Battery charging/storage safety box

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Anyone found a good solution that doesn't cost $3000 (like the Dutch boxes)?
Old filing cabinet or decommissioned oven? I'm thinking an oven would be good - heat proof and accessible - add vents and a charging port... bada bom.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Hope it works out...

4005.jpg

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hope it works out...

4005.jpg
You will find most ebike battery fires are caused by cheap unregulated batteries and chargers
The big manufacturers have good fail safes built in and use quality components
also do you own a Phone , Laptop and many other consumer products running lithium ion batteries if so do you worry about putting them in a safe place to charge , they can all potentially burn on or off charge
I also take it your not the owner of an EV and check the car park you park in for one before leaving your own car in the carpark
My point is you cant worry about everything and if it concerns you that much maybe you should not have any batteries in your life .

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
I'm not sure most fires are due to 'cheap' batteries. Samsung phones batteries, Sony laptop batteries etc aren't exactly cheap by definition and they have been implicated in many fires. A neighbor of a friend in my town had their new Range Rover PHEV burn their house down recently.
My point is the risk may be low, but the consequences are huge... Safe battery handling and storage practices seem like a no brainer.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I'm not sure most fires are due to 'cheap' batteries. Samsung phones batteries, Sony laptop batteries etc aren't exactly cheap by definition and they have been implicated in many fires. A neighbor of a friend in my town had their new Range Rover PHEV burn their house down recently.
My point is the risk may be low, but the consequences are huge... Safe battery handling and storage practices seem like a no brainer.
You have just cemented what I said
My point is why just pick on the ebike battery are you going to put everything you own with a lithium ion battery in a charge box if not why worry about it .

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Range rovers have a habit of setting themselves on fire. There's a strong rumour it was one that set the Luton airport car park ablaze.
My traffic cop mate had a fancy BMW set itself on fire whilst idling with all its lights on.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
You have just cemented what I said
My point is why just pick on the ebike battery are you going to put everything you own with a lithium ion battery in a charge box if not why worry about it .
Risk reduction. Same reason people choose to wear FF helmets and googles, but not elbow pads.

You can reduce your exposure to small device fires by not charging them overnight, unplugging them after charging, using a fire-proof wallet, not charging next to curtains/bedding etc. And if you are lucky/unlucky enough to be around when your phone explodes, you can probably contain it. Ain't no containing an ebike battery fire.

RiderOnTheStorm

Safe battery handling and storage practices seem like a no brainer.
Definitely. Take a look at this other thread on the forum which touches on the topic extensively ;)

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Definitely. Take a look at this other thread on the forum which touches on the topic extensively ;)

Good discussion- storing a battery below 80% is not only better in terms cell degradation; it's also less risky in terms of cell malfunction. Do you have a charging/storage box?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
This is the first news story I've seen of a proper ebike catching fire whilst charging, as opposed to a cheap pos from china.
A Haibike with a Yamaha motor.
I've generally been pretty blasé about charging mine, in the lounge overnight on cheap rate electricity.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Step Number One was to buy a branded bike from a reputable supplier.
Step Number Two was not to dick about with faster chargers.
Step Number Three was not to dick about with spoofing the motor or software to get a faster assist speed.
After that I'm in the lap of the Gods. :unsure:

The only other thing I can do is to put my charger on a concrete floor as far away from anything else as the cables will allow. So that's the charger taken care of. The battery however, stays in the bike! If that goes off, not only will I lose the bike, but probably the garage as well. :eek:

I suppose I could put a smoke alarm in the garage, but I doubt I would hear it; too many closed doors, solid walls & floors between me and it.

All we need now is for our buildings & contents insurers to load the premiums if we have a e-bike on the premises!

RiderOnTheStorm

Do you have a charging/storage box?
For winter storage, I keep all my batteries in fireproof/lipo bags at room temperature and charged at 50%.

When charging, I'm never far away from the bike or battery so I can keep an eye on them. I preset a charging time based on % charge needed before a ride e.g. charging 2hr to reach 80% charge. I always unplug the charger when done and don't overcharge the battery.

I only use OEM chargers (2A or 4A) in a dry and well-ventilated/cool area at they tend to get hot. And only trust OEM quality batteries that I've purchased new.

So far so good! ;)

alancube

Sep 24, 2023
Essex
New to all this but have charged my my Bosch 750 battery and have not noticed it get warm at all? It's definitely charged as it will display 100% once fitted back on the bike.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
New to all this but have charged my my Bosch 750 battery and have not noticed it get warm at all? It's definitely charged as it will display 100% once fitted back on the bike.
They will get a little warm during charging (insulated by the covers so you don't really feel it). Fires happen when a cell goes into thermal runaway, which rapidly spread to neighbouring cells...

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Step Number One was to buy a branded bike from a reputable supplier.
Step Number Two was not to dick about with faster chargers.
Step Number Three was not to dick about with spoofing the motor or software to get a faster assist speed.
After that I'm in the lap of the Gods. :unsure:

The only other thing I can do is to put my charger on a concrete floor as far away from anything else as the cables will allow. So that's the charger taken care of. The battery however, stays in the bike! If that goes off, not only will I lose the bike, but probably the garage as well. :eek:

I suppose I could put a smoke alarm in the garage, but I doubt I would hear it; too many closed doors, solid walls & floors between me and it.

All we need now is for our buildings & contents insurers to load the premiums if we have a e-bike on the premises!
Shhhh…they don’t need any more excuses! 😀

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
This reminds me of the paranoia a good few years ago with CreeX2 bike lights.
1 catches fire because it was a cheap fake import and the story just kept rolling ......
The fact its thst hardly any of the 100s of 1000s of ebikes manufactured by recognised manufactures have ever caught fire.
Lots of home hacks and cheap Chinese imports have .
And if you go down that route more fool you.
Buy quality you'll never have to worry.

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I agree with the OP’s concerns. I have two 2022 Treks. One has a 500 watt battery and the other a 625.
I never charge them on the bike. They are charged and stored inside an old broken washing machine that insread of tossing it I use it as a metal battery box. A battery is fully charged after each ride. But during the freezing weather I draw them down to 60% for longer term storage.

I also installed an Intermatic 0-6 hours spring loaded wall timer that turns off the charger.

The plastic impeller inside the washer has been removed. As others have said IMO it’s the non UL approved Chinese crap bikes that catch on fire. Especially The ones that are used for food delivery all day and put away hot then stored in the hallways of apartment houses like in NYC. Or e-bikes that have been altered or chipped by the owners.

There are a lot of individual Lithium batteries in each of my Bosch Powertubes. The thought of just one shorting out is scary. These batteries burn so hot that it takes the fire dept a long time to put out and that is if they got to your house quick enough that your house is still standing 😱

These battery manufacturers should sell an optional fireproof box for a decent price as an optional accessory.

Last edited:

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
You will find most ebike battery fires are caused by cheap unregulated batteries and chargers
The big manufacturers have good fail safes built in and use quality components
also do you own a Phone , Laptop and many other consumer products running lithium ion batteries if so do you worry about putting them in a safe place to charge , they can all potentially burn on or off charge
I also take it your not the owner of an EV and check the car park you park in for one before leaving your own car in the carpark
My point is you cant worry about everything and if it concerns you that much maybe you should not have any batteries in your life .
Well, the first thing a person wanting to minimize the chance of a housefire would cut out of their house, if they were logical and based risk on statistics, is gasoline, gas mowers, weedeaters, gas cars parking in attached garages, etc.

All of those are more dangerous than high quality and reputable EVs and e-bikes. Just avoid the cheap junk from China. There is also good, high-quality li-ion tech and equipment available from China. Stick with reputable brands.

RiderOnTheStorm

While looking into this in another thread, the Fire Protection Research Foundation (affiliated to the NFPA) indicated that while accidents are generally rare, the battery remains a potential fire hazard if not treated with care.

They listed a number of causes for battery fires, including:
  • Manufacturing defects, design flaws, battery made with low quality components. Definitely on top of the list.
  • Improper use, like placing a battery near a heat source or leaving it in intense sunlight for an extended period of time, leading to the battery overheating.
  • Penetrating a battery in a way that causes a short circuit, like an accident with high impact causing damage to the battery.
  • Using chargers that are not appropriate for the battery.
Bottom line is that risk of fires should be extremely low if using quality batteries, proper chargers, and taking good care of your battery. ;)

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Front tyre still looks in decent nick. I could do with a new one as well, wonder if the owners selling?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles