seems to rise to about 32 Wh/km on other rides ...

You’ve said BLEvo calculates this values as a result of battery depletion.
So, it is the same way of calculation I did.
And yes - although your settings are higher than mine (10/30 - 30/60 - 60/100) - the Wh-consumption seems to be too high.
If I do kind of fun-ride - mainly using Trail (30/60) - and I ride fast in the woods uphill and downhill - let‘s say average 150 Watt rider input: I hardly go beyond 10 Wh/km.

Have you ever tried to monitor a ride with Mission Control? I think you can read the real current your motor takes. If then there is a big difference in BLEvo-numbers and MC-numbers it would be a proof that your battery is faulty.

This is such a short „fun-ride“ mainly with Trail-mode:
Mödling Mountainbiken
Wh-consumption: 9 Wh/km

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If I do kind of fun-ride - mainly using Trail (30/60) - and I ride fast in the woods uphill and downhill - let‘s say average 150 Watt rider input: I hardly go beyond 10 Wh/km.
OK, so if I was doing that I'd be seeing 18-20 Wh/km - which as you say seems too high ...

Have you ever tried to monitor a ride with Mission Command? I think you can read the real current your motor takes. If then there is a big difference in BLEvo-numbers and MC-numbers it would be a proof that your battery is faulty.

I've done a few with mission control now, but tend to run blevo with the battery announcements being read out on full volume as I worry about running out ! :) And Blevo gives more information for me trying to understand my consumption.

I did two short ones with Mission control the other day. 5km's consisting of a descent followed by 2km's of undulating but generally level and then a climb of about 100m- all in Trail 45/45 - this used 10%. Mission control said I'd used 53wh, so that made sense. I then did 5km's mainly descent in eco 20/20 an a flat section. Mission Control said I'd used 7wh, but another 9% battery was gone... So it doesn't really make any sense !

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Maybe you should do a fixed standard tour of about 10km with some elevation gain twice and compare the real Wh-consumption motor-current-measured and the calculated Wh-consumption via battery-depletion.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I would go for a ride & try to replicate but I am waiting on a 34.9 seat post to use while my Reverb is being fixed or replaced. I did look through past rides & found one with kind of similar settings 20/50/100, 14 km +190m firetrail, ~70 kg:

Average consumption per KM: 7.50 Wh/km
- ECO 4.41 Wh/km
- TRAIL 11.10 Wh/km
- TURBO 10.67 Wh/km

There is definitely something going on with your battery.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Maybe you could graph a ride in Eco from 100% charged all the way to LVC - low voltage cutout - then use BLEvo to graph the ride using battery on the left / battery wh on the right - then explore by individually adding & removing (so as not to overpopulate the graph) - voltage, instant current, motor power & battery temperature - especially going up steep slopes - so you can see what’s going on under load. The interesting part will be the lower right side of the graph as the battery nears LVC

IMG_2513.jpg

Last edited:

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Just reading around on the Blevo thread for similar information, results are mixed ..

Which was using "smart power", so presumably reducing consumption.. itaylorweb is carrying about 20kg's more muscle than me. but the power usage is similar ... and greedy !!!

Meanwhile @Stumpy , who has a range extender, so ignore that .. no idea about body mass or exact motor ..

15.22Wh/mi consumption average with WH battery at 82% ?? So that's 9.51 wh/km average..

@itaylorweb how did you get on with your settings ? or did you have a faulty battery ?

If it helps I’ve got the 1.3 and full loaded come in at approx 75kgs

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Maybe you could graph a ride in Eco from 100% charged all the way to LVC - low voltage cutout - then use BLEvo to graph the ride using battery on the left / battery wh on the right - then explore by individually adding & removing (so as not to overpopulate the graph) - voltage, instant current, motor power & battery temperature - especially going up steep slopes - so you can see what’s going on under load

Read the Blevo instructions last night and learnt a lot .. but didn't know you could do that !!! I will have a play . Thanks .. Even just from comparing it with the previous bike and then looking at yours and Stumpys results, it seems like its way way way off what it should be. Yes, I can go 40km's on it .. but I need to ride it like an analogue bike for that and still possible ride with a flat battery for some of it, crosses the line of why it's an e-bike !!! My Legs are still throbbing from my 38k ride on eco and motor off 1300m and the final 5km climb back home with a flat battery.... :)

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Yes if I had to guess, I'd say it's the signature of a fried cell or 2. I think that could be indicated by steeper voltage drops on the graph though not necessarily by the reported Battery Wh according to what I understand from comments by the BLEvo developer

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You should contact your lbs!
There must be an electrical problem.

Sadly, there was already a thread on this .. when I thought it was just a power hungry pig, so I was asking about what settings people were using as I tried to find the most efficient ones .. and it became obvious it was a battery problem .. But difficult to prove for sure ..

So I took the battery to a Spesh shop .. who were very nice and very professional, but wouldnt' touch it to even test because I'd bought the Kenevo, new, 2 weeks earlier from a spesh dealer selling via the internet.

So I contacted the seller and also ridercare on here .. Ridercare came back in a few days and asked for MC diagnostics and ride data, but I've not heard anything from them since and the seller came back 5 days later and said they'd ask spesh .. but I've not heard anything since .. So I'm just trying to get more evidence/proof that it is faulty. Also, because I don't want to be wrong and find it's not faulty .. even though all the evidence points to it only lasting half what it should last.

Fortunately, the bike does still work, so I can ride. Though I'm limited to shorter rides and when it does run out, it's obviously a heavy pig to ride back on as it's always uphill to get home and the last 3% "limp home" only lasts 1km in general - so doesn't get me home ..

Yes if I had to guess, I'd say it's the signature of a fried cell or 2. I think that could be indicated by steeper voltage drops on the graph though not necessarily by the reported Battery Wh according to what I understand from comments by the BLEvo developer

I'd agree, but the weird thing is that It shows the full 41v or there abouts when it's charged and I get the full 20 amps motor draw .. So it points at a faulty BMS ? If it was something else I'd guess it was shorting out and sucking it that way.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I'd agree, but the weird thing is that It shows the full 41v or there abouts when it's charged and I get the full 20 amps motor draw .. So it points at a faulty BMS ? If it was something else I'd guess it was shorting out and sucking it that way.

As far as I can guess & yes I know - assumption is the mother of all fooqoops - the charger does not have access to individual cell data even though the RoPD plug is EnergyBus capable, the BMS is possibly not sufficiently advanced to detect a fritzed cell and so the charger continues to charge to 42V but to fewer cells due to the fried one. The result - overcharged cells & lower capacity likely resulting in both lower range & expected cycle life.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
So it points at a faulty BMS ? .

Yes you're absolutely right...it could be the absolute best BMS - just on the blink. Another possibility - firmware related? Whatever it is I am absolutely certain Spesh are onto it

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
I've not read the full thread yet, but my observation would be that battery usage comparisons will not be easily performed as there are so many variables (terrain / rider weight etc etc). One useful comparison might be to find a friend with a Levo and do a joint ride and compare. Maybe do the ride twice (once on each bike).

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Can you get hold of anyone else’s battery to try? Surely there’s another Frenchie that could help you out?

Reactions: DTZ

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Also the Spesh Aussie HQ said there was something wrong with the last update affecting batteries. He would t update my bike. That was about two months ago.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The result - overcharged cells & lower capacity likely resulting in both lower range & expected cycle life.

Uhmmm .. that would make sense .. today is 498wh. Blevo shows battery health as 98% after 12 cycles based on that today.

Just looked at my battery to distance log from my last longer ride. The first part was trail and turbo, there are slightly steeper drops when turbo is used, but not much. Then it was eco for the last 2/3. The line is pretty linear all the way down though .. Just going to try keep turning it on and leaving it over the next hour or so to see if it just goes flat on it's own...

I've not read the full thread yet, but my observation would be that battery usage comparisons will not be easily performed as there are so many variables (terrain / rider weight etc etc). One useful comparison might be to find a friend with a Levo and do a joint ride and compare. Maybe do the ride twice (once on each bike).

It's quite boring :) so I wouldn't bother ! I seem to be going round in circles . But you are correct. I was working on the theory that as mine seems to last about half what I'd expect in eco,so the variables shouldn't make that much difference when noticing such a large difference.

Alas .. I have no friends :) But no, there are no other levo/kenevo riders in the area that I've found .. But more or less, if I do a ride on Turbo (100/100) and ride like a mad man and do the same ride in Eco (20/20) ,I 'm lucky if I have 20% more battery left in eco.

Whatever it is I am absolutely certain Spesh are onto it

I was just thinking something similar .. It's fortunate that I can still ride the bike, but I seem to be spending most of my rides piddling about trying to prove that I can go more than 30km's on my battery, rather than enjoying it. Got the bike out to go for a ride this morning but then couldn't be bothered because I thought I'd just be worrying about my battery an range rather than KENEVOing .. So just had a quick word with myself and remembered the Kenevo motto on here of "Just Ride It" .. so will go for a proper play this afternoon, leave it in Turbo and just enjoy myself. If Spesh come back, they come back. If they don't and I'm wasting life worrying/thinking about it, then I guess I just need to buy another battery, it's already cost me more in time off going to the spesh shop twice to try and sort it than it would have cost to buy one anyway - so ultimately I'm being dumb ! (but when you're good at something ...)

Also the Spesh Aussie HQ said there was something wrong with the last update affecting batteries. He would t update my bike. That was about two months ago.

The firmwares are all uptodate .. so who knows .. in fairness, as you live in Aus and you seem to have a shop stocking everything, the only way this can work is if everyone has at least 2 businesses .. Hence, Spesh Aussie HQ, is also a farmer .. A Single Farmer .. so he might not have wanted to do your update because he was .... Busy... :) Business related Firmware Update .

OK .. so on that note .. I shall stop talking about my FREEKIN BATTERY ! :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahaha on a more serious note if Wepn is right and your overcharging batteries maybe you can put this to your place of purchase and the fact that you could potentially burn your house down if this is the case. Might speed up the process?
You could always jump on a plane with the Kenevo and we’ll organise a battery for you. Would get better service and we could ride some sick trails!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hahaha on a more serious note if Wepn is right and your overcharging batteries maybe you can put this to your place of purchase and the fact that you could potentially burn your house down if this is the case. Might speed up the process?
You could always jump on a plane with the Kenevo and we’ll organise a battery for you. Would get better service and we could ride some sick trails!

Ah, but it always comes down to proof and not potential .. So I'd have to actually wait for it to burn the house down. Whilst I feel thats a reasonable and sensible sacrifice to make to have a battery which works correctly, I suspect the OH would not agree. I now leave it at least an hour after a ride then charge and check it every 15 minutes, rather than charge overnight, for the reason you point out !

I'm all up for your plan.. except for three issues ..

1: the airline won't let me bring my battery.They might even show more reluctance than normal if I say "don't worry, it's faulty".

2: The airline won't let me bring my new battery back, so you'd end up with a spare one..

3: If I tried to follow you down your trails, they would no longer be Sick Trails, they'd be Trails covered in Sick.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
Alas .. I have no friends :) But no, there are no other levo/kenevo riders in the area that I've found .. But more or less, if I do a ride on Turbo (100/100) and ride like a mad man and do the same ride in Eco (20/20) ,I 'm lucky if I have 20% more battery left in eco.

Whilst Turbo mode is great fun, I found that after a few weeks of owning the bike I hardly ever use it. I'm not the fittest rider (far from it), weigh 95kg and yet still find I enjoy the bike perfectly in Eco mode with the occasional short trip into Trail for some hills and even less occasionally Turbo for the really big stuff.

I use Blevo smart power (not HR) with legs set at 180w and find the following settings give me decent assistance but still give me a workout and give me relatively decent battery life of around 50-60miles COMMUTING distance before dropping under 20% battery remaining
- Eco set as 5 to 25%
- Trail 25 to 59%
- Turbo 60-100%

One key there though is the COMMUTING bit, its not heavy off road but more hardpack gravel footpath / road etc - If I use the bike on more forest based tracks / loose gravel / steeper hills etc the battery gets used a lot quicker

A couple of examples of how the battery usage varies over two different rides...........
- 4.94 mile / 2384ft climb, all uphill on tarmac roads - done in Eco with very occasional Trail / Turbo bursts
BLEvo v3.5.3 Android
- Battery consumed: 45% (224Wh)
- Average consumption per KM: 45.32 Wh/km
- Wh ride: 325.6Wh
- Biker: 31.2% (101.6Wh)
- Battery: 68.8% (224Wh)

- 6.52 mile / 303ft commute - again done in Eco with very occasional Trail / Turbo bursts
BLEvo v3.5.5 Android
- Battery consumed: 11% (53Wh)
- Average consumption per KM: 8.12 Wh/km
- Percentage of average assistance: 20.8%
- Wh ride: 108.9Wh
- Biker: 51.3% (55.9Wh)
- Battery: 48.7% (53Wh)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Ah, but it always comes down to proof and not potential .. So I'd have to actually wait for it to burn the house down. Whilst I feel thats a reasonable and sensible sacrifice to make to have a battery which works correctly, I suspect the OH would not agree. I now leave it at least an hour after a ride then charge and check it every 15 minutes, rather than charge overnight, for the reason you point out !

I'm all up for your plan.. except for three issues ..

1: the airline won't let me bring my battery.They might even show more reluctance than normal if I say "don't worry, it's faulty".

2: The airline won't let me bring my new battery back, so you'd end up with a spare one..

3: If I tried to follow you down your trails, they would no longer be Sick Trails, they'd be Trails covered in Sick.
I meant without the battery you tripper. We can hook you up with one here to ride around with, plenty around.
You’d love it here. Plenty of fun tracks and I also ride with analogues so I’m used to dumbing things down.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m used to dumbing things down.

That's not very nice is it !! It might be completely true ... but that's not the point ! :)

Eco mode with the occasional short trip into Trail for some hills and even less occasionally Turbo for the really big stuff.

OK, so that sounds a bit like how I'd ride unless I'm going all out crazy and only have an hour to try and fit in a 25km ride.

- 4.94 mile / 2384ft climb, all uphill on tarmac roads - done in Eco with very occasional Trail / Turbo bursts
BLEvo v3.5.3 Android
- Battery consumed: 45% (224Wh)

OK, good example .. that did suck the power ! 700+ meters climbed over 8km's. It's these instances that make me question my results ..

- 6.52 mile / 303ft commute - again done in Eco with very occasional Trail / Turbo bursts
BLEvo v3.5.5 Android
- Battery consumed: 11% (53Wh)

But then for this, which was similar to yesterdays test .. I used 20% battery.

It's just difficult to pin down for sure - as I say, comparatively, compared to my shimano with same sized battery riding in Trail - giving far more assistance - I'd have a far greater range, which is what really surprised me at the start.. I'd do a couple of runs and half my battery would be gone.

I think I'm done with trying to prove anything. There's too many variables and different factors at play. Without another battery to test against it's impossible to say for certain if I'm just being mad or it's faulty. But for me. I'd expect to get at least twice the distance riding on Eco 20/20 than on Turbo 100/100 doing the same trails.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I use Blevo smart power (not HR) with legs set at 180w and find the following settings give me decent assistance but still give me a workout and give me relatively decent battery life of around 50-60miles COMMUTING distance before dropping under 20% battery remaining
- Eco set as 5 to 25%
- Trail 25 to 59%
- Turbo 60-100%

I'll try the smart power this afternoon. When you say 5 to 25% are these set using the normal sliders where 5 would be the assistance and 25 would be the peak power or are they set somewhere else for the smart power ??

EDIT : ok .. so I must have been half asleep when I read that last night ..

From the Manual for Smart Power (not expert)

Smart Power ⚡:
The operation of this mode can be easily explained by an example:
If the rider's power legs are set to 180 watts (with 15 watts threshold), the BLEvo app analyzes the current leg
power delivered by the rider and if it is lower than 165 watts (180-15 threshold) the assistance is reduced to
the configured minimum (for example 7%) with a delay due to the set reduction delay (for example every 5
seconds reduces the assistance by 2%).
If the current power delivered by the cyclist is higher than 195 Watt (180 + 15 threshold), the BLEvo app
increases assistance to the configured maximum (for example 39%) with a delay given by the set increase
delay (for example every 2 seconds increases the assistance of 2%). Around 15 Watt of the training power
(therefore in the above example between 165 and 195 Watt), the assistance percentage is not changed to
avoid having continuous corrections assistance when you are in the training area.

The figures you gave are from the additional settings when using Smart Power Expert !

It all makes sense now ! :)

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just tested the Blevo Smart assist.

Left it in Smart assist Basic and selected the default Blevo SMART options on the configuration page.

Left it in Eco for the ride - makes for an easy time - was flying along !

14km's 400m
- Battery consumed: 30% (150Wh)
- Average consumption per KM: 15.02 Wh/km
- Percentage of average assistance: 37.0%
- Wh ride: 218.8Wh
- Biker: 31.4% (68.8Wh)
- Battery: 68.6% (150Wh)

So using that I'd get a theoretical max of 46km's and 1300m climbing. So way better than it did the other day using a combination of Eco 20/20 and power off. Go figure !

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

Here is this mornings data....

(@PaoloBLEvo the ascent total obviously looks wrong? - I’m on iOS 13.1 beta...)

statistical data for my ride Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:40:10 BST
Short statistics:

- Elapsed time: 1:35:37
- Miles total: 14.62 mi
- Speed average: 9.2 mph
- Ascent total: +0 ft
- Battery Consumed: 24% (123 Wh)
- Consumption average: 8.41 Wh/mi

- Wh ride: 231Wh
- Wh Biker: 46.8% (108Wh)
- Wh Battery: 53.2% (123Wh)

Full statistics:
Firmware: 2.23.1

User Settings:

"Advanced user": 21(⚡+❤)/64(⚡+❤)/91(⚡+❤) PP 65/100/100 ACC Eco

Smart Power ⚡: Watt 160 (+/- 15) - Reactivity High
Smart HR ❤ : BPM 110 (+/- 3) - Linked to Smart Power

- Smart ECO: Min 5% - Max 39%
- Smart TRAIL: Min 36% - Max 80%
- Smart TURBO: Min 81% - Max 100%

Assistance average: 27.2%
- ECO: 10.3%
- TRAIL: 37.6%
- TURBO:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles