2019 Levo Comp SRAM GUIDE RE brake upgrade?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi all,

A short question, I like to upgrade the brakes of my 2019 Levo Comp. Current ones are SRAM GUIDE RE. The issue I have is that when the brakes get hot I end up with a vapor lock too easily. This happens relative fast and therefore I find the brakes unreliable.

I read a lot of reviews like:
The best MTB disc brake you can buy | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine
but unfortunately I can't try them anywhere.

I am thinking of SRAM CODE RSC (which has an additional heat shield) and keep the stock rotors or Shimano Saints (which offers cooling fins on the brake pads) but will require new discs? SRAM uses DOT5.1 (attracts water) and Shimano uses mineral oil (doesn't attract water) Which ones do you prefer? Maybe someone has a better alternative?

@Stumpy, I read this post:
Code RSC’s vs. M8020’s? - EMTB Forums
which ones did you choose? Are you happy with them?

Thanks for your help!

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I swapped out the Guide RE that came on my Levo for a set of Magura MT5 with one finger levers. Great brakes under all conditions. Only disadvantage is they chew thru pads quite quickly but it's a price I'm willing to pay for the power and modulation.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I swapped out the Guide RE that came on my Levo for a set of Magura MT5 with one finger levers. Great brakes under all conditions. Only disadvantage is they chew thru pads quite quickly but it's a price I'm willing to pay for the power and modulation.

Thanks for your reply! I didn't check Magura in detail yet. Will consider it now too.

Did you keep the original discs?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Just had a call with my LBS, they were totally no fan of Magura as they experienced issues in the past especially with very difficult bleeding and reliability. They however were not sure if these where the MT7 series. They recommend either SRAM or Shimano. Need to do some more research...

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Just had a call with my LBS, they were totally no fan of Magura as they experienced issues in the past especially with very difficult bleeding and reliability. They however were not sure if these where the MT7 series. They recommend either SRAM or Shimano. Need to do some more research...
Take a look at the Hayes Dominion, in many tests rated the best 4 pot brake right now. They are a bit bitchy to setup but after that a fantastic brake setup.

Karsten

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
I have code rsc on my levo and tried nearly every brand over last few years and nothing comes close to the codes for my style of riding, have no brake fading, currently trying ubuk e bike specific brake pads and there sweet for the price.
I have a brand new set of code re for sale, only reason I swapped is I like the added adjustment. I think the code rs are amazing as well, so myb try different pads and bed them in properly before wasting money when not needed. 80% of complaints about sram brakes is that there not set up properly in the first place this gives everyone a bad impression, all the bonus for the rest of us when people swap them out and sell them cheap ?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I have code rsc on my levo and tried nearly every brand over last few years and nothing comes close to the codes for my style of riding, have no brake fading, currently trying ubuk e bike specific brake pads and there sweet for the price.
I have a brand new set of code re for sale, only reason I swapped is I like the added adjustment. I think the code rs are amazing as well, so myb try different pads and bed them in properly before wasting money when not needed. 80% of complaints about sram brakes is that there not set up properly in the first place this gives everyone a bad impression, all the bonus for the rest of us when people swap them out and sell them cheap ?

Guide RE use Code RSC metal pads. The reasons why the RSC's work better is the extra volume of brake fluid and the piston material as they both are directly related to better heat management of the brakes.

There is some truth to what you say about brakes that haven't been correctly set up and pads that haven't been bedded in correctly too but low level SRAM brakes in my experience are generally ok for the average user who don't do big descents but when they are pushed at all they will fade quite quickly. There is also the other side of average users who get themselves in over their heads and drag their brakes much too frequently which leads to overheating and fading which the SRAM brakes don't like.

Brakes are the most important thing and if you are out riding the brakes it's time for an upgrade! Better having too much than too little ;)

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I would go for the Shimano 4 pots any day. Have enjoyed using just about every variant available this past year and even the cheapies do the business in my mind.
However, if I had coinage to splash out I would love to put a set of Hope Tech 3 V4s with floating rotors on my Levo.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
If I replace current Guide RE brakes with Code RSC will I also have to replace the rear hose or can I reuse current hose with Code RSC caliper?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm also looking to upgrade guide re to code r, so I would love to know about the rear brake hose too.
That's barely an upgrade at all.
Same lever, slightly newer/larger code caliper (RE's use the old 2011 code caliper with the guide R lever).
RS lever is an actual upgrade, bearings in the lever pivot and a cam to improve freestroke/power
Personally I find REs perfectly goodon an Eeb (But I also find Guide RS perfectly good on a DH race bike). what pads do you have in your RE's?

(in theory) you should be able to just swap caliper. Depending on which hose fitting your current RE caliper has

If you want sheer power on a budget I'd recommend trying Shimano Zee or the cheap MT501/520
Maguras I find horible (lever shape/feel and set-up)

DaveNewing

Feb 3, 2020
UK
Same lever, slightly newer/larger code caliper (RE's use the old 2011 code caliper with the guide R lever).
RS lever is an actual upgrade, bearings in the lever pivot and a cam to improve freestroke/power
Personally I find REs perfectly goodon an Eeb (But I also find Guide RS perfectly good on a DH race bike). what pads do you have in your RE's?

(in theory) you should be able to just swap caliper. Depending on which hose fitting your current RE caliper has

If you want sheer power on a budget I'd recommend trying Shimano Zee or the cheap MT501/520

Hi Gary. My guide re have the same style of banjo fitting as the code r. The banjo fitting mounts on the outside of the codes, where the fitting is sandwiched between both halves of the caliper on the guides.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They both have the same 8mm flats to remove the hose?
so should have the same threads to swap between each hose/caliper

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Obviously Guide RE and Code RSC/R calipers use different banjo fitting design, so hose may be reusable but I guess banjo fitting replacement is also required ... Is this Code RSC/R banyo fitting installation/replacement a simple DIY or you must have some special tools to do it? It looks like the sleeve around hose is then compressed?

IMG_20200226_170521.jpg

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
I test rode the Levo last week and hated the RE’s. They are all on or off, no modulation whatsoever. I have code rsc’s on my stumpjumper and really love them so will upgrade to the rsc’s when I get mine. It will be the first and immediate upgrade from the shop.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
My 2019 Comp Carbon came with RE's and their modulation is perfect on it. I've ridden a Levo with Shimano since getting mine and found they had no modulation and were either on or off. Could it be how they are bedded in or an adjustment?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I can also confirm Guide RE's have a lot of modulation, was quite happy with them on 2020 Levo Comp, but a good deal came in for Code RSC which I could not refuse ...

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
I upgraded to TRP Quadiems on my Kenevo...I have had just about every other option...Saints would be my previous favorite for heavy bikes...Quadiems are better. Great modulation and feel, and they never get fatigued.

Paceman

Jul 8, 2019
Brighton
I test rode the Levo last week and hated the RE’s. They are all on or off, no modulation whatsoever. I have code rsc’s on my stumpjumper and really love them so will upgrade to the rsc’s when I get mine. It will be the first and immediate upgrade from the shop.

You do realise Sram Guide RE’s have exactly the same calliper as Code RSC’s? The only difference will be the levers.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You do realise Sram Guide RE’s have exactly the same calliper as Code RSC’s? The only difference will be the levers.
Not true. Guide RE's have same caliper as old Code, totaly different to newer Code RSC ...

DaveNewing

Feb 3, 2020
UK
They both have the same 8mm flats to remove the hose?
so should have the same threads to swap between each hose/caliper
Well, I went to swap over the rear brake yesterday and hit a glitch. The Guide RE use a coupling at each end of the hose with 8mm flats. The Code R only have that coupling at the brake lever end, the caliper end is a crimped connection (it cannot be removed with a spanner). The actual banjo design is different between the rear Guide RE and rear Code R, so the whole hose needs to come out of the frame, and the Code R fitted back in. Removing the old hose is a nightmare, as there are multiple clamp points around the frame. Even with all the visible clamps undone/removed, the hose still doesn't come out of the frame.
Any ideas?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
2 days back I also replaced my rear brake Guide RE to Code RSC on my 5 months old Levo 2020 Comp. I used old hose as a pull wire (used barb connector to join 2 hoses together) and it went very nicely. You have to loosen 3 clamps on the frame and remove the shox for better access to 2 of those clamps. What bike do you have?

DaveNewing

Feb 3, 2020
UK
2 days back I also replaced my rear brake Guide RE to Code RSC, bike is 5 months old Levo 2020 Comp. I used old hose as a pull wire (used barb connector to join 2 hoses together) and it went very nicely. You have to loosen 3 clamps on the frame and remove the shox for better access to 2 of those clamps. What bike do you have?
I have the 2020 levo comp. I loosened the clamp on the inside of the chain stay, the small clamp behind the shock and the larger clamp just below the shock. The hose would barely move and I couldn't find any more clamps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles