Bike Cover for Storing and Keeping Wife Onside.

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
(Wife onside, not inside)

I have a Kenevo, it's a big old thing and looking for a bike cover, ideally something like the BIke Johnny that zips up and covers the wheels? I have one but it just can't stretch over around the bars, gets too tight and looks like it might rip. I basically need some sort of solution for bringing the bike through the house without leaving the entire bike park on the floor as I go, and storing it in the backroom. I do clean it though but it's then wet and still a little muddy. Looked at those wheel-to-wheel stretchy covers but think they won't fit and look a right pain to get on a heavy eMTB. Any suggestions or solutions.

Yes, wash the bike better and blow dry. Yes, buy a new clean bike on the way home. Obs. :)

Don't want to take the bike apart either so a travel case isn't on the cards.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I assume you are talking a bout bringing the bike inside the house? Personally I do not think bike covers are a good idea unless they are very well ventilated, especially storing indoors. I keep my bike indoors in the winter. I leave it in my van or the garage for a while then just brush off the dirt rather than wash it. What remains after brushing I wipe off with a cloth, damp if necessary, and then a silicon spray. Inside the house it stands on a fork mount on a carpet runner with a fleece throw over it. Oh....and don't lube until you are ready to ride!!

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
I assume you are talking a bout bringing the bike inside the house? Personally I do not think bike covers are a good idea unless they are very well ventilated, especially storing indoors. I keep my bike indoors in the winter. I leave it in my van or the garage for a while then just brush off the dirt rather than wash it. What remains after brushing I wipe off with a cloth, damp if necessary, and then a silicon spray. Inside the house it stands on a fork mount on a carpet runner with a fleece throw over it. Oh....and don't lube until you are ready to ride!!

Yes, I'm asking about bringing the bike indoors and not making a mess doing so, the Bike Johnny has ventilation holes but doesn't fit the bike.

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
Turn it upside down? :D

That's a 25kg work out right there.... :) Happy to carry it obviously but wrapping/zipping/enclosing it up easily is the goal. Could look at getting some wheel bags and then zip up the frame in the Bike Johnny. That could work. But a bit of a pain.

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
Life is not that simple! One of the chain reaction bike bags may work, but I think you have to take 1 or more wheel off.

Agreed, not my ideal there is the White Lightning Wheel Johnny, that holds both wheels and even the fat ones on the bike but it will be a pain. If there is no easy solution. So be it. I will have to progress with the wife firmly OFFSIDE.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I normally hose the bike off, zap over with an 18v cordless makita leaf blower (it's tiny, I also have the 36v one and I think I could use that to gain an extra 20kph if I could be bothered strapping it to the bike to test one day). Then wiz over with a microfibre cloth. After that it's dry, there's no moisture trapped anywhere to drip (which is also better for the bike as well as the OH).

Alternatively you could just buy a couple of 1 tonne bags, stuff one on the front and one on the back, carry it through and then slide the bags mainly off so it breaths.

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
I normally hose the bike off, zap over with an 18v cordless makita leaf blower (it's tiny, I also have the 36v one and I think I could use that to gain an extra 20kph if I could be bothered strapping it to the bike to test one day). Then wiz over with a microfibre cloth. After that it's dry, there's no moisture trapped anywhere to drip (which is also better for the bike as well as the OH).

Alternatively you could just buy a couple of 1 tonne bags, stuff one on the front and one on the back, carry it through and then slide the bags mainly off so it breaths.

Ok. Plan B. New Wife.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
velosock.jpg

Full Bike Cover for MTB - Shard

Rather expensive, but looking good. A friend keeps his EMTB and road bike in the house, both using this (different model for the road bike obviously)

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Are duffbags still around? I used to have one of them before I binned the wife off and just wheel it into the lounge these days.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I was thinking about this problem after washing my bike not so worried about the wife (although gone are my days of stripping the bike on the coffee table) but leaving it sitting damp dripping in workshop. Normally rinse - bounce it on the rear wheel - towel off, but it was raining that day. I could of blasted it with the airhose but thats nono. So I thought of using a Wet and dry vac..

You could make a thin long trolley from 4x2, casters and a floor stand. But to be honest one of these, bike up on the rear wheel go through the house? zip tie a tray to the bottom for drips..

2704-ds435-1--.jpg

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Big roll of plastic. Roll out. Wheel bike over plastic. Roll up plastic.

Or for something more high tech make a bike dolly. Basically a floor stand attached to a 1.8 x .5M piece of timber with 4 castor wheels.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles