Bosch Gen4 Motor Bearing Seal Protection Grease

Gareth

Apr 20, 2024
Ayrshire
I’m back out on my 2021 Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 ebike.
So it has the Gen 4 motor. Motor failed after 3600 miles.
Refurbished motor that I bought did 180 miles then failed.
Refurbished motor was repaired and it is now back in the bike.

At the moment we are having some dry weather (won't last long!) here on the west coast of Scotland, but it is still pretty wet off road.

Anyway, I intend to start cleaning and greasing the DE and NDE motor bearing seals.

As many of you will know, Bosch sell little tiny tubes of Bosch Long-Life Tacky Grease. In the UK these retail for a tenner. So considering this may be a frequently performed procedure, then 10 quid for 20g or whatever it is, well I need to find something else.

So I’m thinking of buying a cartridge of RAVENOL Marinefett grease.

RAVENOL Marine Grease - 400g Cartridge

“RAVENOL Marine Grease is a yellow-green, fluorescent, sea-water resistant lubrication grease with long-term adhesion properties. It is based on a special, calcium soap and a high-viscous synthetic base oil, as well as specifically selected active ingredients to protect against oxidation, rust and corrosion.”

I also noticed on checking out the very informative “Bosch Gen4 Seal Service and Grease up” thread a picture posted by Stihldog of the BOSCH GEN4 seal kit including a tube of the grease – the tube of grease in Stihldog’s photo has a sticker on it which reveals what the grease actually is – RENOLIT CA-LZS 2 M

So RENOLIT is a FUCHS brand. But I’m struggling to find that grease on sale to the public in the UK.

But I think my Ravenol is a good alternative, and apppears to be readily available. It has a matching specification number KP 2 K-30 So should be similar.

So wondering what you folks think. It is extremely water proof, resists wash out, is mineral based and suitable for bearings. Designed for marine use and farm machinery and its working temp is -30 degrees C to + 120 degrees C. And it is £8.25 for an 400g cartridge.

Gareth

Apr 20, 2024
Ayrshire
I think this is the grease that Performance Line Bearings recommended to me.

23 quid for 850g in a handy tub, so no need to buy a big cartridge grease gun.

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
I’m back out on my 2021 Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 ebike.
So it has the Gen 4 motor. Motor failed after 3600 miles.
Refurbished motor that I bought did 180 miles then failed.
Refurbished motor was repaired and it is now back in the bike.

At the moment we are having some dry weather (won't last long!) here on the west coast of Scotland, but it is still pretty wet off road.

Anyway, I intend to start cleaning and greasing the DE and NDE motor bearing seals.

As many of you will know, Bosch sell little tiny tubes of Bosch Long-Life Tacky Grease. In the UK these retail for a tenner. So considering this may be a frequently performed procedure, then 10 quid for 20g or whatever it is, well I need to find something else.

So I’m thinking of buying a cartridge of RAVENOL Marinefett grease.

RAVENOL Marine Grease - 400g Cartridge

“RAVENOL Marine Grease is a yellow-green, fluorescent, sea-water resistant lubrication grease with long-term adhesion properties. It is based on a special, calcium soap and a high-viscous synthetic base oil, as well as specifically selected active ingredients to protect against oxidation, rust and corrosion.”

I also noticed on checking out the very informative “Bosch Gen4 Seal Service and Grease up” thread a picture posted by Stihldog of the BOSCH GEN4 seal kit including a tube of the grease – the tube of grease in Stihldog’s photo has a sticker on it which reveals what the grease actually is – RENOLIT CA-LZS 2 M

So RENOLIT is a FUCHS brand. But I’m struggling to find that grease on sale to the public in the UK.

But I think my Ravenol is a good alternative, and apppears to be readily available. It has a matching specification number KP 2 K-30 So should be similar.

So wondering what you folks think. It is extremely water proof, resists wash out, is mineral based and suitable for bearings. Designed for marine use and farm machinery and its working temp is -30 degrees C to + 120 degrees C. And it is £8.25 for an 400g cartridge.
Do you have a particular youtube video that you recommend for demonstrating this task?

Gareth

Apr 20, 2024
Ayrshire
See the sticky thread titled Bosch Gen4 Seal Service and Grease up. There’s two videos featured in the thread, two variations on popping the seals off. It also has the photo with the details attached to the tube of Bosch Grease.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m not really sure of the specific properties of the Bosch bearing seal grease but I believe that it’s more resistant to water. The obvious location for water ingress into our motor is through or past the crank bearing.

Perhaps most types of water resistant grease would be helpful but I would be concerned with whether it’s compatible with the rubber seals that surround the crank shaft. The bearing-man might have some ideas on alternatives.

Regardless, servicing the bearing seals is helpful at least every year.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles