Powerfly Has anyone besides me been breaking (Rail7) the 2021 Powerfly FS Motor Armor plate? I'm on my 2nd one and it cracked after 2 rides

Singlespeed29er

Dec 3, 2022
Pennsylvania
1st Armor plate.jpg
2nd Armor plate.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That is definitely a weak point. I’ve seen some fibre glass or carbon skid plates but I don’t think they give enough protection. An extra layer of protection, like @Fat Rat suggests might be a solution.
Or keep rocks out of your life. 😉

Singlespeed29er

Dec 3, 2022
Pennsylvania
Smart fix would be to redesign the area that is weakest, as shown in the photos above. 2 plates that crack at the same exact point. They seem to be poured ejected molded aluminum. Ive seen the other plates and they do not seem that much better. Either that or just lower the replacement price so I can order a dozen and not break the bank. Trek seems very little interested in addressing this pour design. And contacting engineering seems impossible.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
a little bit OT maybe

now I don't know what material Shimano's motor guards are made of, but they last damn well.
I have hit my engine cover several times and have never managed to crack it

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I broke mine in the same location, but I had a spare. I have thought about fixing it by riveting the outer plate of a chain across the fracture.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles