My thoughts after a week Rail7 Edited to include upgrades.

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
I have been riding since the 70's before mountain bikes were a 'thing'. Bought a Wicked Fat Chance in about 1991. Used to ride almost every day. Fast forward with marriage, 2 kids, ect. Been through a few other bikes since, but kept the wicked till a couple years ago.
About 9 years ago I had a local builder John Caletti make me another steel bike in 29er flavor since I liked the feel of the fat so much. The local close trails about 1/3rd of a mile to my house have a high amount of sand. I went single speed hard tail with a very steep head angle.

Lately I have not been enjoying it as the trails have become more torn up Rooty steps and such, been thinking about a FS type of ride.

Then my buddy comes out to ride and his GF has the rail7. I hop on it to see what these Ebikes are bout and in 100' I could tell it was the sh!t. Then my wife who was in dire need of a decent mountain bike tried it on the trail and was all smiles. SOLD!

I started to do a little bit of research and found the E caliber was lighter and IMO looks amazing, so I rode that around quite a bit, but initially it felt almost exactly like my current hard tail as far as cockpit size and position. I was less than impressed with climbing assist compared to the rail, also in my mind I was interested in more of an all mountain type of ride this time. Hopping on the rail after time on the E caliber really sealed the deal.

So our LBS has a few 7's in stock, so we snagged them.

First thing I did was lower tire pressures, the shop set our initial shock pressures and left all the settings stock, rear link in slack position. Popped on some nice Stamp 7's pedals. Rotated the brake levers down more.

Riding felt amazing. I was initially unsure of the slack steer setup and how well would I adapt or will it corner quick enough for me in our tight twisty single track trails. I found I adapted in less than 10 miles and actually prefer how it rails in the corners. Downhill runs with root steps and log crossings feel excellent and confidence inspiring. Dropping the seat and the shorter cockpit allow me to slide behind the seat on the steeper drops or DH sections and I often put the seat in a mid position in the faster less steep sections. I did snag the Wolftooth dropper lever that incorporates the brake lever mount and love the smooth operation and fit since I use my dropper post every other turn now.
So now I am opening up and riding more trails I would have avoided on my single speed as well as more techie trails I avoided from the hard tail. The tough steeper climbs are doable for me now, the loose sand sections have become a non issue and even the corners this thing grips. I don't loose the front and have only gotten it to drift the front wheel slightly one time in 60 miles. My only complaint at this time is my hands get sore on the longer DH sections so I am investigating possibly changing the damper in front and going 170mm as well thinking of lower tire pressure still. I Feel the steering is so positive now I don't want to get a 'mushy' feel from too low tire pressure.

Overall this bike has hit a grand slam IMO. Up, down, level it is a blast. So happy to stoked about riding again.
I also put the Wolftooth multitool in the handlebar end. Hopefully it won't be needed.

Last edited:

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
Oh yeah I forgot. After my first or second ride I found sand in my gears and chain, so I used my chain cleaning tool and cleaned off the sand. I then used some teflon lube and squirted it on a few times, then wiped it dry. Now I return home and have no more sand on my chain and sprockets. I am going to try the wax method going forward. Ordered a chain and some wax from MS Speedwax.

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
Oh yeah I forgot. After my first or second ride I found sand in my gears and chain, so I used my chain cleaning tool and cleaned off the sand. I then used some teflon lube and squirted it on a few times, then wiped it dry. Now I return home and have no more sand on my chain and sprockets. I am going to try the wax method going forward. Ordered a chain and some wax from MS Speedwax.

While installing the seat, pedals, etc., for my first ride, I checked the crank arm bolts - good thing, they needed to be torqued.
I've been using Squirt lube for years. Until my order for their E-Bike lube arrives, I'll apply it more often.

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
I checked the crank torque yesterday and my left side barely budged with the drive side tight, both sides tight on my wife’s ride, but she has less miles.
Belt drive had been great on my SS no need for anything except ride. Now I need to think chain and how to keep it happy.

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
I did some fiddling and found the front much more compliant with 5psi less, but it rode crappy and too low in the front. I went to the LBS and was asking about the 170 air spring and 2.1 damper. all in with $100 labor I was hesitant to say the least. SO he pulls out a Zeb Ultimate and offers me a deal I could not pass up. Just mounted it and I love the smooth action, how beefy and stiff it is.
I was able to get more travel just on my street and driveway bumps than I was using on the Yari.
Also snagged some larger grips super sticky should be way more comfortable next ride.

So I have a Yari for sale only 75 miles on it if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I also went from Yari to a Zeb ???

When you “check the torque” on your bolts / pivots, are you just giving it a light check? I’m concerned that a proper torque check would break any lock tight if it was perfectly set or my torque wrench slightly out. Is it just a case of, if it’s loose, it’s loose and you’ll just know?

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
MP, Yeah that's what I figure if its loose you will know. If there is sufficient lock tight it usually is pretty hard to remove, ( at least the first few turns) so if it gets loose more than once then further investigation would be needed.

Ride report from the trails- I am very glad I put this fork on. The fork chassis stiffness is completely noticeable, the extra 10mm makes my sitting and pedaling position way more comfortable handling wise, where I would feel the need to lower seat is far less than before, curb size drops are like butter, so I would assume all drops are smoother. I was changing PSI not he ride a bit. Very nice improvement.

108 hub and 35mm stem on the way.

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
MP, Yeah that's what I figure if its loose you will know. If there is sufficient lock tight it usually is pretty hard to remove, ( at least the first few turns) so if it gets loose more than once then further investigation would be needed.

Ride report from the trails- I am very glad I put this fork on. The fork chassis stiffness is completely noticeable, the extra 10mm makes my sitting and pedaling position way more comfortable handling wise, where I would feel the need to lower seat is far less than before, curb size drops are like butter, so I would assume all drops are smoother. I was changing PSI not he ride a bit. Very nice improvement.

108 hub and 35mm stem on the way.
Please report back regarding the hub. I'm curious to know how much difference it makes as the motor has its own degrees of engagement.

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
I was initially thinking the Onyx hub for silent action, but for the price and ease of install I figured try it. From the looks of it it doesn't make it a weaker hub. Look up some of the info and I think you would agree.
Some people have mentioned these hubs fail, I try and play nice so my equipment gets me home and lasts a long time.
Either way I'll chime back in when I get er done.

BigMark

Feb 10, 2020
I got the creaking yesterday after 3200 miles, the bolts holding the inner cables in the battery area were loose and one of the screws holding the battery handle was gone and the other was about to join it..

I love my bike but...

Battery fell out
Chain broke at 850 miles
505 error twice
Loose sprocket nut
And the above

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
Sorry to hear of those issues. Looks like e bikes require a bit more maintenance than our non powered versions. Sort of makes sense.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I got the creaking yesterday after 3200 miles, the bolts holding the inner cables in the battery area were loose and one of the screws holding the battery handle was gone and the other was about to join it..
I noticed 3 of the screws missing from the top of the battery handle part missing too. I think I have only taken the battery out about 4 times - where do they go????

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
My list of mods so far.
ZEB Ultimate 170mm up front
Wolftooth dropper lever
50/50 35mm stem
Bontragger grips larger diameter for bit more Cush
108 hub upgrade
220 Magura rotors front and rear
Cut front brake line shorter for more proper routing/ bleed as required.
Partial homemade clear vinyl wrap frame protection
Seat from my other bike- WTB rocket V.
Modified knock block kiox mount to use my 10yr old Garmin edge 500
Carbon S Works bars off my other bike, slightly more rise and lighter.

Last edited:

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
Please report back regarding the hub. I'm curious to know how much difference it makes as the motor has its own degrees of engagement.

My first few spins up and down the street the rear hub was almost silent. I hope I did not use too much grease. I did notice it on the trails it hooks up right now with no delay as I felt before. From what I see there is no downside or weaker by using them. Possibly stronger as there is less gap under power to engage. It may not be worth it for some. I wanted a silent hub and it is definitely very close to that now.

The reality is there was not much delay before, but it hooks up now so that could help in some climbs. My local trails have lots of roots to dodge and I find I let off and get back on it a lot. YMMV.

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
one last comment about the 108 hub. I spun it compared to my wife’s bike 54t stock and mine is way softer sound for sure. At least -30/40% softer sound.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
i got some creaking today on my 9, appears to be headset area i think?? getting a fair few twanging noises also around wheels area. I'm used to DT swiss hx1501's, they feel solid in comparison to these stock wheels.

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
My LBS had the Kiox knock block frame mount. Since my old Edge 500 was working well still and didn't see too much benefit for the Kiox I like the location of the Kiox so I opted to graft in my Garmin mount into the Kiox mount. - Poof! (waiting for the epoxy to cure)

kiox.jpg Garmin.jpg

Last edited:

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
Mine does not have the Kiox. Rail 7 with the Purion. I think the bars look cluttered with both the purion display and the edge.

Last edited:

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
My previous bike had a belt drive and zero maintenance for 8 or 9 years I rode it. With the sand and now powder dirt of summer I hate the aspect of constant clean and lube chains so I am trying the was routine. First ride was a success.
Since my wife has the same bike I figured I should try it for her as well. So after I cleaned her gears and chain and reinstalled the chain I spun her bike (also the rail 7) up and down the street and wow the 220 brakes on mine work sooo much better than stock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles