• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered How long before components are discontinued?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Is there any logic in buying spare components e.g. cassettes when the bike is new? ( shimano slx m7000) for example Or risking them being unavailable / discontinued when you actually need to replace them in a few years time.

I guess this will apply to motors too. How long before Bosch Gen 2 components / service kits / or the small front chain ring become difficult to get hold of?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Is there any logic in buying spare components e.g. cassettes when the bike is new? ( shimano slx m7000) for example Or risking them being unavailable / discontinued when you actually need to replace them in a few years time.

I guess this will apply to motors too. How long before Bosch Gen 2 components / service kits / or the small front chain ring become difficult to get hold of?
Shimano refers to this as “projected obsolescence”
They revamp component groups every 3-4 years. For example, if I want to get a new 8-speed XTR derailleur for my 94 GT Team RTS, I have to find one on EBay. Or I could use a 2019 Deore Derailleur.
So I wouldn’t count on E8000 parts support after 4-5 years after the last one rolls off the assembly line.
Because Bosch has so many Gen 2 motors out in the field, I predict parts availability for a few years. I can still get parts for my 10 year old Bosch dishwasher, so I think Bosch will be better than everyone else in this area.
The time to stock up on old parts is usually when the new version that replaces the old version comes out.
I tell my customers to replace their mountain bikes every 2-3 years, because they can be ahead of the curve when everything inevitably changes.
At the rate of progression in Emtbs, this might be 2 years. I recently bought a 2016 Levo Expert in Orange because it was one of my favorite previous Levos that I owned. I picked it up for $1200 because the owner said it was too old. I had originally sold it to the previous owner for $5500 used.
Luckily I have about 8 motors and 15 batteries in the shop, not to mention all of motor covers And other small bits that could keep this bike running for a decade.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I wouldn't worry about components. It is the battery, motor, display unit a that you need to have a concern. The emtb industry is developing rapidly, competition is intense, and the cost of keeping spares for ten years like they do in the motor industry is a cost that I fear will not be borne.

The advice to change every 2-3 years seems good to me. I will just have to bear the pain of seeing my beloved emtb being sold for washers. So why not keep it and use it as a spare when the new one goes in for a warranty claim, or the kids or grandkids need a new ride?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I wouldn't worry about components. It is the battery, motor, display unit a that you need to have a concern. The emtb industry is developing rapidly, competition is intense, and the cost of keeping spares for ten years like they do in the motor industry is a cost that I fear will not be borne.

The advice to change every 2-3 years seems good to me. I will just have to bear the pain of seeing my beloved emtb being sold for washers. So why not keep it and use it as a spare when the new one goes in for a warranty claim, or the kids or grandkids need a new ride?

Replace after 2 years? ?
I ride once a week
That’s £2500 divided by 104
This works out at £24 a ride
A taxi is cheaper ? ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles