• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Before I break something, have a crank question?

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
After reading on this forum about replacing the crank arm set on my 2019 Giant Etrance, I bought a shorter set 160mm. Just to verify before I break something, the cranks are self extracting, but the new crank arm set did not come with the dust covers.
1. To remove the dust covers, are both dust covers left handed threads (turn clockwise to remove)?
2. To remove the left crank, is that normal right hand threads like the right crank (counterclockwise to remove both sides)?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
self extracting bolts don't have dust covers.
They have an insert that threads into the crank arm and the actual crank bolt presses against this when undone, pulling (or self-extracting) the arm.
the inserts can often be left hand thread. But this is dependent on crank.

eg.

vm68i.gif

Depending on crank. washer (1) isn't always present.

(Just FYI) I don't have a Giant E-bike or know what your crank is

Last edited:

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Thanks for the reply's. I search for hours before I post up. I did discover that the stock Praxis crank arm bolts both remove CCW, but the Insert cap removes CW (left hand threads verified on the left crank, never could get the right one off). I have bought the Samox 160mm crank arms, but they do not come with the crank bolts or "inserts", but I did realize the Praxis bits do not fit in the Samox crank arms. I just bought two Samox Crank Arm bolt kits, but conventional CW (right hand) threads in hopes I can use these. I will post up when I get them to hopefully help out somebody else.
Ok, for Samox cranks, order the SAMOX ISIS Self-Extracting Right Hand eBike Crank Spindle Bolt - M15x1mm (CR6588, with inserts). It comes two to a package, so only order one, unlike what I did.

And for the crank arms for a giant Trance:

SAMOX E3 BO Crank Arm Set - 160mm Bosch GEN 2/ Yamaha (ISIS Spindle)
  • 6061 alloy forged arms
  • 15mm offset
  • Number of Chainrings: No Rings Included
  • Color: Black
  • Pedal Spindle: 9/16"

Last edited:

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Ok, for Samox cranks, order the SAMOX ISIS Self-Extracting Right Hand eBike Crank Spindle Bolt - M15x1mm (CR6588, with inserts). It comes two to a package, so only order one, unlike what I did.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles