Battery range on 500wh not what I was hoping

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Range on 500 Wh is poor but I knew this as I took a few bikes out for Demo one with 500 Wh one with 700 Wh.

Got to be 700 Wh or it's not worth the hassle IMO.

I can ride further on my Hardtail on a not particularly ardous ride than what a 500 Wh can manage in the middle power setting.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
The answer was almost in the text: because I am much fitter on top of the hill. Going down the fast way needs a lot of power and concentration. With my ebike I can take more risk and/or go faster or do it a second time.
Very true

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Range on 500 Wh is poor but I knew this as I took a few bikes out for Demo one with 500 Wh one with 700 Wh.

Got to be 700 Wh or it's not worth the hassle IMO.

I can ride further on my Hardtail on a not particularly ardous ride than what a 500 Wh can manage in the middle power setting.
A lot of factors come in to the equation. lt all depends what you want out of an e-mtb, and also how deep your wallet is.
I have owned a 2019 Giant Trance e +1 Pro, from the time they hit the New Zealand market. As you are probably aware they have a 500 Wh battery. Run up 8,200 km to date.
That has served me well for over two years now, and I am more than competitive with younger aggressive riders when riding uphill on not too technical climbs.
I am 75 now, and approaching the twilight of my riding career, and have ordered a 2022 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp which comes with a 700 Wh battery. Not because my Giant is knackered, but because I will be able to travel further afield. My Giant has served me well, and is good for many years if it is maintained well.
I would prefer the latest Giant Trance with the larger battery, but delivery and after-sales in New Zealand is piss poor.
So, in summary, it is horses for courses. What suits you, may not suit everyone.
Cheers mate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles