Bafang m510

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
And? How was it? 😊

M510 with firmware 8.1 finally works - after a year of start selling of this motor! Can be set max power, also acceleration is working. Now I dont see any difference in startup angle. Heres calculated range with 14% max power on pass 1 (max 120W which is finally reasonable). Anyway it is a bullshit, as I dont know where to set battery capacity. You can see some aditional parameters (including battery capacity) in latest BESST, but can not be changed.

And the default Bafang settings of max power: 50%, 75%, 100%, 100%, 100% - I dont understand what that engineers and testers are doing there.

IMG20230215181737.jpg

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
just like previous firmware but quicker engine stop delay after stop pedalling. better.

I find it still long. :(( I dont get it, old motors did not have this issue...

If is helping longer then it should, you have problems on technical trails. Plus I notice - some times, I am braking also motor.

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
I find it still long. :(( I dont get it, old motors did not have this issue...

If is helping longer then it should, you have problems on technical trails. Plus I notice - some times, I am braking also motor.
maybe we have different volt motor. mine 48v, yours 36v. I feel so good on mine.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
maybe we have different volt motor. mine 48v, yours 36v. I feel so good on mine.

Would be good also add a settings for stopp assist delay...
Anyway Bosch came up with "racing" version of motor and here is longer delay on stop pedalling by purpose!

When I had a firmware, where was like 1sec of delay, that was allready non ridable on technical trails.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Shaft is different and I also see from your picture locking mechanism is different. Electronics would be the same.

Caio

Apr 24, 2021
Sao Paulo Brazil
I used this firmware

CRX10NC4813i142015.8-28-2230-20210805.bin​

You can download it from GitHub

I remember the firmware was very powerful and battery attenuation only below 20% SoC.
Hi thaeber, i just swapped my M500 for the M510 :)rolleyes:), i was able to derestric using programing cable, like i did on my original M500, just awesome... , cable is cheap and simple to use, i´ve updated speed limit to 60km/h and change now and then between 29er or 27.5 ,,,,,, yes i have 2 back wheels, 29er for XC and 27.5 for the bike park, MX wheel setup is awesome on E10 but not so confortable when riding long hours like 29er.

So big question mark is really about the power delivery when comparing to the older version, How does this firmware performs in relation to ON/OFF situation when the motor engages to the pressure applied to the pedals? M500 feels much better when comparing to the M510, much more subtle and smooth. I have FC 0.1 original firmware on my M510, i was hoping that maybe flashing a newer firmware would solve that, maybe? Did you change the wheel magnet?

Your thoughts and advice have worked great for me in the past, so i would like to hear from you again on that.
Thanks!!

Caio

Ebike-cabo-de-programa-o-usb-para-bafang-m600-m510-pode-protocolo-motor-dedicado-cabos-de.jpeg...jpg Ebike-cabo-de-programa-o-usb-para-bafang-m600-m510-pode-protocolo-motor-dedicado-cabos-de.jpeg...jpg

Last edited:

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Hi thaeber, i just swapped my M500 for the M510 :)rolleyes:), i was able to derestric using programing cable, like i did on my original M500, just awesome... , cable is cheap and simple to use, i´ve updated speed limit to 60km/h and change now and then between 29er or 27.5 ,,,,,, yes i have 2 back wheels, 29er for XC and 27.5 for the bike park, MX wheel setup is awesome on E10 but not so confortable when riding long hours like 29er.

So big question mark is really about the power delivery when comparing to the older version, How does this firmware performs in relation to ON/OFF situation when the motor engages to the pressure applied to the pedals? M500 feels much better when comparing to the M510, much more subtle and smooth. I have FC 0.1 original firmware on my M510, i was hoping that maybe flashing a newer firmware would solve that, maybe? Did you change the wheel magnet?

Your thoughts and advice have worked great for me in the past, so i would like to hear from you again on that.
Thanks!!

Caio

View attachment 107719 View attachment 107720
I still use the firmware above and I’m happy with it. After power on wait 30 s with no load on the pedals. Then Your good to go and have fun! 😊

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Guys, just installed brand new M510 FC1.0 and staright on first ride power losses, shut downs - error 11 and 30. Getting frustrated from Bafang, it should not be with brand new motor. :( Anybody has similar experience and what have u done?

Look what statistics I found in BESST - 44% fault rate motor, controller or sensor!
1677683778685.png

mikenet

Sep 12, 2022
roma
hi, I bought the besst tool and I wanted to update the firmware of my M510, I currently have the CRX10NC4814i101003.1 , which one do you recommend to install, I too noticed the on/off in some situations that I haven't managed to rationalize yet. Also using the old besst 1.2.26 I managed to increase the maximum speed and the size of the wheels but I can't get information on the battery and on the display (currently I have mounted the EB02display 43.06£ |Bafang Mid Motor EB02 Display Bluetooth LCD Computer chiamata promemoria mappa navigazione BBS0102 G340 M510 M600 G510 M620| | - AliExpress

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
hi, I bought the besst tool and I wanted to update the firmware of my M510, I currently have the CRX10NC4814i101003.1 , which one do you recommend to install, I too noticed the on/off in some situations that I haven't managed to rationalize yet. Also using the old besst 1.2.26 I managed to increase the maximum speed and the size of the wheels but I can't get information on the battery and on the display (currently I have mounted the EB02display 43.06£ |Bafang Mid Motor EB02 Display Bluetooth LCD Computer chiamata promemoria mappa navigazione BBS0102 G340 M510 M600 G510 M620| | - AliExpress
I think it's normal you don't get info on battery and display. The battery doesn't have CAN comms and the display is not from Bafang but works with UART. I think Best tool only recognises Bafang components.

Caio

Apr 24, 2021
Sao Paulo Brazil
Hello,

I did manage to change the speed limit for my M510 motor from original 25km/h (Factory) to 60km/h, I’m able to ride to about 50km/h on the bike path – flat with knobby tires, like a dream, riding with road bike peloton without any trouble (funny how it can make people mad,,,hahaha), however after 1.5 hour the motor overheats, shutting down, until proper cool down to start again, on the tropics, Baking sun heat of 35o Celsius.

Did you guys have similar situation on that this motor shuts down due to overheating?

Question is if this can cause any damage to the motor controller or any other part of the motor?

So far it´s working great, it only happened couple times in all the 2,000 km´s of use, in this case pushing hard to keep up with the peloton, demanding a lot of power from the motor.

I´d like to know if so, what parts should I buy in case of a burnout of the motor occurs.

Can I even source parts for M510? I haven´t seen anywhere selling?!

Thanks

Caio

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello Caio.

Yes, same experience, overheating - Error 11. Just I am surprised you getting it after 1.5h.

Wont do damage, there is temperature sensor, which shut it down. But already saw a firmware which had wrongly setup limit temp and I got even to 120 C. If on outside cover over 80C that is problem.

Last edited:

Caio

Apr 24, 2021
Sao Paulo Brazil
Hello Caio.

Yes, same experience, overheating - Error 11. Just I am surprised you getting it after 1.5h.

Wont do damage, there is temperature sensor, which shut it down. But already saw a firmware which had wrongly setup limit temp and I got even to 120 C. If on outside over 80C that is problem.
Thanks Dado for your input!! valuable info.

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
Guys, what is the mechanism inside the motor that lets the cranks rotate backwards without resistance? Does it look like in a rear hub? Could it make a knocking noise when going downhill?

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
It‘s called a sprag bearing / clutch, operating like the rear hub freewheel, but different technical solution. I doubt that this may cause a „knocking“ noise.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Quick review of my first round with new M510 V2 today. I‘m really happily surprised, looks like Bafang finally can compete with the big brands in regards of motor behavior. No cutouts, and a very natural feeling, translating Your pedal input into power assist. They renamed the 5 modes to Eco / Trail / Sport / Sport+ / Boost. I used Sport and Sport + today mostly, and even at really steep climbs You get enough assist in Sport mode if You increase pedal force. I like it. Noise level unchanged. I think they changed the torque sensor, the Calories counter is back on my new DP C245 display. The handlebar controll unit is nice and slim. Overall, I‘m happy!

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Quick review of my first round with new M510 V2 today. I‘m really happily surprised, looks like Bafang finally can compete with the big brands in regards of motor behavior. No cutouts, and a very natural feeling, translating Your pedal input into power assist. They renamed the 5 modes to Eco / Trail / Sport / Sport+ / Boost. I used Sport and Sport + today mostly, and even at really steep climbs You get enough assist in Sport mode if You increase pedal force. I like it. Noise level unchanged. I think they changed the torque sensor, the Calories counter is back on my new DP C245 display. The handlebar controll unit is nice and slim. Overall, I‘m happy!
Always said that this is the best M series so far I ever had :)

Caio

Apr 24, 2021
Sao Paulo Brazil
Thats the reason I ordered @ Chili Shen! Great Motor! Did You try low battery levels? Is there power decrease below 20 /10 % SoC? I run down to 32% today, no power reduction so far…
Can you share the contact for this seller, alibaba? I can only source M510 V1 on AliExpress. Shady sellers there unfortunately,

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles