Bafang M500 - BESST and limits

BootsDave

Feb 5, 2021
Aveyron, France
Did a quick test of the 12A firmware today. It’s definitely not as powerful as 13A on some climbs that I do regularly. I’d say it has a bit more power near the 25km limit, but only on gentle climbs. I think it uses more battery, I did 13km with 250m of climb and it used 25% of the battery.
One other thing I’ve noticed, only the 13A will display speeds over 70km/hr. I have a steep hill nearby and I can just get above 70km/hr at the bottom!
I’ve just changed back to the 13A firmware!!!

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
But 13A Firmware still needs more human torque to provide more powerful than 12A especially on the other levels 1,2,3 and 4!
So the same problem still exists in my opinion.

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
13A Level 5 is a little confusing!!
On my bike screen (Bafang DP-C18) I see that the power is up to 750 watts, but I don't feel the support is stronger than what I'm getting from the 12A firmware.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
I think it is necessary to know the couple management parameters, @Kyokushin could you ask your contacts in bafang for this information?
Or if they can indicate to us how we can read them directly from the engine.
I have asked and provided feedback and 13A with an ask for adjust but have still no answer.

Laudix

May 15, 2021
Paderno Dugnano (Italy)
news from EuroBike...
1630502837733.png

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Anyone have firmware from this M500 v2?
I am curious also what controller name is reported and firmware name.

Seqlat

Apr 18, 2021
PL/DE
Anyone have firmware from this M500 v2?
I am curious also what controller name is reported and firmware name.
I suspect that it will not come before 2022, but I would like to know because there are no other articles or reports about Bafang on Eurobike.
@Laudix @Rob Rides EMTB maybe you know more about this?
18% lighter and 20% stronger
0.6 kg lighter than the M500 and 1.17 kg lighter than the M600
When it comes to power, we will see because 95nm at 250w should do the trick, and we all know how power is in m500 ... Maybe + 20% power is with some firmware that is here on the forum compared to the first bafang firmware

Last edited:

Laudix

May 15, 2021
Paderno Dugnano (Italy)
I suspect that it will not come before 2022, but I would like to know because there are no other articles or reports about Bafang on Eurobike.
When it comes to power, we will see because 95nm at 250w should do the trick, and we all know how power is in m500 ... Maybe + 20% power is with some firmware that is here on the forum compared to the first bafang firmware
Compared to the last generation, the M510 provides:
  • the maximum torque remains 95Nm
  • weight is reduced by 18%
  • the maximum power has increased by 20% (should correspond to about 14.5 Ampere for the 48v)
  • Maximum cadence support is extended up to 120 rpm
Thanks to the intelligent control system, you are guaranteed:
  • an engine smooth start
  • a powerful acceleration
  • a maximum continuous power of over 15 minutes for hard-core climbing.
Claudio Piovan, Admin of "Bafang Club Italia" (FB) is at the fair, we await new information and tests.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
  • the maximum power has increased by 20% (should correspond to about 14.5 Ampere for the 48v)

The default amperage with M500 comes is 10A, so if we take it as reference it will be 12A rather than 14.5A.
I am very curious of firmware for M510 and controller differences.

Laudix

May 15, 2021
Paderno Dugnano (Italy)

E-erm

Sep 14, 2021
Italy
Hello everyone, actually what is the last update controller firmware for M500? On my bike happens the assistance is too lower when battery is at 30%.
thank you

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Hello everyone, actually what is the last update controller firmware for M500? On my bike happens the assistance is too lower when battery is at 30%.
thank you
here is all you need with latest avaiable known publicly files

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
My CHEEB V2 will have it - looking forward to trying it out. Maybe it’ll match, or be stronger than then Bosch Gen 4!

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
thank you! this is the correct file for 48v?

yes, it have optimised battery attenuation (whatever it means) but it may be what are you looking for. I have done on this firmware over 1000km and works like a charm (in comparison to stock i got with the bike).

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
"yes, it have optimised battery attenuation " it is not an official bafang upgrade ?

i have tried it (13A) last week. I find it a little more powerfull than 10A but not a lot, i feel the difference when i switch up mode (set in 3 mode). But it is not another world, lot of less funny than M600. That is disturb me is that i need to applied most physical effort than M600 for low (for not saied no) gain in consumtion ? in addition the "ERR21" reappair again when i use throttle to walk mode, while I hardly had it anymore with the M600. thank you Kyokushin for your work, but for me it is far than perfect motor, that could be the M600 with 1st mode +- = at the 1/3 of the M500

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
"yes, it have optimised battery attenuation " it is not an official bafang upgrade ?

i have tried it (13A) last week. I find it a little more powerfull than 10A but not a lot, i feel the difference when i switch up mode (set in 3 mode). But it is not another world, lot of less funny than M600. That is disturb me is that i need to applied most physical effort than M600 for low (for not saied no) gain in consumtion ? in addition the "ERR21" reappair again when i use throttle to walk mode, while I hardly had it anymore with the M600. thank you Kyokushin for your work, but for me it is far than perfect motor, that could be the M600 with 1st mode +- = at the 1/3 of the M500

Its official i received from Bafang when i asked for better battery attenuation and peak power matching 36V firmware.
I had no errors during usage, throttle working also fine. Its surely weaker than M600 - around 30% when we relate it to peak power.
About the the physical effort - its set in different levels than M600, these engines are different so level 1 on M500 will be weaker than on M600.
I have also noticed if you want to all avaiable assist then you need to push pedal slightly stronger once. And then engine will give you all avaiable power and next pedal push on second leg could be much lighter if you keep the cadency.
Its like reduction of gear in automatic transmision - you need to learn and feel when algorithm in engine give max power then you will be able to trigger this on demand without effort.

Agree its not perfect, but much better than 10A stock and its best what we have so far.

The peak power for 48V:
M500 on stock 10A firmware - 546W
M500 on 13A Bafang firmware - 710W
M600 on 18A stock firmware - 982W
(calculated by full charge 54.6V * amperage)

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
"And then engine will give you all avaiable power and next pedal push on second leg could be much lighter if you keep the cadency. "
More or less something like that. For the same mode, the motor start differently (the powerfull increase more quickly sometime). constated but i have not identified the raison

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
About throttle, i think that the mistake is generated by the power increase, lot of longer on M500 than M600. That cause error when you use the throttle only on walk mode (+- 6 km/h max),

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
About throttle, i think that the mistake is generated by the power increase, lot of longer on M500 than M600. That cause error when you use the throttle only on walk mode (+- 6 km/h max),
Hmm, could you tell more a bit of it? I am using the walk mode from this 3 button panel and pushing power button to activate walk mode.
Is throttle limited to 6km/h when you enter the 'walk icon' by - button on panel?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I don't use the walk mode push button, i use the throtlle to uphill beside the bike, i can adjust power (mecanically limited to 6 km/h max) follwing the necessity. It the mostly raison why i have replaced my canyon spectral on by the bafang, the walk mode on/off of the E8000 is unuseablel in moutain

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
by positioning of throttle / brake fixation collar. I positioning it to throttle max range 6 km/h on the biggest rear pinion (throttle stroke limited by brake fixation collar) . i will post a pics after work

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
Question about battery connections!!
The ebike has a Bafag M300 Mid-motor.
I want to change my battery to another one that has more capacity. But the batteries that i found in the market have only two cabels (red and black) to connect the power. While my old battery has 4 extra cables in the middle (see photo).
Are they to turn on/off the back and front lights?
20211026_214143.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles