Bike size and impacts on Jumping?

mrhaboobi

Sep 17, 2023
New Zealand
So a general question about bike sizing and its impact on things like jumping.

Could be totally unrelated but I'm currently on a bike ( trek Slash 2021 ) which is a Large and i feels too big for me. the reach is too long, and I've shortened the stem and high rise bars, more sweepback. Bike is super stable downhill, feel like its carrying me down hill rather then me riding it, but when im going over small jumps im finding it really unstable. as im going up the bars are twisting and im landing in a strange and dangerous position. im wondering if this has anything to do with a long reach or a bike that is too big and I'm essentially holding on and unconsciously pulling up causing the bars to twist. have done a few jump courses and this seems to be the general thinking, but so far havent been able to try a smaller bike. Anyone have any suggestions ( other than just get better :) ). is an overly large bike ( longer stretched out reach ) likley to impact my ability to jump without twisting. ( yes i know an expert can probably jump anything any size, but newbie not so much ).

Cheers

FrostFlame

Mar 15, 2024
Philippines
Try downsizing to a medium frame to see if it improves your control and reduces the twisting of the bars during jumps. Focus on maintaining a balanced stance and avoid overcompensating by pulling up too hard. Demo or rent a smaller bike to test before making a decision. Good luck!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
So a general question about bike sizing and its impact on things like jumping.

Could be totally unrelated but I'm currently on a bike ( trek Slash 2021 ) which is a Large and i feels too big for me. the reach is too long, and I've shortened the stem and high rise bars, more sweepback. Bike is super stable downhill, feel like its carrying me down hill rather then me riding it, but when im going over small jumps im finding it really unstable. as im going up the bars are twisting and im landing in a strange and dangerous position. im wondering if this has anything to do with a long reach or a bike that is too big and I'm essentially holding on and unconsciously pulling up causing the bars to twist. have done a few jump courses and this seems to be the general thinking, but so far havent been able to try a smaller bike. Anyone have any suggestions ( other than just get better :) ). is an overly large bike ( longer stretched out reach ) likley to impact my ability to jump without twisting. ( yes i know an expert can probably jump anything any size, but newbie not so much ).

Cheers
Once you learn how to jump properly, the size of the bike doesn't matter as proper technique will get you over most jumps that are built properly and are not too long or have too steep of a ramp (some jumps need more speed than others). If you are twisting your bars, you are pulling unevenly which is bad technique to begin with. Jumping begins with preloading thru your legs into the pedals and not into the bars.
Ben Cathro has an entire series on how to ride better but you may find this episode helpful:

mrhaboobi

Sep 17, 2023
New Zealand
C
Once you learn how to jump properly, the size of the bike doesn't matter as proper technique will get you over most jumps that are built properly and are not too long or have too steep of a ramp (some jumps need more speed than others). If you are twisting your bars, you are pulling unevenly which is bad technique to begin with. Jumping begins with preloading thru your legs into the pedals and not into the bars.
Ben Cathro has an entire series on how to ride better but you may find this episode helpful:

Cheers for the link. I’m trying to pre load but it feels so unnatural . Coach was getting us to essentially be really low squared as me rode into the ramp and then last second bounce down from an already crouched position. When I watch videos I see people looking in a more natural stance and then what looks like a more natural down then up. But yes the bars are twisting ( lhs towards , rhs away from body ). Will keep practicing.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well I will contradict either your coach or your interpetation of what he/she is advising!
Assuming the jump has a ramp longer than a bikes length and you have reasonable speed you centre yourself on the bike with slightly bent legs and arms. You do not need to pump because as long as you keep your legs strong the ramp will create the preload. Neither do you need to pull up on the bars. The act of standing tall naturally releases the pre load and raises your torso and with it, the bars.....your arms just act as the connection rods so they should neither pull left or right.

Timing the release is the most critical part of a jump.......usually as the front wheel is just before the top of the ramp. Depending on the angle of the landing you may then need to go forward slightly onto the bars to land 2 wheels at the same time or slightly front wheel first.

The good design of manicured jump lines does most of the work! Bike park jumps are far easier than jumps on a natural trail for that reason so best to stick to them to start with.

There are occasions when different techniques are needed to achieve a safe jump...including pulling up on the bars.....but you should not need that on properly designed training jumps without gaps to cross.

mrhaboobi

Sep 17, 2023
New Zealand
Well I will contradict either your coach or your interpetation of what he/she is advising!
Assuming the jump has a ramp longer than a bikes length and you have reasonable speed you centre yourself on the bike with slightly bent legs and arms. You do not need to pump because as long as you keep your legs strong the ramp will create the preload. Neither do you need to pull up on the bars. The act of standing tall naturally releases the pre load and raises your torso and with it, the bars.....your arms just act as the connection rods so they should neither pull left or right.

Timing the release is the most critical part of a jump.......usually as the front wheel is just before the top of the ramp. Depending on the angle of the landing you may then need to go forward slightly onto the bars to land 2 wheels at the same time or slightly front wheel first.

The good design of manicured jump lines does most of the work! Bike park jumps are far easier than jumps on a natural trail for that reason so best to stick to them to start with.

There are occasions when different techniques are needed to achieve a safe jump...including pulling up on the bars.....but you should not need that on properly designed training jumps without gaps to cross.
This sounds more like how I think I’m seeing people naturally jump. It’s the bounce down , literally described as stand on your pedals both flat position. As the front wheel hits the sweet spot of the jump - kinda like near where it starts to curve up. Pump downwards with you legs. All weight through your feet. But from an already low position crouched position .

Similar to Like if you are on a new bike , are trying the shock out and you force all your weight down . When I do this I’m focusing on that dynamic energy or movement and as I’m coming up the ramp I think I’m also pulling.

Another way to describe what they are asking us to bunny hop. They get us to compress down, weight through legs and then bing the bike up .

Thanks for your guidance.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles