• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

HELP! Something is not right when putting load on the smaller cog!

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Hi,

I’ve posted before, but I’m going to start a new thread. This issue is driving me nuts!

I’ve got a new Canyon Strive with 12sp XT drive train.

Under toque on the lowest gear (smallest cog) the chain skips or at least I think it’s the chain. I do feel it gets worse after each ride.

The gears shift fine with no issues or noise when on the workstand. I’ve checked all the adjustments and it’s setup correctly. The bike has been to Canyon twice and the rear cassette and chain has been replaced.

How do I diagnose the problem and what could it be?

I was meant to go for a ride tomorrow :(

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A worn cassette or worn chain on a new cassette would have been my first suggestion, but you report that they are both new. Next step would be the freewheel and then a worn ring. Freewheels do wear, they also can get water in there and the ratchet springs corrode. Unless it's something in the motor, I'm out of ideas. Worn rings can slip, it just doesn't happen as often as they have to be quite bad. This would do it! (New one in the background).

Big rings.jpg

That ring worked fine with a new chain on the workstand and on the street, but as soon as I put any pressure on, the chain skipped alarmingly. I didn't discover that until I was out on the trail with four buddies! By the way, that is a ring off an mtb, not an emtb

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
A worn cassette or worn chain on a new cassette would have been my first suggestion, but you report that they are both new. Next step would be the freewheel and then a worn ring. Freewheels do wear, they also can get water in there and the ratchet springs corrode. Unless it's something in the motor, I'm out of ideas. Worn rings can slip, it just doesn't happen as often as they have to be quite bad. This would do it! (New one in the background).

View attachment 126257

That ring worked fine with a new chain on the workstand and on the street, but as soon as I put any pressure on, the chain skipped alarmingly. I didn't discover that until I was out on the trail with four buddies! By the way, that is a ring off an mtb, not an emtb
Thanks Steve. The chain ring is 6 rides old, so I’m thinking it’s the freehub. I have no experience fixing these so going to take it apart and see if there are any damage

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks Steve. The chain ring is 6 rides old, so I’m thinking it’s the freehub. I have no experience fixing these so going to take it apart and see if there are any damage
Look out for tiny leaf springs behind the pawls. They push the pawls onto the ratchet teeth and keep them there for instant engagement. If the spring corrodes and loses its power, then suddenly you have no drive. The effect depends upon how many points of engagement there are still working, the general amount of gunk in the area and gravity. If things conspire against you and there are great forces at play, then it can slip.

How do I know all this? Because I had an e13 hub on my Norco Sight and a desperately poor seal design meant that a brand-new hub (with a five-year warranty) lasted about 700 miles. I ended up with three of them all under warranty. Once I had the third one fitted, I sold the bike (the buyer knew the history). It lasted another 700 miles, so he rebuilt the wheel with a different hub and never had another problem.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It seems unlikely to be a freehub issue if the problem is only in the highest gear (nb. Smallest cog is the highest gear!).
It also seems unlikely a lbs would fit a new chain and cassette without checking the limit screws settings and b gap. So what does that leave?
What is left is incorrect chainline either because the chain ring is the wrong offset or incorrectly fitted.....or possibly a rear wheel hub (not freehub) misalignment.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My guess is that the XT cassette lowest cog is incorrectly seated.
....maybe...but on both the old and new cassettes??? Other potential causes include b tension, derailleur clutch and chain length any of which if wrong would give a weak chain wrap on the smallest cog.

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
id re check the derailleur and shifter adjustments, Sounds like the stop on outside, so check its inline when in top gear
I ran through and checked these twice over the weekend. The one thing I've noticed is while they run smoothly, I'm at the limit...err...of the limit screws.

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
The bike is booked in with Canyon for them to sort this out and no riding for a few weeks, which is a shame. Thanks for all the comments everyone. Hopefully, this gets figured out and I'll share what it was (if its fixed).

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
B tension incorrect giving not enough chain wrap on the smallest cog?
They are 10t (?) So if the b tension is too great, there may only be 4 teeth engaged with the chain.

stratosa

Apr 17, 2020
GREECE
B tension incorrect giving not enough chain wrap on the smallest cog?
They are 10t (?) So if the b tension is too great, there may only be 4 teeth engaged with the chain.
You are absolutely right. I solve the same problem loosing the B screw all the way. Forget about the 51t mark.

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
This was the only way I could get my recent linkglide to actually shift nicely was by ignoring the 48t mark on the derailleur which left a 19mm gap and winding it down to 10mm. Crisp shifting and bonus of more chain wrap.
That's interesting because recently I couldn't see the alignment mark on the (Deore 12sp/10-51) derailleur so in the end left about a 8-10mm gap which seemed to shift best with the chain just running freely.

Stevewheels

Oct 11, 2023
San Diego,CA
Maybe you missed a spacer when installing the cassette.
I had the same symptoms when after installing a whole new drivetrain on my bike. Just out of luck I looked at the box and noticed something rattling around in there. A spacer. Bingo.

Good luck.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles