Bafang m510

raggertje

Jan 24, 2023
The Netherlands
I run a custom 14S4P 52v battery with my M510 FC 2.0 with no issues. The only thing is that I want to drain my battery beyond 4.2v (only when I need the extra range ;) )
Now I'm thinking of making a 15S4P battery to get more range out of it. 15*4.2v=63v. Could the motor handle this without going into overvolt protection?
Anyone experience in this?

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
I run a custom 14S4P 52v battery with my M510 FC 2.0 with no issues. The only thing is that I want to drain my battery beyond 4.2v (only when I need the extra range ;) )
Now I'm thinking of making a 15S4P battery to get more range out of it. 15*4.2v=63v. Could the motor handle this without going into overvolt protection?
Anyone experience in this?
No, max 14S.

Jeromep

Mar 17, 2022
Florida
ok noted, will try it first.
Now I’m totally frustrated. I have an m510 with FC 1.0 controller. I am experiencing on/off when pedaling. Purchasing an FC 2.0 controller was recommended as the solution . This thread indicates it won’t be compatible with the Torque Sensor. So …. Is the FC 2.0 installation a solution OR NOT????

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Now I’m totally frustrated. I have an m510 with FC 1.0 controller. I am experiencing on/off when pedaling. Purchasing an FC 2.0 controller was recommended as the solution . This thread indicates it won’t be compatible with the Torque Sensor. So …. Is the FC 2.0 installation a solution OR NOT????
for my case power variations was comes from torque sensor (i done a thread on this subject), not from the controller. After replace it's working perfectly.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
And if somebody dont want to fight with passwords and python then try K1 Flash. With firmwares included and you can set any speed limit.

Anyway guys, if somebody wants one full set M510 FC2.0 - brand new, 600e

Tobrman

Sep 1, 2023
CZ
Ok
And if somebody dont want to fight with passwords and python then try K1 Flash. With firmwares included and you can set any speed limit.

Anyway guys, if somebody wants one full set M510 FC2.0 - brand new, 600e
Send link i will lok at that.
Howeever i have figured it out. I must note that their list of adresses added to host file is NOT COMPLETE!
If you open loginbypass.py there is list of domains you need to redirect to 127.0.0.1.
So just add 127.0.0.1 test.api.besst.bafang-service.com and now its complete.

Tobrman

Sep 1, 2023
CZ
Is possible to reprogram pedal assistence in Besst? I would like to change pedal counts for differents power levels. Also i have noticed in besst that my motor is in ECO mode. Is there way to change that? Maybe different fw? I have 36V M510

PitcairN

Aug 5, 2023
Slovakia
Is possible to reprogram pedal assistence in Besst? I would like to change pedal counts for differents power levels. Also i have noticed in besst that my motor is in ECO mode. Is there way to change that? Maybe different fw? I have 36V M510
Hi, not possible. You can only change wheel size, speed limit and wheel circumference, plus you can update components with different firmware if you have one ofc. What "eco" mode are you talking about? There is no such thing for these motors. This is probably setting only for BBS motors where you had the ability to switch between eco and sport mode, just ignore that.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
see the thread BESST tool PRO to see all parameters setable with besst pro (software usable with BESST tool interface)

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Theres is no such a difference in besst softwates (if you dont have 2y old soft). It depends on motor, if you connect latest m510 fc2.0 or M560 you would see also "cycling" parameters.
So you end up with this params: speed, circumference, wheel size, rpms, max current, acceleration and support level. And thats it. You wont set more on Bafang CAN motors.

Dont speculate on eco/sport - saw it on M620, and bafang started with 10 level PAS (5 eco, 5 sport). Dont know why. Other motors do not support sport or eco. And it goes still 3, 5 or 9 levels. With latest displays there is only 5 level mode and levels renamed to letters.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The default sump guard seems pretty flimsy, does anyone know of a third party aluminium one ??

1693897262566.png

Looks like wiggle/chain reaction will have replacements in stock and not stupidly priced : (£9.99)

Also interesting is that Chain Reaction now have various M510 Parts like top and bottom battery mounts, wiring loom, display,charger, speed sensor and even the nicer cranks are cheap !!

1693897395631.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So the battery reading on the C245 with the bafang battery and Vitus firmware is accurate and goes down to 0%.

Power was dropping off more noticeably / limited from about 8%.

Below 5% it limited to 320w. The last 5% was disproportional and went in 1km.

Was playing last night/this morning with bosch/brose/m510 comparisons :

Screenshot 2023-09-06 10.34.01.png

Brose is a 1.3, so no voltage compensation and 840w peak power.
Bosch Gen 4 none smart - unknown peak power.
M510 FC2.0 - about 720w peak power.

Eco mode - the Brose is the strongest by default, then the M510 then the Bosch. I normally have my Brose one turned down from default.

All three feel punchy with a good power spread. The Brose is the quietest - almost silent in my case, but they vary and mine squeals when it's having a bad day (which it's done from new).

M510 was 100% charge the other two were at 80% charge. (The Bafang battery continues to increase in capacity with each charge).

EMTB mode on the Bosch still feels like the nicest all round mode for me, but then I've spent a lot of time using it and it's second nature knowing how it will react.

Climbing in Trail (Brose) T (M510) EMTB (Bosch) really depended on the hill. It wasn't as clear cut as I'd expected.

They all pull you in really strongly with the Brose and M510 performing similarly on a couple of climbs (Steeper) where the Bosch needed me to shift down one cog part way up as it was dropping out of the power.

On a different (faster) slope the Bosch pulled faster/harder than the other two with speed at the top being about 2km/h faster than the Brose and about 4km/h faster than the M510. The M510 felt like it started throttling back assistance part way up the climb. Need to test this further as I think it might be cadence related.

In Turbo (Brose) B (M510) and Turbo (Bosch) , the Brose pulled slightly harder and was faster than the other two. The M510 and the Bosch both pulled fairly similarly on the steeper climbs (though the E-mythique is easier to climb on than the Jam2 and I didn't use the Jam2's Switchgrade). On the faster climb, the Bosch wasn't any faster in Turbo than it had been in EMTB as EMTB had pretty much given full power when it was needed. The M510 was faster than trail, but still felt like it started throttling back part way through the climb.

So after that I went out and did some further testing on the M510. This is probably a known thing already and just me being unaware :

At 70% battery I was seeing peaks of 650-654w in "T" at medium to high cadence - which is pretty impressive and would mean it could be close to peaking similarly to EMTB mode in the right conditions.

When you hit a cadence of 122/123 (difficult to say exactly as the cadence display seems to have a tiny delay), call it 120 ! It completely cuts assistance.

Had to keep trying this and switching between watts and cadence to make sure it wasn't me imagining things !!

You only really get this on a climb where you're accelerating. The throttling I was feeling was the motor hitting that point, me not maintaining the cadence and dropping back into assistance, which just felt like a sudden drop in power but not a complete stop. It's a bit like an engine hitting the rev limiter.

It's not easy (as the assistance stops) but if you keep your cadence up when accelerating up hill, assistance drops to zero and stays there with the motor kicking back in when the cadence drops again.

The other anomaly today was the motor stopped assisting on a really really bumpy bit. The display stayed active so in theory not a battery issue. 10 seconds later it kicked back in again. If I had to guess it would be that the speed sensor got a false reading as it's spoke mounted and could have been "jiggling" around.

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
So the battery reading on the C245 with the bafang battery and Vitus firmware is accurate and goes down to 0%.

Power was dropping off more noticeably / limited from about 8%.

Below 5% it limited to 320w. The last 5% was disproportional and went in 1km.

Was playing last night/this morning with bosch/brose/m510 comparisons :

View attachment 124213

Brose is a 1.3, so no voltage compensation and 840w peak power.
Bosch Gen 4 none smart - unknown peak power.
M510 FC2.0 - about 720w peak power.

Eco mode - the Brose is the strongest by default, then the M510 then the Bosch. I normally have my Brose one turned down from default.

All three feel punchy with a good power spread. The Brose is the quietest - almost silent in my case, but they vary and mine squeals when it's having a bad day (which it's done from new).

M510 was 100% charge the other two were at 80% charge. (The Bafang battery continues to increase in capacity with each charge).

EMTB mode on the Bosch still feels like the nicest all round mode for me, but then I've spent a lot of time using it and it's second nature knowing how it will react.

Climbing in Trail (Brose) T (M510) EMTB (Bosch) really depended on the hill. It wasn't as clear cut as I'd expected.

They all pull you in really strongly with the Brose and M510 performing similarly on a couple of climbs (Steeper) where the Bosch needed me to shift down one cog part way up as it was dropping out of the power.

On a different (faster) slope the Bosch pulled faster/harder than the other two with speed at the top being about 2km/h faster than the Brose and about 4km/h faster than the M510. The M510 felt like it started throttling back assistance part way up the climb. Need to test this further as I think it might be cadence related.

In Turbo (Brose) B (M510) and Turbo (Bosch) , the Brose pulled slightly harder and was faster than the other two. The M510 and the Bosch both pulled fairly similarly on the steeper climbs (though the E-mythique is easier to climb on than the Jam2 and I didn't use the Jam2's Switchgrade). On the faster climb, the Bosch wasn't any faster in Turbo than it had been in EMTB as EMTB had pretty much given full power when it was needed. The M510 was faster than trail, but still felt like it started throttling back part way through the climb.

So after that I went out and did some further testing on the M510. This is probably a known thing already and just me being unaware :

At 70% battery I was seeing peaks of 650-654w in "T" at medium to high cadence - which is pretty impressive and would mean it could be close to peaking similarly to EMTB mode in the right conditions.

When you hit a cadence of 122/123 (difficult to say exactly as the cadence display seems to have a tiny delay), call it 120 ! It completely cuts assistance.

Had to keep trying this and switching between watts and cadence to make sure it wasn't me imagining things !!

You only really get this on a climb where you're accelerating. The throttling I was feeling was the motor hitting that point, me not maintaining the cadence and dropping back into assistance, which just felt like a sudden drop in power but not a complete stop. It's a bit like an engine hitting the rev limiter.

It's not easy (as the assistance stops) but if you keep your cadence up when accelerating up hill, assistance drops to zero and stays there with the motor kicking back in when the cadence drops again.

The other anomaly today was the motor stopped assisting on a really really bumpy bit. The display stayed active so in theory not a battery issue. 10 seconds later it kicked back in again. If I had to guess it would be that the speed sensor got a false reading as it's spoke mounted and could have been "jiggling" around.
Is the Vitus firmware better than regular Bafang ones?

Last edited:

Jeromep

Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Is it just me, or are other forum members frustrated with the “overall Bafang M510 experience”. I did a custom built last year and the only source of information was this forum. Basically I was getting input from other “pioneers” who, like me, were figuring it out by step by step - by trial and error. So I have been very appreciative of that.

But I have to say, dealing with the “supply chain” ( AliExpress & alibaba suppliers ) has been underwhelming. And Bafang itself has some of the weakest aftermarket support (both in services and product documentation) I have ever seen from an established manufacturer. Now I am in the US - this may not be the same in Europe, etc.

I know I sound like a whiner, and I don’t want to “be that guy”, but am I missing something? How do you feel about it?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is it just me, or are other forum members frustrated with the “overall Bafang M510 experience”. I did a custom built last year and the only source of information was this forum. Basically I was getting input from other “pioneers” who, like me, were figuring it out by step by step - by trial and error. So I have been very appreciative of that.

But I have to say, dealing with the “supply chain” ( AliExpress & alibaba suppliers ) has been underwhelming. And Bafang itself has some of the weakest aftermarket support (both in services and product documentation) I have ever seen from an established manufacturer. Now I am in the US - this may not be the same in Europe, etc.

I know I sound like a whiner, and I don’t want to “be that guy”, but am I missing something? How do you feel about it?
For me ... it's early days.

From the perspective of the actual motor, how it feels, performance I'm really impressed with it.

I also went the unusual route and purchased a bike with the motor installed (Vitus E-Mythique) so didn't go through the experiences or ordering which most people have.

Documentation seems to vary between excellent and none existent (can't find anything on my battery).

If/when I have issues ..... I might feel very differently !!

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Finally, they woke up and hardcoded power limitation from 10% (why not selectable in BESST is a question). Anyway cut off voltage is still high, so lot of energy staying still in battery.

Zimmer try to get your firmware file from seller. Made up something you accidentally re-flash to original Bafang firm when u was playing with BESST. ;))

Karamba, latest original is v8.1 for 36V. Zimmer has a custom firmware compiled for Vitus.
You can flash your motor, set parameters or calibrate over K1 Flash. Firmwares included on SD card.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava

Not only you , mate. ;) I have spend hundreads of hours with investigation and testing firmwares. Then new firmware (or even worse new controller show up in a silence - then older firmwares are lost) and again bugs which I thought we are finally over. But no, seems to me Bafang release new firmware or controller and they dont even test it on the road. :(

Latest finding - Bafang can not even measure voltage accuratelly, M600 is showing me over 1V less. How hard is to measure voltage with tollerance +- 0.1V ???

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
Finally, they woke up and hardcoded power limitation from 10% (why not selectable in BESST is a question). Anyway cut off voltage is still high, so lot of energy staying still in battery.

Zimmer try to get your firmware file from seller. Made up something you accidentally re-flash to original Bafang firm when u was playing with BESST. ;))

Karamba, latest original is v8.1 for 36V. Zimmer has a custom firmware compiled for Vitus.
You can flash your motor, set parameters or calibrate over K1 Flash. Firmwares included on SD card.
Thanks for the reply Dado.
Is the 10.1 the lastest for 48V? I want to know if it´s worthy upgrading from the 6.1 that I´m currently on.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks Zimmerframe. After asking I realized that´s a vitus firmware version. I guess that´s not publicly available. Are the weak walking assistance and sudden stops present in the Vitus version?
So far !!!! I'd say it's the best walk assist I have (except for faffing into walk mode and not just pressing walk like on the Specialized) Starts slightly slow, speeds up, stays consistent - doesn't stop randomly like the Bosch on the Focus.

PitcairN

Aug 5, 2023
Slovakia

I would say that M510 is pretty damn good motor for its price. I'm really happy with it so far, only downside for me is the noise, it is kinda too loud, but not annoying though. What about supply chain, well i think there are many spare parts and accessories listed online in various place like aliexpress and such, also you can modify the s**t out of that motors in general (hardware and software wise), try that with other brands for example.

Jeromep

Mar 17, 2022
Florida
I don’t actually dislike the motor. But i am interested in making some modifications to fix a couple of issues. You have had success with modifications? What did you do and how did you go about doing it? Also is your bike a custom build?

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
So far !!!! I'd say it's the best walk assist I have (except for faffing into walk mode and not just pressing walk like on the Specialized) for me the better walk mode is with the throttle, i limit mechanicaly the range to have max 4 km/h. of course more better if we could adjust the range by software, but as it's not possible, i prefer that than all other walk mode on the marketfor me the better walk mode is with the throttle, i limit mechanicaly the range to have max 4 km/h. of course better if we can adjust the range by software, but as it's not possible, i prefer that than all other walk mode on the market. As it's seem that throttle don't functioning to the M810, i will add switch for walk mode. Needs to keep finger on an button to use an walk mode is painfull and unefficient

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles