Better jockeys

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
After a year of riding covering 600 miles virtually all offroad, and riding right through the wettest mudiest UK winter I can remember the jockey wheels on my SRAM GX mech had lots of sideplay. They also attract crap for a pastime.....SO upgraded to some HOPE replacements. Unbelievable improvement in shifting as a result.

20200410_141720.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
£36 from CRC....not cheap but titanium for the roadies is lot more!

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
After a year of riding covering 600 miles virtually all offroad, and riding right through the wettest mudiest UK winter I can remember the jockey wheels on my SRAM GX mech had lots of sideplay. They also attract crap for a pastime.....SO upgraded to some HOPE replacements. Unbelievable improvement in shifting as a result.

The thing is, with this substitution you will now no longer be availing yourself of SRAM's near rocket-science X-Sync "technology" (pattern of tooth thickness/shape), so in their theory your chain is now more likely to rattle off as a consequence, and they would say you might also find you have more issues with mud, wear and uneven backpedaling!

However, if I can only have one or the other, I would much prefer they had simply put decent bearings and seals in the jockey wheels of my (RRP £106) Eagle NX derailleur and instead left out the X-Sync pattern. After just 1,200kms my original plastic jockey wheels had lost their X-Sync shape to a large degree anyway. And at this time the bushes (NX don't have bearings, just crappy bushes with pathetic seals which means dirt always gets in so they wear even faster than they otherwise would) had developed loads of play, and the shifting was now not precise as a consequence.

So, like you, I decided to replace with non-SRAM alloy jockey wheels with quality bearings, even though I'd be forgoing the X-Sync benefits. I've got an earlier version of these : Uberbike 12/14T SRAM Eagle 12 Speed Jockey Wheels - Made In Sheffield UK
As they're SRAM Eagle specific it would have been nice if they'd had the X-Sync pattern too. In this latest version they've added a "retaining lip" for the 14 tooth pulley, they say "to solve any derailment issues that may arise due to setup issues". Why they didn't just make it X-Sync pattern instead I can't imagine. But nonetheless mine doesn't even have the retaining lip and in 1,900kms the chain has never come off anyway (btw my bike has no chain guide and is a hardtail so the back end rattles a lot!). And after these 1,900kms, having plenty of time due to coronavirus lockdown, I rebuilt my entire derailleur. I prised the seals on the jockey wheels so I could clean them out and re-grease but I don't think I should have bothered as once I'd done that I could see that there was still plenty of grease in them and no dirt had got in at all - now that's the sort of quality I was looking for! So probably better to have left these extremely tight and efficient seals in place because after prising them out, however carefully, they may not be quite as good as before, who knows.
Have attached a pic from which you can get an idea of the current state of the jockey wheels. Yes the anodisation has come off a little, but essentially they're still the same shape after 1,900kms and the bearings feel the same as new and the shifting is still as good as a derailleur with brand new standard SRAM NX Eagle jockey wheels (I've got 4 of them, and two sets of Uberbike jockey wheels,
IMG_20200411_221447_519.jpg
so in a reasonable position to judge).

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere

View attachment 28629
I did the same mod for my 19 Kenevo with the addition of a bike yoke top wheel and it also improved my shifting a great deal. Definitely worth the money

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
As they're SRAM Eagle specific it would have been nice if they'd had the X-Sync pattern too. ............ Why they didn't just make it X-Sync pattern instead I can't imagine. ..............
Probably because SRAM's near rocket-science X-Sync "technology" is patented. :unsure:

I don't know that it is, because I haven't checked, but if it's "rocket-science" good then it probably is patented. :)

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hello,
Thank you for the topic and info about the Hope jockeys. Having serviced my SRAM 12x GX nylon jockeys these days I looked for upgrading and ended with the 12/14 jockeys by Hope.

BUT in general the Hopes for SRAM are hard to find on stock at German online stores., I finally found and ordered today. Is there any reason? Does Hope have probs in delivery or changing to revised version?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
And for dentist bikes.
Must be a lot of dentists in The Netherlands. ;)

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
won't metal jockeys just increase chain wear?
We're talking about the bearings, not the composition of the jockey wheels (which are plastic composite).

I have put them on our bikes (both 2022 alloy Rail) because they are solid, don't have holes in them to pick up crap and get debris jammed into them potentially causing derailleur damage. I have put BBB jockeys with metal bearing on my wife's bike and the same jockeys with ceramic bearings on my bike, to see which lasts better.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
We're talking about the bearings, not the composition of the jockey wheels (which are plastic composite).

We have then on our bikes because they are solid, don't have holes in them to pick up crap and get debris jammed into them potentially causing derailleur damage. I have put BBB jockeys with metal bearing on my wife's bike and the same jockeys with ceramic bearings on my bike, to see which lasts better.
aren't hope jockey wheels as pictured in this thread multiple times metal?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ark said:
won't metal jockeys just increase chain wear?

I had always believed that the Hope jockey wheels were made from one of the various Aluminium alloys. Whichever alloy it is, it will be softer than what the chains are made from. In any case, the chain slots into the jockey and just sits there as the jockey rotates with the chain. There will be very little wear. Until of course the chain starts to "stretch" ie wear, then the chain will wear the jockeys in the same way that it wears the alloy rings on your cassette.

However, you must take into account that compared to the rings, the jockey wheels are under very low stress and will last for ages.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
I changed the jockey wheels as the original SRAM GX 2022 started soon to show wear on the nylon wheels. In addition, as mentioned by the TO, these had been real grease collectors.
During the first tour I did not notice a change in the shifting performance that was crisp from the beginning. But when changing gear upwards I feel like it is a louder „clack“ than with the „nylons“.

IMG_2550.jpeg

IMG_2549.jpeg

After first tour quite clean but I found having installed the upper wheel with wrong running direction 🫣

IMG_2544.jpeg

@Moderator - Maybe topic could be moved to section „components“?

Last edited:

RiderOnTheStorm

I recently replaced the basic jockey wheels on my SRAM GX derailleur with the Polish AluGear Aero pulleys. Very pleased. CNC machined aluminum, narrow/wide cogs, sealed ball bearings. They are quiet and have a nice, functional design (no openings that would catch branches and sticks, and cause a mess...)
alugear.jpg

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

I have put them on our bikes (both 2022 alloy Rail) because they are solid, don't have holes in them to pick up crap and get debris jammed into them potentially causing derailleur damage. I have put BBB jockeys with metal bearing on my wife's bike and the same jockeys with ceramic bearings on my bike, to see which lasts better.
After 6 months both sets of BBB jockey wheels ("RollerBoys") spin just the same and because they have no holes in them have not had any debris trapped in them. So although my bike does twice the mileage of my wife's bike, seems best to use the metal bearing wheels because they are about half the price of the ceramic bearings wheels. End of experiment.

Edit: half the price

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
So I am apparently now a dentist (see above) as I reacted to a 60% off deal on Ceramicspeed pulleys for SRAM AXS Eagle - gotta say they work really, really well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles