Levo Gen 2 Best brakes? -from stock SRAM guide

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
On longer downhills my hands get stiff and tired with my current SRAM Guide brakes, been thinking about an upgrade and wanted to see what wisdom there was here as to the best brakes? Was looking at the Maguras but I've never ridden them...the Hopes look cool but I'm most interested in performance. I ride in the mountains where the hills can be steep and long.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
On longer downhills my hands get stiff and tired with my current SRAM Guide brakes, been thinking about an upgrade and wanted to see what wisdom there was here as to the best brakes? Was looking at the Maguras but I've never ridden them...the Hopes look cool but I'm most interested in performance. I ride in the mountains where the hills can be steep and long.
Have you already tried different pads and a larger rotor? I also thought I needed, or at least wanted, new brakes until I put on a larger floating rotor and different compound pads. I no longer feel a need or desire to swap them out. They completely changed the experience for a lot less money.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
REs are plenty powerful enough.
The main difference between an RE and SRAMs more expensive offerings is the swing link. slightly nicer lever feel when braking.

Are you sure you're not simply braking too much?

also freshen up your pads

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
these?

That's what I use. There's other sintered pads. I get better braking power, less fading on long descents. Only negative is you have to drag them a bit to heat them up

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
The new four pots are better.

Define "better"...

I tried the XT 4 piston. I'm now running Saints. Saints are more powerful, I suspect because of the lever design as the calipers look identical. Although the metal pads probably make a difference too.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA

I started with the stock Code R brakes. Hated them, not nearly enough power. I tried the XT 4-piston brakes, which were much better, but I still wanted more power. I'm now running Saints.

One thing worth understanding is whether or not you like a squishy lever. SRAM and Magura tend to have more lever travel. Some folks feel like this makes it easier to modulate the brake. I prefer Shimano levers. The lever travel is tight and I don't have a problem with modulation. But I know some folks do.

Another issue is heat management. My primary problem with brakes on the Levo has been overheating rotors. After going through several rotors I'm running the RT-MT900 rotors with good results.

I think the Levo should be specced with downhill brakes out of the box. If you ride hard at all the stock brakes are wholly insufficient. But I realize the average Levo purchaser *probably* doesn't need that much braking power. I think you're on the right track looking for an upgrade, having been there myself.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I can’t see Guide RE’s being the issue , certainly in terms of power if you are running 203mm both ends.

i like Shimano brakes, but have RE’s on two bikes and had expected to ditch them, but 2 years later I still have them and no issues.

IMO the difference between the decent 4pot brakes out there is not that great, and getting them dialed In correctly in terms of lever positions etc is just as important.

the symptoms you are describing sound more like you are braking a lot and holding on too tight.

personally rather than junk what is to all intense and purposes a very good brake set, I would play around with the set up first.

I take it you are one finger braking andhave set the levers up at an angle that works for you?

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
I can’t see Guide RE’s being the issue , certainly in terms of power if you are running 203mm both ends.

i like Shimano brakes, but have RE’s on two bikes and had expected to ditch them, but 2 years later I still have them and no issues.

IMO the difference between the decent 4pot brakes out there is not that great, and getting them dialed In correctly in terms of lever positions etc is just as important.

the symptoms you are describing sound more like you are braking a lot and holding on too tight.

personally rather than junk what is to all intense and purposes a very good brake set, I would play around with the set up first.

I take it you are one finger braking andhave set the levers up at an angle that works for you?
prolly good advice. the trail that started this thread is very long and very steep so maybe I'm just being a baby.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ha, I doubt you are being a baby, but technique has as much to do with good braking as the brakes themselves.

About 6 months ago I tried some different grips, and started get hand/finger pain when braking, and this was mainly due to the fact I had to grip a lot tighter wit the new grips than my other ones, as I found I couldn't maintain a looser grip.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
I'm currently trying out a Shigura set-up. Magura Caliper and Shimano 9120 XTR Levers. The Magura MT7 pro were already powerful, now they have a much quicker bite point. The rear bite point on the MT7 always feels a bit lack lustre when the pads are bed in.

cjc.emtb

Oct 13, 2020
Puerto Rico
(y) i went from 180 to 200 in the back and that was definitely better
Same here, and upgraded with the new HS2 200mm Rotors front and back.

37BCEA50-2C47-44F7-BDCF-6A4F7665320F.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I like the Code RSCs with 220 front and 200 rear rotors. Lever throw and bite point can be adjusted and I like my levers very close to the grip and the bite point slightly different on each brake. That way I have almost an full four finger grip on the bars. Assuming the brakes are well maintained ( annual bleed/ fairly regular piston clean depending on riding conditions) the most significant difference in perfomance in my experience comes from 2 things.
First...........the pads. I use sintered and recently tried a brand called Race Ti which have significantly more bite than the SRAM pads. If your brakes get a hammering it is easy to glaze the pads. Its easilly fixed with some wet and dry but if you dont do that the brakes will be poor.
Second........how you use the brakes. I have been guilty in the past of favouring the rear brake when in fact the front brake is significantly more powerful provided the bike is going relatively straight. Dragging the brakes/half braking merely leads to overheated rotors and glazed pads and/or brake fade just when you need them most! If speed needs to be controlled hit the brakes hard and release.
I have never really understood the issue about modulation. All brakes can be modulated its just that some ( e.g some Shimano brakes) need a little more finesse.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles