AXS Reverb - not going down!

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
A couple of months ago, my dropper post would only go down an inch or two, and then was met with resistance.
I looked on google, and watched a video on how to bleed it.
I used the tool that came with it, and followed the steps - all good again.
A few rides later, the same issue. I followed the same steps, and all good again.
Again... a few rides later, I have the same issue.

I’ve had the post for about 9 months now, and the first 7 months were trouble free. What’s causing the issue?
I noticed I have a scratch on the post, however it just feels like a scrape in the paint.

Does it just need serviced, if so - is this something I can do myself?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Probably just needs a service, as if you have been riding it though the British winter it will have got crap under the seal.

My Fox transfer is a bugger for this, action goes to shit after a few months of winter riding, whereas my cheap and cheerful Brand X seems to weather the winter far better, both are very easy to clear out by unscrewing the collar, which isn't a full service but helps.

No idea on how easy it is to service the AXS, I used to get my local suspension guy to do my older reverb for about 50 quid IIRC as the hydraulics where a PITA to get in and out of the bike an I am lazy!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 11.38.38.png

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I found someone on eBay selling the Reverb service kits for £30, so I contacted them to ask if they’d be suitable for the AXS.

The answer was no, but he could get an AXS 200hr service kit for £45. He asked if I had any issues, and then advised that it sounded like I needed the full service kit (£77), or he could carry out the work for £90.

I think I’d be lucky if I’ve done much more than 50hrs (definitely nothing like 200) since getting the Reverb. When I advised him of this, he suggested I return it to where I purchased it from for a warranty claim.

Im happy to buy a service kit and fit it... but not so sure about £90 on something that’s 9 months old with a 2 year warranty.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Update on this one...

Returned the dropper to Tredz a couple of weeks ago for a warranty claim.
They’ve been very good with updates, and have called every week.

The dropper was sent back to Rockshox. The update today is that it’s unrepairable, and will be replaced under warranty. Have to wait about 2 more week due to stock issues - but a good outcome I guess.

I asked if they could explain the fault if it was unrepairable, but they said Rockshox had advised it ‘was just one of those things’.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Now this maybe a coincidence but I had a standard reverb not the AXS, and this had a scratch down the back side of the shaft and it was notchy when depressed. I sent it off for repair and it was a bent shaft. So according to the guys at TF tuned the shaft and internals aren’t to dissimilar to a regular dropper, so you may have a bent shaft. Which means it’s...well ...fucked. That’s the technical phrase.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Now this maybe a coincidence but I had a standard reverb not the AXS, and this had a scratch down the back side of the shaft and it was notchy when depressed. I sent it off for repair and it was a bent shaft. So according to the guys at TF tuned the shaft and internals aren’t to dissimilar to a regular dropper, so you may have a bent shaft. Which means it’s...well ...fucked. That’s the technical phrase.

If the shaft was bent, surely Rockshox wouldn't be replacing it as a warranty? Great if they did... but I thought that'd have been considered user damage, and voided any warranty giving them a good excuse to make some extra cash?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
If the shaft was bent, surely Rockshox wouldn't be replacing it as a warranty? Great if they did... but I thought that'd have been considered user damage, and voided any warranty giving them a good excuse to make some extra cash?
Maybe one of the brass slider pins has moved and caused an issue. Just describing what happened to my dropper, not saying this is what happened to this dropper. But if they can get away with it they will.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Have an AXS post in at the moment under warranty. Stopped about half way down. Often would jamn and post is now scratched. Had less than 10hrs riding on it. Looks like it will be replaced under warranty....

Gordon

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
Looks like this is a new issue. I’m on my second axs dropper first on had a scratch on the fronteith only three rides on it. Sent in for warranty and they said it was a bent shaft. Now my second one just did the same thing on my second ride. Must be using cheap materials.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Mine still hasn’t come back from its warranty replacement. Sent away mid February, so almost 3 months waiting for it to be replaced.
Tempted to buy something else for the time being, as having no dropper is pretty inconvenient!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Finally... my brand new Reverb AXS arrived yesterday.
Sent to Tredz on the 22nd Feb, and returned on the 24th May!

Although it’s taken an age, Tredz have been very good at keeping me updated, and I think most of the delay has been down to SRAM’s stock levels.

Can’t wait to go ride some trails without my seat hitting my mans bits ??

CoreyB

Sep 22, 2020
Oregon
I can't seem to find an answer to my question online...I'm looking at replacing the OEM dropper on my Levo SL with a Reverb AXS. The reason for the swap is that the OEM dropper doesn't drop when triggered until I unweight the saddle and then sit back down. My question: is that function standard in all dropper posts or does the Reverb drop when triggered if you're sitting on the saddle?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I can't seem to find an answer to my question online...I'm looking at replacing the OEM dropper on my Levo SL with a Reverb AXS. The reason for the swap is that the OEM dropper doesn't drop when triggered until I unweight the saddle and then sit back down. My question: is that function standard in all dropper posts or does the Reverb drop when triggered if you're sitting on the saddle?
My standard SL dropper does similar. It pretty rubbish if you ask me. I don't think it's meant to be like this. I had a budget Ascend Brand-X dropper on my last bike which was much better than the SL's

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Just press the button/lever on the handlebar and sit. The post will drop. Best dropper I've ever had.

ridered63

Aug 13, 2021
Canada, Alberta
So I just ceased my second rockshox reverb axs. The first had like 3 rides so I thought it was a factory built fault. I sent out to our local sram repair they said it was bent and won't warranty. Thankfully probikekit reimbursed it under good will. The second one I bought lasted about 30 basic rides. I live in Alberta, canada and our xc/enduro trails are quite lame by my city. Very basic. I can't think of any bumps or bangs on trail with either post. I weigh 205lbs with my kit and barley sit on bike. Only time post is fully extended is on up hills. I believe these seat posts are garbage, Clearly built with cheap materials. My second post looks brand new everywhere no visible damage. I would advise staying away from these posts.

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
So I just ceased my second rockshox reverb axs. The first had like 3 rides so I thought it was a factory built fault. I sent out to our local sram repair they said it was bent and won't warranty. Thankfully probikekit reimbursed it under good will. The second one I bought lasted about 30 basic rides. I live in Alberta, canada and our xc/enduro trails are quite lame by my city. Very basic. I can't think of any bumps or bangs on trail with either post. I weigh 205lbs with my kit and barley sit on bike. Only time post is fully extended is on up hills. I believe these seat posts are garbage, Clearly built with cheap materials. My second post looks brand new everywhere no visible damage. I would advise staying away from these posts.

What length was your dropper? I had two that were 170MM and both of them bent. My dealer was able to warranty both of them and now I have a 150mm that was a warranty replacement.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I've got two AXS 150mm on both my ebikes. I think they are the best thing since sliced bread! I've given them some North Shore abuse as well.

Sorry to hear of your experience though @ridered63. I would also find that very frustrating. I will certainly be keeping an eye on mine from now on.

ridered63

Aug 13, 2021
Canada, Alberta
What length was your dropper? I had two that were 170MM and both of them bent. My dealer was able to warranty both of them and now I have a 150mm that was a warranty replacement.
So my first one was 150mm bent 3 or 4th ride. Second one was 170mm it actually lasted way longer. I should have a mention I am a ocd bike owner. Clean every ride everything maintained to perfection

ridered63

Aug 13, 2021
Canada, Alberta
I've got two AXS 150mm on both my ebikes. I think they are the best thing since sliced bread! I've given them some North Shore abuse as well.

Sorry to hear of your experience though @ridered63. I would also find that very frustrating. I will certainly be keeping an eye on mine from now on.
Ugh I love them don't get me wrong. Haha my Grande Prairie trails are nothing like North shore riding haha I wish I could say they have been slightly abused. I did whistler this year but flew so I rented a Mullet v10. Said to say I am pretty sure in another year or 2 sram will eventually update the design. Due to the cost of these post I don't think they are super popular yet. Just wait till they get another 10-20k of these returned.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Ugh I love them don't get me wrong. Haha my Grande Prairie trails are nothing like North shore riding haha I wish I could say they have been slightly abused. I did whistler this year but flew so I rented a Mullet v10. Said to say I am pretty sure in another year or 2 sram will eventually update the design. Due to the cost of these post I don't think they are super popular yet. Just wait till they get another 10-20k of these returned.
Give me a shout if you are out this way again. I bet you had a great time in the park on a v10 mullet!
I actually bought my first AXS used from Yoann Barelli. Met him in Squamish to pick it up and he was with his buddy Remy!

ridered63

Aug 13, 2021
Canada, Alberta
Give me a shout if you are out this way again. I bet you had a great time in the park on a v10 mullet!
I actually bought my first AXS used from Yoann Barelli. Met him in Squamish to pick it up and he was with his buddy Remy!
Sick buddy. I will for sure. Ya I actually ordered carbon rims turning my rail 9.8 into mullet

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles