Beginner Friendly Trails in Moab, UT

Kellermanns

Jun 18, 2020
Erie, CO
Hello everyone - I’m planning a long weekend with my Levo in Moab and I’m looking at beginner friendly trails in the area. I already found
  • Dead Horse Park
  • Sandflats Road
  • Klondike Bluff 4x4 Road
  • Baby Steps Loop
Any others I should look at?

Thanks and stay safe
Dave

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Hi Dave - Most importantly, when are you planning on going?

Also, It would help to know more about your mtb experience, i.e., to define what you mean by "beginner", and what you're looking for.

Dead Horse Point State Park is a good choice. It's very scenic, is at a little higher elevation (6000 ft) providing cooler riding conditions, and the Intrepid trail system there is beginner friendly but demanding enough to be fun.

There are lots of other choices depending on when you're going and what you want.

DHPSP.jpg

Kellermanns

Jun 18, 2020
Erie, CO
Good point - planning for Labor Day weekend (beginning of September).

As for beginner - I’m comfortable on bikes, but this is my first mountain bike, so the skills are slightly different ;-) Currently learning about how to ride over obstacles, how to ride banked corners, etc.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
We avoid mid-June to mid-September due to summer heat, and we avoid holiday weekends due to crowds, but if that's your ride window...

Start early, really early, like sunrise and carry LOTS of water. The Klondike and Sand Flats areas are exposed and will likely be scorching hot.

DHPSP will be 5-10° cooler than lower elevations, so it's a good choice. The Intrepid trails there will provide a solid intro to Moab mtb although I might want to learn on a non-E mtb first. The power of the Levo will be fun and will help at times, just don't get carried away (double meaning!). The Intrepid trails are all doable, no surprises, just a few very short tech sections that are obvious you'll have to walk up or down, no big deal. All trail sections combined only total ~14 miles with ~1000 feet of climbing (lots of short up/down punches, but there is some slow going at times. You can bail at many junctions and/or repeat sections in reverse. We normally do one loop on our regular bikes and do two loops on our Levos/Levo SLs by going back in reverse.

Another option is the Monitor and Merrimac loop. It's very much beginner level, and usually not as crowded as more popular trails. There's also a lot of slickrock around the mid-way area that provides an open playground. The M&M mtb trail itself doesn't actually go to the Buttes - it just offers a view of them - but you can follow some jeep roads that will get you there if you're willing to explore a bit. It's great fun riding around the buttes if you can get there!

Monitor and Merrimac MTB trail and Courthouse Rock (Mrs levity on her Stumpjumper)
M&M.jpg

slickrock riding around the buttes
Buttes.jpg

Have fun, but stay safe!

akhilash

Apr 7, 2023
US
Moab, UT is a great destination for outdoor enthusiasts of all levels and abilities. Beginner trails in the area offer an opportunity to explore some of the most beautiful and awe-inspiring scenery that this part of the country has to offer. The trails are generally short and easily accessible, making them ideal for those who want to get out there but don't want their experience to be too daunting or strenuous.

Some of my favourite beginner-friendly trails in Moab include Negro Bill Canyon Trail, Dead Horse Point State Park Trail, Gemini Bridges Trail, Corona Arch Trail, Arches National Park Trails and Slickrock Bike Trail. Each of these trails offers stunning views from different points along the way while also allowing you to make progress at your own pace as you take on new challenges along the way.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles