Bafang M500 - BESST and limits

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
This firmware must get the 48V M500 much closer to the Bosch?
Should be at least. Bosch have still smaller Nm.

36V 17A is also less, but peaking at 750W?
That is correct. Users noticed on displays up to 750W (we're not sure its 720W or 750W for 36V because the display of tester have no value but lines and range. Mine for 48V have values and i have readed numbers over 700W).

ornias

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
First off: The voltage of a full 48v battery pack is not 48v but closer to 56v... which happens to be quite close to the 720W measured by @Kyokushin :)

That being said:
@Kyokushin is right: EU legallity is a hardware thing that is, in general, not something that can be changed just by modifying the firmware.

I can confirm with a board analist that there are no problems for the m500 to do 1KW peak and m600 to do 2KW Peak.

About the Modifications by LunaCycles: It's a shuntmod, thats it. They "trick" the controller into thinking it's using less Amps than it actually is. Thats less than a dollar in parts to do yourself and the soldering required is actually not that hard.

Anyhow: Both the motor and the board have temperature sensors and safetly limits. Even when putting 1KW through the M500 or 2KW through the m600, it shouldn't magically emit smoke.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
My battery is charging only to 53.2V btw (i have raised another topic about this, but i will get second battery soon - need more range for longer trips).

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
May i ask how you were able to change the firmware? Can we do the same with our bafang m500 to get more power output?
Hello, its firmware i have received from Bafang, just new and more powerful version.
you need besst tool to upload new version to the controller.

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Hello, its firmware i have received from Bafang, just new and more powerful version.
you need besst tool to upload new version to the controller.
Can you tell me if i can purchase the Besst tool (and where) and if i can use it then without any password to upgrade the new version you mentioned?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Can you tell me if i can purchase the Besst tool (and where) and if i can use it then without any password to upgrade the new version you mentioned?

there is few options to buy for ex Luna, and i saw in europe when i googled.
In theory you need a password but in practice there is known workaround (pretty easy to set up).

there is also option by bluetooth and Bafang GO, but at now its not working and you need display with bluetooth, so for today besst is only option.

Last edited:

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
In theory you need a password but in practice is there is known workaround (pretty easy to set up).

there is also option by bluetooth and Bafang GO, but at now its not working and you need display with bluetooth, so for today besst is only option.
So if i buy a Besst tool where can i find the firmware you mentioned? And what exactly is changing with the new firmware?

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
In theory you need a password but in practice is there is known workaround (pretty easy to set up).

Is this the right one? Buy Bafang BESST UC 3.0 Diagnosis Tool - Black at HBS

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Here are attached files:

Here is manual for configuration:
and here latest script:

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Here are attached files:

Here is manual for configuration:
and here latest script:
Thanks for all the info! Will this latest 48V firmware also solve the problem with the derating behaviour (limited power below 35 % Battery / 41/42V)?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Thanks for all the info! Will this latest 48V firmware also solve the problem with the derating behaviour (limited power below 35 % Battery / 41/42V)?

I have info the firmware have "optimize the battery attenuation" so it need to be tested by us. Longer trip is needed :)

BootsDave

Feb 5, 2021
Aveyron, France
I still haven't got the BESST tool yet. I don't have a PC so it's a bit more of a challenge. I have been testing the Bafang Go app, and it appears to check for firmware updates online. It also has a Local option, but I don't know where it's looking for the files.
IMG_2288.png

Any ideas? I've tried putting a USB memory stick into the display.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Its not working both on iOS and Android.

on iOS you cannot pick a file. Android is one step forward - you can pick local file but there is no button to flash :)

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
Hello
Are custom firmwares safe and what is the best for Bafang M500 48V system?
And is a 14 Ah battery able to withstand a current draw higher than 13 amps?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Custom are never safe, but these ones attached last by me are not custom. They are official provided by a Bafang. There is 13A for 48V M500 and it works like a charm.
Battery does not matter here as far i know.

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
I am waiting for my Besst Tool and can't wait to upgrade and test the new firmware for my m500 ☺. Yesterday i made a nighride with steep uphills and sometimes I wished to have some more power to be able to ride together with friends on bosch or brose ebikes. I would like to thank @Kyokushin for his great support and time to explain in detail how to use Besst tool without the password and login (specially because i asked directly to bafang already weeks ago without any response yet ?).

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I am waiting for my Besst Tool and can't wait to upgrade and test the new firmware for my m500 ☺. Yesterday i made a nighride with steep uphills and sometimes I wished to have some more power to be able to ride together with friends on bosch or brose ebikes.
I ride with guys with both the latest Bosch motor and an early 2019 Brose motor and the M600 seems more powerful than both, but like for like testing is almost impossible to say definitively yeah or nay as body weight, riding styles, gearing, fitness and power of the rider, even tyres fitted can make such a difference. On my TSDZ2 engine limited to 700W’s the Brose and Bosch seemed more powerful, so I sort of agree that 800W’s - 850W’s is the benchmark to aim for on the M500’s to be in the Euro motor mix.

But other than rapid Rob blasts on open ish ground I’m not sure where I could use 800W’s continuously as most of my riding is single track that’s limited more by speed and steepness than power. Using the M600 at full power on the long climb on open fields ( it’s about 80m vertical ) near my house I was still at 33kph at the top, sort of good fun doing it on the way home from the pub, but would I say it was necessary to have that power, probably not as there’s been many a night coming home from the pub where even walking speed is too fast, but on steep single track I use more like 400W’s and very high gears.

That then raises the question which motor when you consider there’s only about 1/2 kilo difference in weight between the two and that’s less than the 2 Pints of beer I drank at the pub. Equally a 52 volt battery setup on a standard 48volt M500 has got to be in the ballpark?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles