Bike set up

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've been watching videos of bike setups in preparation of receiving my new bike. All very informative but unfortunately usually presented by professional or very experienced riders. They talk of 2mm here, 3mm there in reach, 1/2 degree this way 1/4 degree that way in head angle. 25 PSI vs 24 PSI, this tyre vs that tyre, minimal differences in suspension pressure etc. etc. In all honesty can or should we mere mortal riders notice much difference?

I recently put an extra 15 PSI into my front and rear shocks as I was getting a little too close to comfort to bottoming out. I could see the difference on the shocks but I didn't notice much difference in ride quality. If, for example, the head angle is slighter different is it not just a matter of getting used to it?

Excuse the hyperbole but you get my drift.

Al

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
you'll end up developing a preference for how you like things like the position of the brake levers relative to the grips (both in/out along the bars and the angle) , same for the gears, angle of saddle, how far forwards or backward it is on the rails etc, the width of the bars, angle of the bars, height of the bars etc. And once you have this developed sense of preference you'll be able to notice differences away from this, but probably not 1mm difference here, 2mm there etc.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I just used to turn up and ride and never noticed any differences in geometry or set up because I was too busy hanging on!
As I got better I could afford the mental capacity to think about the ride rather than how to avoid hitting something. This allowed me to notice that my hands and arse hurt (new gloves, grips and saddle). Then that the ride felt a bit hard (lower tyre pressure). You get my drift? Further changes to set up (lever position-left/right, angle, location of remote). Then it started to get technical with suspension settings. Then eventually new bikes occurred (FS XC, FS Trail, FS.......emtb) with a whole new raft of learning opportunities.

When I went tubeless and started to go lower in pressure, I was astonished to find that just one psi either way affected my ride. I can't tell you what my tyre pressure is, but I can tell you whether it is too high or too low for me, and often only a very minor change is required. I suppose I could be accused of being pernickety, - it's only a bike, right? But why not get it spot on if you have the time and the inclination to do so?

Once I have noticed something that I like, I am motivated to retain or get more of it. Ditto with something I dislike, I want to improve it or get rid of it. Once the change has been made, the process of change seems to stick in my memory and I can feel the difference when something changes. I am absolutely not a professional rider or tester, and I haven't had that many bikes either. But I do think about what I'm doing and try to understand what is going on. As some on here will testify, not always with great success.

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I'm not a great rider. I never will be. Too old to learn some of the really cool stuff. But I'm extremely fussy about my bike set up. I'm not a racer or a jumper so I want to be comfortable, with no pain and in a good riding position.

Like Steve (@steve_sordy) I started tinkering to get rid of issues here and there like sore hands. Next thing you know I'm tubeless and measuring my inside leg. Since most of it can be done with nothing more than a pump, shock pump and multi-tool it costs nothing to improve your comfort on the bike and your ride position. And to be honest I just enjoy tinkering with my bikes.

It isn't rocket science. Move something and try it. If it's better keep it. Worse put it back where it was. My only piece of advice is to do one thing at a time. Just do your bar sweep or seat height. Not both at once. And never cut your bars until you're sure....

Gordon

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Asuming you have the basics covered (eg. sensible sag, rebound and control point positioning) I'd stop worrying too much about set-up and just ride your bikes more.
it's the one thing that is guaranteed to improve your riding.
Everything else will fall into place the more riding experience you have and the more you improve.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Too old to learn some of the really cool stuff.
Don't have any idea how old you are or what you consider "cool" stuff but I seriously doubt you're too old to learn some new moves to do on your bike.
But what ever it is, my honest advice would be learn it using a normal bike.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Don't have any idea how old you are or what you consider "cool" stuff but I seriously doubt you're too old to learn some new moves to do on your bike.
But what ever it is, my honest advice would be learn it using a normal bike.

Thanks Gary. I'm 56 and learn something every ride. I do improve. But the big air and double black downhill will remain beyond my pay grade. Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly improving and I just want to be able to rip a few trails for fun and come out mostly in one piece. :) My goals are to be smooth not spectacular.

My new eZesty without the motor/battery is about the same weight as my 3 year old Trek Fuel. But really when I'm trying to get better I just swap to flats (life long clipless rider). That keeps me on my toes. :)

Gordon

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Cheers Gary. I'm not "worried" about set up indeed my post was prompted by the fact that I was questioning the usefulness of 2mm here or there and my doubts that someone of my limited ability would notice any difference. I sometimes think these things are driven by fads and fashion and that it might be ever so slightly different to your current bike. I'm sure that I would just adapt to many of the differences. I am, of course, speaking for the average rider not someone at the top of their game.

Al

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I sometimes think these things are driven by fads and fashion and that it might be ever so slightly different to your current bike
in many cases, Massively fashion driven.
Cycling fads are cyclical. Some are genuinely beneficial and those are the ones that tend to last. Some really aren't and will tend to fade away into obscurity over time.
Remember 800mm flat bars in DH? Yeah. Exactly. Best forgotten really.

Thing is. Put any good rider on a bike from 10 years ago and they'll still be a good rider. And that 10 year out of date technology won't really hinder them.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
You should keep a record while you're dialling in. I do, for each bike. For example my tyre pressures have changed from running tubes - to tubeless with exo (actually needed to go up in psi with tubless) to back down with tyre inserts. Keeping a record is awesome - measure how much suspension you have left after each ride. I've also had to change suspension pressures because I removed the tokens from my shock which meant adding more pressure. I also added a bit more to the fork because I've been getting into jumps. Bottoming out now and then is not a bad thing - you might as well use all the suspension you've paid for. I bottom out every now and then (once in 2 or three rides?), usually when I'm hitting jumps harder or not landing so smooth. I do use the anti pedal bob switch on the shock, and I add 3 clicks of damping on the fork before playing on jumps. The jumps are generally smooth, and adding some damping just means I don't have to run higher pressures for the whole ride. It's really handy actually. I haven't changed any settings for a while now - everything is sweet. Until I start doing bigger drops :ROFLMAO:. I'm with Gary on age - I try not to consider that, I think it's a bit of a cop out. I'm 57.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles