Bearings rusted/shot after 6 months on 2020 Trance E+ 1 Pro

metalcat

Mar 11, 2021
Belgium
Hi,
Juste a heads up with regards to the bearings of the 2020 Trance
I don't know if anybody else had seen the same issue as I have. But while thourougly cleaning my bike, I noticed the following :
1. the frame mounted bearings for the lower rocker arm were heavily rusted and already failed
2. all of the other bearings exept of the swingarm upper bearings already rusted but not failed (some close but not yet)
3. The headset was in a desperate need of some grease (already rusted too)

For cleaning, I only use a watering can and mucoff soap with a soft brush. After this I put the bike on the stand (in a warm garage :cool: ), take out the wheels and dry the chain + everything else that need's drying. So no direct attacks on the joints with a water hose or jet wash.
In order to avoid as much as possible mud, goo and water spraying on the bike while riding, I use 4 mudguards (one custom rear which goes all the way down, a "custom protection" for the battery and motor, an sks front shockblade 29" and a MarshGuard Mudguard ). So yes, I do take care off my bike (at least I like to think so).

Findings :
While extracting the bearings, I noticed that no assembly grease had been used, the bearing cups where bone-dry !!!!
Turns out the stock bearings (at least the grey ones) are totally crap.
A bearing extraction/insertion tool is indispensable (I use the Rapid Racer Products bearing tool), you can use "custom tools" but it is a hassle :)

So I replaced all bearings with Enduro, you need two of each :) :
Lower Shock Mount Frame Bearing - 6802 (15x24x5)
Upper rocker arm Lower bearings that attach to the frame - 6900 (10x22x6)
Upper rocker arm rear bearings that mount to the shock - 63800 (10x19x7)
Rear swing arm lower bearings - 6902 (15x28x7)
Rear swing arm upper bearings - 6900 (10x22x6)
Lower swing arm bearings - 6802 (15x24x5)

Grocery list :
6802 x 4 size: 15x24x5
6900 x 4 size: 10x22x6
6902 x 2 size: 15x28x7
63800 x 2 size: 10x19x7

It's not my intention to start a disucussion on the how to clean a bike, giant is crap, giant is great, ..... Just sharing some information :)

Stay safe but have a blast

Last edited:

metalcat

Mar 11, 2021
Belgium
Thanks for the list.
Are the numbers the same on the Reign E+?
Hi Joeri,

No idea, but if you go to Enduro Bearings ABEC 3 Lager
You can measure the bearings. The site will give you the appropriate number in relation with the sizing. Excellent site to order from. Ordered before 22h00, delivered the next day before noon (even here "in de ardennen" ;-) )

Cheers

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Funny you should post this, same problem here, rust running down my MY20
frame from poor quality standard steel bearings in the suspension pivots. Bottom shock mount worst affected.
also installed enduro as replacements.

333823ED-E982-40CA-B4E6-8F5DF828F00B.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Trail Vision bearing supplier is good, was recommended to me and I agree.

Their website is very helpful to ensuring you get the correct bearings. Fast delivery and competitive prices.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
My headset bearings went after about 6 months on my Trance E+ 1 Pro. Everything else was fine up to 2300km when I sold it.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Hi,
Juste a heads up with regards to the bearings of the 2020 Trance
I don't know if anybody else had seen the same issue as I have. But while thourougly cleaning my bike, I noticed the following :
1. the frame mounted bearings for the lower rocker arm were heavily rusted and already failed
2. all of the other bearings exept of the swingarm upper bearings already rusted but not failed (some close but not yet)
3. The headset was in a desperate need of some grease (already rusted too)

For cleaning, I only use a watering can and mucoff soap with a soft brush. After this I put the bike on the stand (in a warm garage :cool: ), take out the wheels and dry the chain + everything else that need's drying. So no direct attacks on the joints with a water hose or jet wash.
In order to avoid as much as possible mud, goo and water spraying on the bike while riding, I use 4 mudguards (one custom rear which goes all the way down, a "custom protection" for the battery and motor, an sks front shockblade 29" and a MarshGuard Mudguard ). So yes, I do take care off my bike (at least I like to think so).

Findings :
While extracting the bearings, I noticed that no assembly grease had been used, the bearing cups where bone-dry !!!!
Turns out the stock bearings (at least the grey ones) are totally crap.
A bearing extraction/insertion tool is indispensable (I use the Rapid Racer Products bearing tool), you can use "custom tools" but it is a hassle :)

So I replaced all bearings with Enduro, you need two of each :) :
Lower Shock Mount Frame Bearing - 6802 (15x24x5)
Upper rocker arm Lower bearings that attach to the frame - 6900 (10x22x6)
Upper rocker arm rear bearings that mount to the shock - 63800 (10x19x7)
Rear swing arm lower bearings - 6902 (15x28x7)
Rear swing arm upper bearings - 6900 (10x22x6)
Lower swing arm bearings - 6802 (15x24x5)

Grocery list :
6802 x 4 size: 15x24x5
6900 x 4 size: 10x22x6
6902 x 2 size: 15x28x7
63800 x 2 size: 10x19x7

It's not my intention to start a disucussion on the how to clean a bike, giant is crap, giant is great, ..... Just sharing some information :)

Stay safe but have a blast
Tough luck. I may be wrong, but I suspect you ride on wet/muddy tracks a lot, and rain is not uncommon.
Where I am in New Zealand, I have ridden 7900 km since March 2019 on my 2019 Giant Trance e-mtb +1 pro, most of it on trails, and not once in rain or muddy conditions. Dust is more of a problem. After each ride, I wash the bike lightly with a fine spray with the hose and a brush, dry the bike, and then wipe the chain, and WD40 all suspension joints, drop seat pillar, and both front and rear shockers. Touch wood, I have had no problem to date.

AOT

Apr 12, 2021
So Cal
I have been riding dirt bikes over three decades, and it's common knowledge that most manufacturers are stingy when it comes to bearing grease, especially steering bearings (looking at you Honda...). I always pull apart a new bike and repack with waterproof grease.
Got a Giant Stance four months ago, pulled off the wheels last month to inspect, only to find minimal lightweight grease in the bearings. Cleaned and repacked with Bel Ray.
This is something e-bike owners should do, especially wet weather riders.
Pay a little now, or a lot later.

woollettg

Apr 27, 2020
Wellington NZ
I'm looking to replace my bearings in my Trance E+1 soon. I've got a slide hammer blind bearing removal tool for the job. What's the strategy for doing the lower pivot in the rear triangle behind the motor? As the brake line and speed cable are threaded through the frame to the back wheel, is it necessary to take them out? Or could I leave the top rocker pivot in and tilt the triangle up to get to them?
Just hoping I'm not too late doing this as badly worn bearings have a tendancy for their inners to pop out when trying to remove them. After that it's a nervous time cutting the stuck outer ring with a dremel.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I'm looking to replace my bearings in my Trance E+1 soon. I've got a slide hammer blind bearing removal tool for the job. What's the strategy for doing the lower pivot in the rear triangle behind the motor? As the brake line and speed cable are threaded through the frame to the back wheel, is it necessary to take them out? Or could I leave the top rocker pivot in and tilt the triangle up to get to them?
Just hoping I'm not too late doing this as badly worn bearings have a tendancy for their inners to pop out when trying to remove them. After that it's a nervous time cutting the stuck outer ring with a dremel.

Just do one set at a time on the tilt.
Works fine mate just take your time, they come out easy with the right tools.

1536FBFD-FA29-47A7-AD6C-CEAA5C324F3D.jpeg

0A2877D6-7CC6-47F6-905C-2EEB6B0FD4E8.jpeg

1E36A041-163A-47D1-AA36-AEA83117F3B3.jpeg

556E5E00-F4EB-49A9-BC85-2D2BEA0F4B28.jpeg

woollettg

Apr 27, 2020
Wellington NZ
I'm having a go and have run into some issues. 2020 Trance E+1.
1. After replacing the bearings in the rocker and inserting the spacer washers the shock would not fit back into the trunion mount.
I ended up pressing the bearings back out slightly so I could get it back in. Not ideal especially for the bearings. Is this normal?
Are all these spacer washers for the top components the same thickness? Have I mixed them up?

2. The bolt holding the lower shock is seized which is strange because the shop had it out 3 months ago to service the shock.
I've tried wood and a hammer no success, what methods work?

3. The bearings on the top of the triangle. The surface of the triangle is on a slope so with a socket as a receiver it won't work, not as pictured here. How do you get them out without the maestro tool? I notice in pictures of it that it has a cutaway in the cup to make this easy.

Any help appreciated

metalcat

Mar 11, 2021
Belgium
I'm having a go and have run into some issues. 2020 Trance E+1.
1. After replacing the bearings in the rocker and inserting the spacer washers the shock would not fit back into the trunion mount.
I ended up pressing the bearings back out slightly so I could get it back in. Not ideal especially for the bearings. Is this normal?
Are all these spacer washers for the top components the same thickness? Have I mixed them up?

2. The bolt holding the lower shock is seized which is strange because the shop had it out 3 months ago to service the shock.
I've tried wood and a hammer no success, what methods work?

3. The bearings on the top of the triangle. The surface of the triangle is on a slope so with a socket as a receiver it won't work, not as pictured here. How do you get them out without the maestro tool? I notice in pictures of it that it has a cutaway in the cup to make this easy.

Any help appreciated

Hi,

1. I didn't have any issue with the washers, fitted like a glove, so maybe yes, you mixed them up. But measuring is knowing ;-)

2. Did you already try to thread in a longer bolt (with the same thread ;-) ) and then hit that longer bolt ?

3. I use the same tool as Evolution Stu and yes the tool did chip off a tiny bit of paint. Maybe with some cloth underneath it won't happen. But afterwards I used some touch up car paint with a tiny brush to repaint it. It's a different color but you hardly notice.

woollettg

Apr 27, 2020
Wellington NZ
Hi,

1. I didn't have any issue with the washers, fitted like a glove, so maybe yes, you mixed them up. But measuring is knowing ;-)

2. Did you already try to thread in a longer bolt (with the same thread ;-) ) and then hit that longer bolt ?

3. I use the same tool as Evolution Stu and yes the tool did chip off a tiny bit of paint. Maybe with some cloth underneath it won't happen. But afterwards I used some touch up car paint with a tiny brush to repaint it. It's a different color but you hardly notice.
Thanks for the advice. The washers are all the same thickness 2.9mm. Tried again pressing bearings fully home. My son got the shock in, different technique to his Dad. Will try bottom set of bearings when I have time in a couple of weeks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles