Help me choose a bike!

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I'm Steve (middle aged, 2 kids....etc) I'm in the market for a 2019 eMTB- My current bike is a Capra Pro Race- I need a strong eMTB riding Surrey Hills as I'm 100KG... Can you help me decide!! I'm probably going to buy in January

checkerzsnr

Aug 28, 2018
NN9 6RF
Depends on the budget... I recently purchased the Trek Powerfly FS9 LT -> I am, shall we say, somewhat on the large size and this bike fits me very well.
Specialized embt's are very much up there, especially the 2019 models, but there is a premium (£) to pay for the 'best'...
Test ride as many as you can. I test rode multiple bikes via Rutland Cycles (they are East Midlands based) before I made the decision...

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Thanks for that; my budget is ~£5k although it makes my eyes water thinking about it.... Did your ebike replace your normal mtb, or do you now have an option for each ride?
Did the bike shop let you take the bike on a trail or car park?

Cheers

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
It seems pretty hard to buy a bad ebike these days tbh, so fit, the type of riding you want to do and your personal feel for the bike are probably the most important aspects. You may want to try one each of the main motor manufacturers (Brose, Shimano, Bosch and Yamaha) to see if you prefer one powertrain significantly over any other.

Given your price range worth considering are the Giant Trance E+ or Focus ranges if you want to buy from a shop, or Canyon Spectral:On or Vitus E-Sommet if happy to buy online. For £4k you can have a base model Levo too, but it will have a poor spec (particularly front forks) compared to the other choices listed. You pays your money...

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I replaced a 2015 Capra comp carbon with my 2018 Levo comp carbon (can u see a pattern here ?).

What I did was build a shortlist then rented out the final 3 contenders from Leisurelakes over 3 consecutive weekends. 85 quid each for a full day anywhere you like - I took all 3 to Gisburn so I could try them on the same trail. They credit the rentals against a new bike if you buy it from them, and also got 500 quid in store credit.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Thanks all
R120 I live in Billingshurst nr Horsham and go to Peaslake every weekend apart from holidays etc
Gary. My Capra is a large 27.5 2016 model - red and black
Mark H. that’s a great idea hiring them

I do like the Levo but the carbon one only has 34mm forks- at 100kg (me) ☺️ will they be up to me doing gaps etc and potentially adding them...
I like;
Levo
Giant
Trek
I wish there wasn’t such a big choice ?
I spend more time researching bikes than I spent researching my wife!!

checkerzsnr

Aug 28, 2018
NN9 6RF
Thanks for that; my budget is ~£5k although it makes my eyes water thinking about it.... Did your ebike replace your normal mtb, or do you now have an option for each ride?

Cheers
Rutland Cycles are based at various trail parks and are happy for you to have a good test ride on whatever takes your fancy. I got mine for the Peterborough branch... My e-Trek has now replaced my normal mtb... didn’t think it would but once rode it is difficult to consider leaving it in the garage... which does mean I have three normal mtb’s in the garage which will not get used! ?
~£5K will buy you a great e-bike... there are always offers on... if you are happy with a 2018 spec then the worlds you ouster...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have a 2017 Capra in Medium and a 2018 Vitus E-sommet in small (the Vitus Small is larger)
If you like everything about your Capra definitely try a Medium Vitus E-Sommet VR.
It's really close in geometry and handling to your L Capra other than the Vitus having a slightly lower BB height, it has the same H/A, 10mm longer reach (but a 15mm shorter stem so in reality really close) and 14mm longer chainstays (which is still pretty short for an eeb).
The sommet has pretty similar suspension characteristics but IMO better performng (partly down to the shock, partly down to the stability of the extra weight being low/centralised, not quite as progressive but still nicely poppy and actually easier to find the sweet spot for sag.
Thing is a pinner.

Oh.. and best of all it's 1.5k under your budget with no parts needing changed other than maybe tyres (to suit your riding style)

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I’d get a Sur Ron, it’s only £3500
D9D4AFC3-FC03-4C3B-8C21-2BF5A6F9E78F.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks all
R120 I live in Billingshurst nr Horsham and go to Peaslake every weekend apart from holidays etc

I do like the Levo but the carbon one only has 34mm forks- at 100kg (me) ☺️ will they be up to me doing gaps etc and potentially adding them...
I like;
Levo
Giant
Trek
I am near Reigate, if you want you can swing a leg over my Vitus.

Do you know Freeborn Bikes in Horsham? Super nice guys and great range of bikes including the levo, they will generally give you 10% off any new bike, including E-Bikes.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I would buy local and pick a shop with a good reputation. Ebikes do go wrong.

You won't ever ride the Capra again! So, sell that ASAP.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I would buy local and pick a shop with a good reputation. Ebikes do go wrong.

You won't ever ride the Capra again! So, sell that ASAP.
Hi James,
Sell my Capra! ! ! not sure how much it's worth though, its in excellent condition..
I'm holding off buying an ebike until prob January as I'm having surgery late November on a "mal-unioned" broken collarbone that happened back in April-17 and has not mended properly. I've been riding no probs since I fell off- but quite cautious of not falling off on it again as you can imagine.. it's a shame to now have to have enforced time off the trails as I am just building up that confidence to go faster over gaps (small ones!) oh well.. I don't often fall off luckily as I'm getting on a bit and know my limits (ish)

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
What makes you say that? Capra's are awesome bikes and in a lot of ways much more fun than an Emtb.
My old bike has only been ridden for 2 weeks in the last 3 years (BPW and 2x Alps). Ebikes are much more fun

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
poor bike. :cry:

TBF my DH bikes (got 2) only get ridden about 12 times a year between them nowadays. But when they do they're both a far more fun than my Eeb would be.

I've got a stupid amount of bikes to ride though and much like the love a mother has for her children simply can't be shared in equal amounts. ;)

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
Thanks all

I like;
Levo
Giant
Trek
Hi Stevo i was in the same boat as you mate and im 114 kg . For the same price as the comp levo i decided to go with the new giant e+o sx alot more bike fore the money :) .Im just waiting on the inviciframe getting fitted and a new rear spring for my belly.

trance-sx-e--0-studio-photo-1532099632052-h0n8p2shfq1l-630-354.jpg

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Hi James,
Sell my Capra! ! ! not sure how much it's worth though, its in excellent condition..
I'm holding off buying an ebike until prob January as I'm having surgery late November on a "mal-unioned" broken collarbone that happened back in April-17 and has not mended properly. I've been riding no probs since I fell off- but quite cautious of not falling off on it again as you can imagine.. it's a shame to now have to have enforced time off the trails as I am just building up that confidence to go faster over gaps (small ones!) oh well.. I don't often fall off luckily as I'm getting on a bit and know my limits (ish)

Local shop would only take my Capra in px for a piss taking amount. So I sold it private for 1800 and lost only 600 quid on it from brand new as I bought it in 2015 when exchange rate was excellent. 3 years and about 1500 miles of riding for 600 quid - don't think the Levo will prove such good value over that time.
Capra was a great bike but have to say Levo puts bigger smile on my face now I've learned to jump properly.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Hi Mikey,
I was looking at that bike/ the model below. I think the bike looks and the spec is great. How does it ride? I saw a video on YouTube and the motor was quite noisy?
Also, my logic suggests 35 or 36mm forks (because of my 100kg's!) is where I should be looking, which makes me wary of the Levo- can anyone reassure me on this as the Levo is 34mm, but a very nice quiet bike.
Any experiences from you all would be great to help me make a decision

Thanks

Steve
Hi Stevo i was in the same boat as you mate and im 114 kg . For the same price as the comp levo i decided to go with the new giant e+o sx alot more bike fore the money :) .Im just waiting on the inviciframe getting fitted and a new rear spring for my belly.

View attachment 7618

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
Hi Mikey,
I was looking at that bike/ the model below. I think the bike looks and the spec is great. How does it ride? I saw a video on YouTube and the motor was quite noisy?
Also, my logic suggests 35 or 36mm forks (because of my 100kg's!) is where I should be looking, which makes me wary of the Levo- can anyone reassure me on this as the Levo is 34mm, but a very nice quiet bike.
Any experiences from you all would be great to help me make a decision

Thanks

Steve
Hi mate i havnt got myn yet as im waiting for the inviciframe getting fitted. But i did take 1 for a blast and i would say its a little louder then the brose but no were near as loud as a bosch . All the people iv spoke to say the giant e+o sx or e+1 and 2 feels like a giant reign and is loads of fun. I do like the levo but i didnt fancy spending another grand on top for upgrades lol.

Stevfro99

Oct 18, 2018
Huddersfield

Cheers
I just got the 2018 Commencal meta power! have a look online. Top of the range is now £4.5k! a hell of a lot of kit for the brass

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles