Blasting local trails.

Razz1

Apr 7, 2020
Pennsylvainia,usa
Out with the boys yesterday. Great ride with friends. 17 miles.1st mile up steep rocky washed out trail.All my buddies pushed up.My rail 7 road up with ease.Waited at top. Didn't even use turbo. Mtb mode worked great. 3rd and 4th gear. Next 12 miles down hill. What a fun ride. Got second flat on front tire. Both pinholes. Getting closer to going tubless. Still only used 2.5 bars. Been raining a lot. Waiting for some sun. My rail is keeping me sane during this virus thing. Happy riding to all !!!

latefordinner

Apr 21, 2020
Bucks
Out with the boys yesterday. Great ride with friends. 17 miles.1st mile up steep rocky washed out trail.All my buddies pushed up.My rail 7 road up with ease.Waited at top. Didn't even use turbo. Mtb mode worked great. 3rd and 4th gear. Next 12 miles down hill. What a fun ride. Got second flat on front tire. Both pinholes. Getting closer to going tubless. Still only used 2.5 bars. Been raining a lot. Waiting for some sun. My rail is keeping me sane during this virus thing. Happy riding to all !!!
I had 2 punctures 2 ride and 1 the next ! Now tubeless ?

Razz1

Apr 7, 2020
Pennsylvainia,usa
Seems like tubless has it's own issues.Do I start carrying a plug kit?also how often do you have to add sealant. How do you check the air pressure. Does the sealant clog the pressure gauge? Does the tire constantly lose air? Can you go back to tubes?

Like a Boss

Feb 25, 2020
USA
Razz pull yourself together. Nobody uses tubes. Tubeless has no issues. It works perfectly every time! Yes, carry a plug kit. Yes, carry a spare tube. Yes, carry some patches if you like. If you have tubeless compatible tires and rims, you should not expect the tire to constantly lose air. Tubeless compatible means that the rim and tires are designed to interface together to seal properly. You may notice tires with sort of "gummy" edges. The tires that are tubeless compatible will not seep quite as much as tires that are not specifically tubeless compatible. Sealant will eventually seal all the places where air could escape. Remember that tires and not completely airtight, so you might see sealant on the tire, on the sidewalls where the tire is thinnest. This is normal. The outside of the tires can often look wet. This is a good indicator that the sealant is viable. Yes, the sealant needs to be replaced in a certain amount of time. A big volume 29" tires may have 90-120 ml of sealant. You can hold up the rim and shake it and hear sealant splashing around. If you don't hear it, the sealant may be non-viable (dried up). It depends on the climate, mostly. I lived in a desert once and the sealant needed to be checked every 3 months to be safe. Yes, you can go back to tubes. But you would have to remove the valves, normally with just a knurled nut. I haven't had the sealant clog a pressure gauge and I check my pressures quite often. The beauty of tubeless is in low pressures which have great traction. I run 20 psi front and 24 psi rear on 29" 2.6" tires. I might go down to 18 front and up to 25 rear. Enjoy tubeless. Other than ripping the sidewall on lighter weight tires I don't get flats with a tubeless setup. I'm surprised the bike shop let you leave the shop with tubes. Nobody runs tubes on an MTB anymore, at least not where I live.

Razz1

Apr 7, 2020
Pennsylvainia,usa
Razz pull yourself together. Nobody uses tubes. Tubeless has no issues. It works perfectly every time! Yes, carry a plug kit. Yes, carry a spare tube. Yes, carry some patches if you like. If you have tubeless compatible tires and rims, you should not expect the tire to constantly lose air. Tubeless compatible means that the rim and tires are designed to interface together to seal properly. You may notice tires with sort of "gummy" edges. The tires that are tubeless compatible will not seep quite as much as tires that are not specifically tubeless compatible. Sealant will eventually seal all the places where air could escape. Remember that tires and not completely airtight, so you might see sealant on the tire, on the sidewalls where the tire is thinnest. This is normal. The outside of the tires can often look wet. This is a good indicator that the sealant is viable. Yes, the sealant needs to be replaced in a certain amount of time. A big volume 29" tires may have 90-120 ml of sealant. You can hold up the rim and shake it and hear sealant splashing around. If you don't hear it, the sealant may be non-viable (dried up). It depends on the climate, mostly. I lived in a desert once and the sealant needed to be checked every 3 months to be safe. Yes, you can go back to tubes. But you would have to remove the valves, normally with just a knurled nut. I haven't had the sealant clog a pressure gauge and I check my pressures quite often. The beauty of tubeless is in low pressures which have great traction. I run 20 psi front and 24 psi rear on 29" 2.6" tires. I might go down to 18 front and up to 25 rear. Enjoy tubeless. Other than ripping the sidewall on lighter weight tires I don't get flats with a tubeless setup. I'm surprised the bike shop let you leave the shop with tubes. Nobody runs tubes on an MTB anymore, at least not where I live.
Wow. Thanks for that lesson! I guess its tubless then.Ill get the stuff together and make it happen. I ride all sorts of terrain so well have a good test. Been running 32-38 psi. With tubes. Lots of rocks. Now I guess I can try some lower pressure. Stock tires seem to be very thin on side walls. Might need to upgrade tires in future. Now I'm excited to get it done. Thanks again!!

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
Make sure your tires and rims are tubeless ready. Also it's best to have a compressor to seat the tires after you've popped one side off to remove the tube. Some will seat with a floor pump but it's hit or miss. Do you know if your rims are already taped?

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
I had 2 punctures 2 ride and 1 the next ! Now tubeless ?
Pulled a bugger of a thorn from my front tyre yesterday, it sealed in seconds. Tubeless is the only way to go.

CFAF2A67-077D-4BC6-8E9D-782556C2E748.jpeg

Razz1

Apr 7, 2020
Pennsylvainia,usa
Make sure your tires and rims are tubeless ready. Also it's best to have a compressor to seat the tires after you've popped one side off to remove the tube. Some will seat with a floor pump but it's hit or miss. Do you know if your rims are already taped?
Rim's and tires good for tubless. Have to tape rim's. I went with stan's fluid. Took to LBS today. Cant wait to test on trails. Sprocket nut still tight after loctite. Have to track down good plug set for tires. And carry one of my old tubes. Think I'll try about 32 psi. To start. Ride a lot of xc so dont want to go to low. Maybe after a month or two I will check to see if I need to add a little fluid.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
32 is probably way more than you need. What size tires are you running and What do you weigh? Were flats you mentioned above snake bites or do you have a lot of thorns where you ride?

If your taping for the first time definitely watch some u tube videos on it and I've had great luck by going thru the trouble of taping and then installing the tubes back in, inflated to Max pressure to seat the tape a day or 2.

Last edited:

Razz1

Apr 7, 2020
Pennsylvainia,usa
32 is probably way more than you need. What size tires are you running and What do you weigh? Were flats you mentioned above snake bites or do you have a lot of thorns where you ride?

If your taping for the first time definitely watch some u tube videos on it and I've had great luck by going thru the trouble of taping and then installing the tubes back in, inflated to Max pressure to seat the tape a day or 2.
Lots of thorns here. Running 2.6 xr5. I weigh 182 lbs. Also lots of rocks.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
Cool, depending on your riding style you'd probably run around 20 front, 25 rear? I'm 165 lbs plus around 10 on my back, XC style rider. I'm usually around 18 front 22 rear . Mostly go by feel but that's close.

We don't have thorns. Maybe someone will chime in on any things you can do to help with that.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
Cool, depending on your riding style you'd probably run around 20 front, 25 rear? I'm 165 lbs plus around 10 on my back, XC style rider. I'm usually around 18 front 22 rear . Mostly go by feel but that's close.

We don't have thorns. Maybe someone will chime in on any things you can do to help with that.

I'll stand by my comment on the tape but to be clear, after taping, re mount tube and tire, no sealant, and pump to Max pressure

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal

One of my eMTB friends is still running tubes on his YT Decoy, after 2 flats I told him to please go tubeless, so I don't have to watch him swap tubes on his eMTB anymore:)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles