Bike stolen, help a newbie choose a new one

Perdix

Mar 25, 2021
Sweden
Hello, im new here.

I have had an eMTB for 2,5years but last week it was stolen. Im sad. It was a Superior eXF 939. When i bought it i didnt put much thought into it and i knew nothing about bikes tbh. But i was very happy with it, and i feel i cant live without one. This time i will try to make a more informed choice when picking up a new one. My riding is not very demanding i would say. I will be in the woods, most of the time on trails but offroad will happen ofc. But nothing extreme, or even close. :)

But i still want a good quality that does the job well and wont break so easily. Lots of good information here about brands and models but we are a bit limited in Sweden and also this shortage of bikes in the world now. One thing i dont want is a noname brand that risk to run out of spare parts, and i really dont know what brands are big and which are not, except a few. I would like to have one of the newer motors, bosch seems nice. Would be fun to try something new from the E8000 i had on my 939.

Thoes are some brands i find that i can choose from. Merida, Superior, Cannondale, Cube, Ghost, Giant, GT Bicycles, HAIBIKE, Kona, Lapierre, Marin, Niner, Norco, Orbea, Santa Cruz, Serious.

Any of thoes brand that i should avoid or seem like a noname-brand for you? Any brand i should look more into?

I have found models from Orebo that i really like, the wild FS H25, H20 and M10. I like the look of Niner RIP and WFO too, but i have to read more about them.

So. Anything you can give me will help. Any specific parts i should avoid or look for? Also looking for onlinestores in Europe that are trustworty to expand my options.
Also, can someone tell me what the number on Merida e160 models mean? "500, 700, 8000, 9000, 10000"

Thanks in advance

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north
Go and demo ride as many brands as possible then make a short list considering how local the dealer is to you and what warranty support there is sounds as thou a 140 /150 travel bike would be more than capable to your kind of riding. The numbers after the Merida 500 700 etc denote the spec of the finishing kit say shimano slx to xtr the higher the number the higher the spec or at least I think that’s how it works if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me also go look on the brand pages on her and see if there are any issues

Perdix

Mar 25, 2021
Sweden
Go and demo ride as many brands as possible then make a short list considering how local the dealer is to you and what warranty support there is sounds as thou a 140 /150 travel bike would be more than capable to your kind of riding. The numbers after the Merida 500 700 etc denote the spec of the finishing kit say shimano slx to xtr the higher the number the higher the spec or at least I think that’s how it works if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me also go look on the brand pages on her and see if there are any issues

Thanks. I dont have any local stores that i like. The closest one that i want to buy from is 250km, but i might visit before i buy, wont help me with service and support much. Most bikeshops doesnt even have much eMTB. Thats why im looking for online shops.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The bikes you mentioned are great but the most important thing for me was a relationship with my local bike shop (LBS). We still order some parts online but the LBS is there for service, warranty, parts etc. They’re also a wealth of info and are familiar with local riding areas. I have a Trek Rail btw.

Perdix

Mar 25, 2021
Sweden
The bikes you mentioned are great but the most important thing for me was a relationship with my local bike shop (LBS). We still order some parts online but the LBS is there for service, warranty, parts etc. They’re also a wealth of info and are familiar with local riding areas. I have a Trek Rail btw.

All of them? You recognize all brands and they are all good? None better than the other?
Yeah, I understand that a local store with good service is gold, but I have no option for that here where I live, unfortunately. The store I'm looking to buy from have a physical store as well and the reviews are good so that's something at least, they should stand by the warranty if something happens at least.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
All of them? You recognize all brands and they are all good? None better than the other?
Yeah, I understand that a local store with good service is gold, but I have no option for that here where I live, unfortunately. The store I'm looking to buy from have a physical store as well and the reviews are good so that's something at least, they should stand by the warranty if something happens at least.
I’ll narrow it down a bit. The main EMTB’s in our area are Specialized, Trek, Norco, Santa Cruz. These are the eMTB I see mostly. From what I’ve read, most of the big brands are relatively good. These manufacturers don’t want their new eMTB’s being labeled as “bad”. The service for these eMTB’s are relatively good for our area. Which of these brands is the “best” can be subjective. I’ve had very few problems(almost none) after 5000+ km with the Bosch gen4 CX motor.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK

The problem at the moment is finding a dealer with demo bikes and new bikes in stock.

Perdix

Mar 25, 2021
Sweden
I’ll narrow it down a bit. The main EMTB’s in our area are Specialized, Trek, Norco, Santa Cruz. These are the eMTB I see mostly. From what I’ve read, most of the big brands are relatively good. These manufacturers don’t want their new eMTB’s being labeled as “bad”. The service for these eMTB’s are relatively good for our area. Which of these brands is the “best” can be subjective. I’ve had very few problems(almost none) after 5000+ km with the Bosch gen4 CX motor.

Thanks. I like what i read about the bosch gen4. Only downside from shimano seem to be it is not as quiet.
What do you think about Niner and Orbea? Im comparing few models from thoes brands and Orbea comes with shimano breaks and gearshift(hope that is the correct term) while Niner have parts from Sram. Any opinion about that?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks. I like what i read about the bosch gen4. Only downside from shimano seem to be it is not as quiet.
What do you think about Niner and Orbea? Im comparing few models from thoes brands and Orbea comes with shimano breaks and gearshift(hope that is the correct term) while Niner have parts from Sram. Any opinion about that?
The frame type and motor seems to be major factors. The rest of parts are upgradable, consumable or replaceable. I’ve upgraded from Scram transmission to Shimano. And from Shimano brakes to Magura mt7 and 220mm rotor. Some of my choices are preference and my riding style. If you’re able too, test ride a few eMTB bikes and see what you like. I’ve heard good things on both those bikes but for me the Rail fit. I think I’ve added 25% to the value of the bike with my upgrades over the past year. It’s almost perfect … just a bit more $$$.?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Also, can someone tell me what the number on Merida e160 models mean? "500, 700, 8000, 9000, 10000"

I think the three digit (500, 700 etc.) are all aluminium frames, 4 digit (8000, 9000, 10K) are all Carbon front frames (chain stays are aluminium). Spec improves as the number increases (and so does the price!)...

Perdix

Mar 25, 2021
Sweden
I think the three digit (500, 700 etc.) are all aluminium frames, 4 digit (8000, 9000, 10K) are all Carbon front frames (chain stays are aluminium). Spec improves as the number increases (and so does the price!)...

Thanks.

So, lets talk specs. Does it matter for me? I had an eMTB for 2,5years so i know parts will be replaced often. I dont need light parts. But i do want gear shiting to be as smooth as possible. Ive had issues with my Sup exf 939 with shifting but i think that was more about bad adjustments from the serviceplace. When it worked, it was fine.

Orbea wild FS M20 vs M10
M10 is about 1500euro more for me, in sweden. Its also in stock in my size and i like the color better. But will the parts make a difference?

Perdix

Mar 25, 2021
Sweden
D34105C7-E041-4397-9A78-FC8CE19EA96D.jpeg

On my way home from the store
Wild fs h20
Hope it will do it :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles