Bikeshop is cleaned out!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I was looking at the latest EMTB magazine, and saw a picture of my LBS in an article about how the bike industry is not keeping up with demand. Actually the last 2 times I was there I said we could play a round of tennis in there. Normally it is so packed with bicycles that you can't get through.
How about your shops?
Screenshot_20200818-143402_EMTB.jpg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I was in mine about 6 weeks ago, and they were much the same. A couple of bikes left over, but would usually have a whole shop full.
Part of lockdown here (Scotland) was that you were allowed out to exercise and go food shopping - and that was pretty much it.

Lots of people who never usually left the house took up walking, running and cycling.

My LBS said that they’d sold out of most bikes, and couldn’t get hardly any new ones as it was the awkward time between the 2020 and 2021 model... so the manufacturers didn’t have hardly anything to send them to restock.

Glad I got my new bike in February before Covid kicked off over here!

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Mine is empty. Has one bike left it they can’t sell because they took parts off it, which they can’t replace.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I‘m guessing the shops can’t replace the bikes for the show room but they can order bikes on demand which then of course get picked up by the customer as soon as they’re delivered. So they’re still doing good business.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
One LBS (T7) looks like it was ram-raided and the other (Pack&Pedal) is chocka.
Given that they have brand overlap, I wonder if the difference is the empty one has better financing options.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I think another problem now is the service department is completely booked out. I had to wait a month to get my bearings fixed and the motor software update.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
Interestingly, Decathlon have just increased the price of their e-bikes by £100 across the range. I thought they must be selling well. So, I checked. My new bike's serial number is 31 numbers higher than my old one. So that's one model and one size (Norma's bike which is identical, but a small not a medium has a completely different serial number). So, that's 31 of my bike sold in 2 weeks. They have 20 different models and 4 sizes in each. Mine is a mid priced one, so assume it's selling the average number. Assuming they sell around 15 bikes per week of each type (on average) that's 1200 bikes per week sold. Assume an average margin of 50% - say around £400 (weighted towards the cheaper bikes) - they are profiting by £480,000 a week. Not a bad business to be in !!!

Of course, this could be rubbish - but why else would they put the prices up?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The prices of the same bikes in the UK is considerably lower than the prices in France/mainland Europe. I think for quite a long time they've tried to support the old 1.4 exchange rate, but it's been averaging nearer 1.1 for a long time now. So a Stilus for instance should be over £3000.

Even smaller items, like the Rockrider bum bag with hydration, is €40 in France but you guys only pay £30 in the UK.

I guess at some point they needed to start aligning things more. Also taking into account the extra shipping costs (which have also increased hugely over the last couple of years), their UK operations must run at a far lower profit level then the mainland European operations.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Loads of bikes in all the shops I've been to here in Cádiz province in the past couple of weeks. I think pocket money is a bit short here...

Maybe you should plan a weekend getaway, buy your new bike and then have two weeks in the garage putting it together... ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think the bike trade would like a margin of 50%, but that the market is too competitive to allow it. Every now and then though the stars align and they do well. Like now, when everybody wants a bike and will even buy a bike they don't like because it is the least worst option. Pre-pandemic, I got 15% off a new bike, a TEC pack at cost, and a free tubeless conversion. I doubt any of the retailers will be giving that away currently.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I tried for the sympathy vote when I bought my replacement bike - didn't work :D
Yeah, like my LBS where I have spent about €10000 over the last few years. I asked for a good price as I wanted to buy 2 bikes, they replied, "Why should we give you a good price today when tomorrow someone will come in and pay the full price!". And that was in December last year! Before the world went KRAZZZEEE! o_O

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Must be loads of "hardly used" 2nd hand ones on the market in the winter......some of the new riders have not sampled good English winter riding ....Mud ,Mud , Glorious mud.....and wet and cold and having to clean down bike after every ride.......how we love it.. cant wait ....not!

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
You got to feel sorry for local and larger outlet bike sellers.

Covid-19 lockdown then stock supply shortages.

Local shop near me had a sign in the window saying please don't come in if you want a mountain bike.
"We don't have any and can't get any"!!
Sad state of affairs

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Yeah, like my LBS where I have spent about €10000 over the last few years. I asked for a good price as I wanted to buy 2 bikes, they replied, "Why should we give you a good price today when tomorrow someone will come in and pay the full price!". And that was in December last year! Before the world went KRAZZZEEE! o_O
Timo to move fwd /Elsewhere!? (who laughs last, laughs longest) ?‍♀️ ;) .

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I think the bike trade would like a margin of 50%, but that the market is too competitive to allow it. Every now and then though the stars align and they do well. Like now, when everybody wants a bike and will even buy a bike they don't like because it is the least worst option. Pre-pandemic, I got 15% off a new bike, a TEC pack at cost, and a free tubeless conversion. I doubt any of the retailers will be giving that away currently.

I managed to get 10% off a Cube pre order due for delivery in November plus a free conversion to tubeless. A lot of bikes are sold on 0% finance. The finance company take a good cut so if you are paying outright, I'd suggest there is always something to come off even with demand so strong.

I'd also suggest which so much uncertainty ahead around jobs, once the hard core emtb'ers have ordered their new bikes, things might not be quite so buoyant next year so they were happy to do a deal.

A lot may also be down to competition within a brand. I could have got my Cube from 1 of 3 places within 10 miles

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Timo to move fwd /Elsewhere!? (who laughs last, laughs longest) ?‍♀️ ;) .

Maybe. But the thing about shop assistants in Germany is that you will always get unvarnished, blunt truth. Even if it means losing a sale.

Wife to shop assistant: "And what do you think of this?"

Shop assistant: "It does absolutely nothing for you."

Well, she did ask...

Jimex

Jun 9, 2020
UK
I got 15% off my Haibike allmtn 3.5 at my LBS start of July. I was flabbergasted tbh as UK stock of any emtb was/is next to nothing.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You got to feel sorry for local and larger outlet bike sellers.

Covid-19 lockdown then stock supply shortages.

Local shop near me had a sign in the window saying please don't come in if you want a mountain bike.
"We don't have any and can't get any"!!
Sad state of affairs
I wouldn't feel too sorry; after all, they sold all their stock! Probably at full price too. How many years have they done that?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is a very short term attitude to take by the shop. They really ought to be looking after the regular customers. You probably take your bike in there from time to time for maintenance and or for parts. You have a track record of using the place for several years. Now you are pissed off and may not go back, ever!

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
A bunch of bike shops around my little par if TX were robbed by organized group of scumbags and have made quite a lick of the local LBS in the area. You can bet any s-works was snatched up.

sad part of the desperate times....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles