Bearing replacement Bosch gen 4

marks123

Dec 22, 2021
uk
Hi Jona,
Did you find any guides on how to do this?
I've got the cover off right now and not sure how to proceed (or even if I should!)

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Personally I wouldn't attempt it myself and I have a set of bearing drifts and have done a lot of hubs and BB's over the years.
I watched the above link Bearingman strip and re-bearing a Bosch motor and its quite a job. Including the use of a hydraulic press. If you have one of those and are used to using such things and have some sort of engineering background or interest then by all means. But the chap above will do it right first time, no fannying about

marks123

Dec 22, 2021
uk
Probably wise advice. I've seen the video and it almost dissuaded me.
I purchased the two crank bearings from them last week.
I'm an engineer and have a good drill press (almost hydraulic) - all the gear and no idea!
I emailed them asked if they were busy - they were on holiday for a couple of weeks, so I've thrown caution to the wind. So far one bearing replaced, other later today. Will report back when done, failed or abandoned.
And they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
Probably wise advice. I've seen the video and it almost dissuaded me.
I purchased the two crank bearings from them last week.
I'm an engineer and have a good drill press (almost hydraulic) - all the gear and no idea!
I emailed them asked if they were busy - they were on holiday for a couple of weeks, so I've thrown caution to the wind. So far one bearing replaced, other later today. Will report back when done, failed or abandoned.
And they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
was it the gen 4?

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
can you give the link to the Gen 4 bearing replacement video, haven't found one yet

marks123

Dec 22, 2021
uk
can you give the link to the Gen 4 bearing replacement video, haven't found one yet
There isn't one! The video I saw was for Gen3 - thought it'd be close - its wasn't! Thats what made the job so scary - just winged it!
I ended up having to take the motor core out to get to the bolts holding one of the shaft sensors in place - this can't be right can it?
Its been running fine for a month now.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles