Expected battery usage

kingston12

Jul 31, 2019
UK
I recently got my 2019 Turbo Levo HT, and am a bit confused about the battery life I am getting.

My first ride lasted about two hours on riverside trails, not many hills. I had the motor turned off quite a lot of the time, but still had it on a variety of the modes to test it out and two cycle up two steep hills. The motor was probably on for 20 minutes and only went down by 5%.

The next couple of rides were quite different. Quick 30 minute blasts through flat parkland. I left the motor on all the time, but had my speed fairly consistently above 16mph, so there was very little assistance. Perhaps 5 minutes each time.

These rides took about 15% of the battery each time. Should I be expecting much power consumption when the power is on but the motor is not running due to being over the speed for assistance?

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
My energy consumption in normal rides is between 5 -15 wh/km.
wh = wh:s spent on a ride
km = total kilometers of a ride

I have not calculated consumption against time (wh/hour).

kingston12

Jul 31, 2019
UK
My energy consumption in normal rides is between 5 -15 wh/km.
wh = wh:s spent on a ride
km = total kilometers of a ride

I have not calculated consumption against time (wh/hour).

Thanks. My ride last night was around 8km and used 15% of a 400 wh battery, so that is less than 3.5 wh/km.

That seems very low, but as my average speed was higher than 16mp/h (26km/h) the time the motor was actually on was very low proportion of the 8km.

I'll keep monitoring it over different types of ride.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
Thanks. My ride last night was around 8km and used 15% of a 400 wh battery, so that is less than 3.5 wh/km.

That seems very low, but as my average speed was higher than 16mp/h (26km/h) the time the motor was actually on was very low proportion of the 8km.

I'll keep monitoring it over different types of ride.
wh = 400 wh * 15 % = 60 wh
km = 8
60 wh/8 km = 7,5 wh/km

So I think your consumption was more like 7,5 wh/km, not 3,5 wh/km. Seems normal.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
I have now driven 10 full charge cycles with my 2019 Levo (700 Wh).
In total I have reached 900 km, 22,000 m elevation-gain and 65 hours on bike.
(7 Wh per kilometer are also a valid average-value here, too.)

One of the tours ( 6,7 Wh/km):
Mödling Radfahren

Last edited:

kingston12

Jul 31, 2019
UK
wh = 400 wh * 15 % = 60 wh
km = 8
60 wh/8 km = 7,5 wh/km

So I think your consumption was more like 7,5 wh/km, not 3,5 wh/km. Seems normal.

Thanks. I made a bit of an error with the calculation there!

jbrinsfi

Jun 5, 2019
Thousand Oaks
My experience has been that the power used during the ride has a great deal to do with cadence. The motor delivers more unit power out per unit power in when the rider maintains cadence in the range of 70 to 85 RPM. In my case this is a higher cadence than I typically see on my pedal bike. When maintaining an appropriate cadence, the motor is operating at higher efficiency.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Power output from the motor is not directly proportionate to its current draw from the battery. At cadences over 70 less output power is lost to heat and friction so the motor is running more efficiently. Maintaing flow and momentum also helps to avoid the lower cadence higher torque input acceleration stage ehich is when the motor is least efficient. So how you ride has an impact on battery consumption. Not hugely different to driving a car in a fuel efficient way. It can be just as fast if not faster.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Is it helps I did my first ride on my new levo expert, 40km (24 miles) in various modes including turbo 2300 ft climbs. And I still had 18% battery left.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
Is it helps I did my first ride on my new levo expert, 40km (24 miles) in various modes including turbo 2300 ft climbs. And I still had 18% battery left.
It didn't. My fastest ride with my sw was under 3 hours, 60 km and 1.2 km climbs and still 40 % battery left. Many factors and everything affects as written above.

I think kingston12 is not confused anymore. Let's go ride some more tracks. :)

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Thanks team, this article is very helpful for me, a reasonably experienced MTB rider with my first E-MTB, a Giant Trance +1 Pro with 500w battery.
In Marlborough NZ we have what we call the 'Double Pass' which is how it sounds. Total ride about 63k mostly undulating with two reasonable climbs (and descents) over gravel 4WD roads.
It used to take me and another old retired copper around 3h-30m to do the 63 kilometre circuit. I will be interested to see if the battery lasts the distance.
As an aside, my son ( a very good road and mtb rider) is taking myself and two retired brothers down the West Coast on NZ in November to do the Wilderness Trail. Apparently it is a fantastic scenic ride over three 'leisurely' days with overnight stops at some historic campsites and gold mining towns.
Google 'Wilderness Trail New Zealand'.
Thanks again for the valuable advice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles