Battery firmware update 2022

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
Charging to 100% without ridding for weeks/month is not so good for the battery health.
With the new feature it’s possible to stop the charging at 80% automatically.
Those that for example have the 700Wh Batterie und usually don‘t need all the juice, can then go with 80% or otherwise disable the limit in the app and charge to 100% the night before the ride.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
You will need to have the battery updated at some point.

If I understand correctly, this update helps battery longevity for those who do not deplete the charge and end up only partially recharging the battery.

Confirmed that *no* new firmware updates can be installed (not even motor or TCU) until I have the battery firmware flashed by the dealer. What a pain in the a**.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Confirmed that *no* new firmware updates can be installed (not even motor or TCU) until I have the battery firmware flashed by the dealer. What a pain in the a**.
Where is the button “I don’t like this post”? 😞

I am afraid I will be not getting updates then. I have no intention to bring the bike to shop for the update. And I don’t think I need this new feature.
So far I am managing the batteries proficiently by myself 🙂

Thanks for sharing @RickBullotta

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Where is the button “I don’t like this post”? 😞

I am afraid I will be not getting updates then. I have no intention to bring the bike to shop for the update. And I don’t think I need this new feature.
So far I am managing the batteries proficiently by myself 🙂

Thanks for sharing @RickBullotta

There used to be someone from Specialized on the forum, but doesn't seem so anymore.

frigo

Jul 6, 2022
czech republic
Turbo levo 2021 Performed battery update, can't connect to phone since. The bike is further serviced not knowing what could have happened. Anyone have a similar problem ?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Interesting update on my situation: I went to a shop today and got the battery firmware updated, and then went home to install the TCU and motor updates associated with the 80% battery feature. And guess what - they appear to have been removed from the list of available updates. Maybe they're buggy. And maybe I dodged a bullet by waiting!

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Interesting update on my situation: I went to a shop today and got the battery firmware updated, and then went home to install the TCU and motor updates associated with the 80% battery feature. And guess what - they appear to have been removed from the list of available updates. Maybe they're buggy. And maybe I dodged a bullet by waiting!
Maybe they installed them at the same time in the bike shop?

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
I will not update firmware as I said before.
And it's super sad (and a bit disappointing honestly) to have the application on the phone with a bunch of red exclamation marks... WTH!
Let alone I have a bug on the display (that I cannot update not doing first the battery update) not showing the delivered motor power in W when you use the micro tuning steps :D

Jack_

Apr 15, 2022
Silesia
I've asked my local dealer. 25$
I feel it's not quite fair when you pay extra price for Spesh brand you should get full support in price.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I've asked my local dealer. 25$
I feel it's not quite fair when you pay extra price for Spesh brand you should get full support in price.

I agree - it should be free, since it is the only update that cannot be done via the mobile app. I would contact Specialized and ask them to cover the cost.

Rick W

May 25, 2023
Los Angeles
I had the battery update done a month ago. Since then, every time I charge to 100%, the TCU shows flashing red (1st bar) and blue (5th bar) which indicates a battery error. The diagnostic in Mission Control says that a cell voltage is too high with some additional info and that it may be the battery or charger. As soon as I start riding, the TCU error goes away, shows full charge, and everything works fine until I charge it again.

My LBS loaned me a charger, but the same problem occurs with it. Now they want me to leave the bike at the shop. I never had this problem before the update.

Has anyone had something like this happen?

IMG_6700.png

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
It might be a good thing you updated the firmware. What if you actually have a faulty battery pack?

You've already proven it's not the charger.

It could be a bug in the firmware but why not have the battery replaced under warranty regardless.

Rick W

May 25, 2023
Los Angeles
It is possible that the new firmware is better at detecting battery faults. The bike is 2 1/2 years old so not covered under Specialized warranty but the shop I bought it from extends the warranty to 5 years. I’m bringing it in today.
It might be a good thing you updated the firmware. What if you actually have a faulty battery pack?

You've already proven it's not the charger.

It could be a bug in the firmware but why not have the battery replaced under warranty regardless.

Tigerruss

May 26, 2020
Oxon
I saw this update was avaialble (see pic)
IMG_5609.PNG
so booked into LBS. On dropping off dealer wanted to see versions being available so connected MC to bike and WTF, it only offered me to do the updates OTA. I clicked update and it failed the first time but tried again and it worked, updating battery first, then display. Bike switched off but after powering up again, check MC and all on latest versions. - Very happy. Maybe latest MC version now allows OTA update. If having issues, try closing app/bike a few times and you may get OTA update available.
Happy Days ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles