Is new ebike value for money going up or down?

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2020 Cube stereo hybrid 140 AT and it feels like a substantial upgrade over the 2018 model.

However, I realized that on both the high-end TM and AT models, they have actually increased prices around 5-10% over the last 3 model ranges, but slightly downgraded less vital components, such as drive train, handlebar, seat post etc. At the same time, vital items such as carbon frame, weight savings, battery life etc. have all gone up, and all are related to substanital R&D budget increases and enjoyment of the bike.

So, what do you say, are we getting more for our money in 2021 than in the past? Or are manufacturers taking too much advantage of the popularity of ebikes? Should we start buying second hand?

I am torn and feels it is a little of both...

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I keep having similar thoughts. When I compare what you get with an EMTB (say £4.5k) over a broadly equivalent manual (say £2.5-£3k) then they appear pretty good value. But although incomparable, I can't help comparing that against what a motorbike or decent 2nd hand car costs !

For the moment, less than a week into ownership, I'm just grinning from ear to ear every trip

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Based on the Commencal pricing for 2021 I feel that value has gone down a bit but it is early days.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Apart from almost being seduced by a Whyte on sale here, there is currently nothing else I am aware of that I would prefer to what I've got. So until I see something that motivates me sufficiently to replace my current ride, for me the question does not arise.

I can see where you are coming from. However I suspect that your time horizon is too short. Think back to the early emtbs and we are definitely getting better VFM. Next year vs this year, harder to see. So for me it has to be UP.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Apart from almost being seduced by a Whyte on sale here, there is currently nothing else I am aware of that I would prefer to what I've got. So until I see something that motivates me sufficiently to replace my current ride, for me the question does not arise.

I can see where you are coming from. However I suspect that your time horizon is too short. Think back to the early emtbs and we are definitely getting better VFM. Next year vs this year, harder to see. So for me it has to be UP.
“Almost”........ when r u giving in , it’s a thing of beauty ??

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
It´s a mix I supose. Higher demand, production and parts costs also high. Used bikes demand and value have incresed also.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I think the manufacturers are trying to provide better value but currency is offsetting their efforts, in the Uk at least.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
There has been both a spec expectation creep AND a price creep.

Back in 2018 , the only ds giant emtb we got in Australia was the full e pro (1) - $6500 but 140 mm / 34 mm fox forks, twin piston brakes, and realistically Giant should be paying compensation for the humiliation of ownership . Do not click on link if you have recently eaten - behold, my bike .... Full-E+ 1 Pro (2018) | Men E-bike bike | Giant Bicycles Australia

In 2019 they released the socially acceptable trance , we never got a $6500 bike but could choose between a $6000 mk 3 with arguably similar spec to that full e , or stick with a trance 1 at $6990 - MUCH better value with 150 mm / 36 mm forks, 4 piston brakes , and you could ride the bike in public Trance E+ 1 Pro (25km/h) (2019) | Men Trail bike | Giant Bicycles Australia

by 2020 that $6500 only got you a mk 3 trance Trance E+ 3 Pro 25km/h (2020) | Men Trail bike | Giant Bicycles Australia - arguably similar spec again with 150 mm / 35 mm forks and 4 piston brakes although lower down the desirability scale. If you still considered yourself a 1 level owner , the price goes up by another $500 , so we are being trained to think $7500 is reasonable for a trance 1 Trance E+ 1 Pro 25km/h (2020) | Men Trail bike | Giant Bicycles Australia. There's some prett huge spec creep going on - a fox dpx shock instead of just dps , xt shifters instead of slx, 12 sp vs 11 , and you don't even need to change tyres ( dhf / high rolller vs rekon)

For 2021 the economic experiment is paying off - supply shortages, fear, health awareness and sheer boredom have created a global consumer bike market than even the most genius capitalist would be proud of. I wonder how many shares he has in bicycle companies? Sit down.....$9500 for a trance 1 and $7500 for trance 3 Trance X E+ Pro 29 (2021) | Giant Bicycles Australia

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
My two year old Merida e-160-900 cost me close to AUD6K. The 2021 e160-9000 is over AUD10K. Yes a new motor and somewhat bigger battery. But about the same weight (even though the new one is carbon) and travel.

Once the EP8 motors start to ship I might see some difference but for now I have no desire for any of the new bikes. They're pretty, of course, but I still giggle like an idiot on my current bikes.

COVID19 sure isn't helping. There's no deals really as there's no overstock in anything.

Gordon

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I agree with the sentiments above. It will be interesting to see what YT come up with but I have a feeling that the Decoy base 2020 is/was a bargain.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
My two year old Merida e-160-900 cost me close to AUD6K. The 2021 e160-9000 is over AUD10K. Yes a new motor and somewhat bigger battery. But about the same weight (even though the new one is carbon) and travel.

Once the EP8 motors start to ship I might see some difference but for now I have no desire for any of the new bikes. They're pretty, of course, but I still giggle like an idiot on my current bikes.

COVID19 sure isn't helping. There's no deals really as there's no overstock in anything.

Gordon

Good example, but don't forget the e160 was being sold slongside the new range as a simpler / cheaper option in 2020, with the e160 800 still being around $6500 ozhttps://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/electric-mountain-bikes/merida/vic/fitzroy/eone-sixty-800se/106030288?variant_id=6770438

You did well getting a 900 at that price in 2018 - was it before the increase in tax when stealth asked for gst exemption ?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire

I feel similar myself, I was intending to change my Focus in the next few months but have now given up looking, I realised that I'd be spending about £3k just to have a bigger internal battery and a newer motor...

So I've decided to take the risk of the motor being out of warranty and keeping it for another year, unless something particularly tempting comes up.

The best value bike seems to be the Cube Hybrid, you need to spend £5k plus on most others to get a decent spec.

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
I bought my 2019 Giant Trance e+2 for £2700 in a sale this time last year and I still thought it was extortionate at the time. Quite fancy a new bike now but the prices are just horrendous.
My brother also really wants an e-mtb but just can’t afford one :(

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I think the manufacturers are trying to provide better value but currency is offsetting their efforts, in the Uk at least.
Also, demand for ebikes has reportedly gone up massively thanks to Covid: that, against a background of material and component supply problems - again because of Covid - is pretty much a guarantee of demand-driven price increases.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Good example, but don't forget the e160 was being sold slongside the new range as a simpler / cheaper option in 2020, with the e160 800 still being around $6500 ozhttps://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/electric-mountain-bikes/merida/vic/fitzroy/eone-sixty-800se/106030288?variant_id=6770438

You did well getting a 900 at that price in 2018 - was it before the increase in tax when stealth asked for gst exemption ?

I bought it late August 2018 (model for 2019), so I think just before Stealth did the deed (it got me when I bought my Cairn 01 though). It wasn't the cheapest deal as I went through my local LBS (has paid off in the long run though). 99Bikes wanted $5699.00 for the 900 at the time. What I think was it was right at the start of the eBike explosion here in Oz. The Merida e160 and Giant Trance came here and made a market for reasonably priced eBikes and it went off. A year later we had the Stealth Tax and far more demand so prices never came down, as is shown by the 800 being more expensive in 2020 then the 900E was two years earlier.

And if I remember correctly, Merida were about 20-30% cheaper here than almost anywhere else in the world at the time.

I actually think my Merida was underpriced by a lot in late 2018. When I look at what accoustic bikes cost with the same spec as a 900E (full Di2 and Fox factory), 6.5K incl taxes was really cheap compared to most non powered bikes with the same spec. And even now accoustic bike prices are also going through the roof. I looked at a video here (Flow MTB) an there's a new Giant that tops out at 14K!. I see EVIL bikes at well over 10K pretty regularly on our trails. So I don't think its just eBikes.

Gordon

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
I bought it late August 2018 (model for 2019), so I think just before Stealth did the deed (it got me when I bought my Cairn 01 though). It wasn't the cheapest deal as I went through my local LBS (has paid off in the long run though). 99Bikes wanted $5699.00 for the 900 at the time. What I think was it was right at the start of the eBike explosion here in Oz. The Merida e160 and Giant Trance came here and made a market for reasonably priced eBikes and it went off. A year later we had the Stealth Tax and far more demand so prices never came down, as is shown by the 800 being more expensive in 2020 then the 900E was two years earlier.

And if I remember correctly, Merida were about 20-30% cheaper here than almost anywhere else in the world at the time.

I actually think my Merida was underpriced by a lot in late 2018. When I look at what accoustic bikes cost with the same spec as a 900E (full Di2 and Fox factory), 6.5K incl taxes was really cheap compared to most non powered bikes with the same spec. And even now accoustic bike prices are also going through the roof. I looked at a video here (Flow MTB) an there's a new Giant that tops out at 14K!. I see EVIL bikes at well over 10K pretty regularly on our trails. So I don't think its just eBikes.

Gordon

May 2018 was the great emtb shortage when short supply of bosch lead to everything else selling out - Merida were already unobtanium , and then the stealth tax happened. So that makes you a valuable tax paying member of society and me a victim of impulsive desperate consumerism......my lbs couldn't get me an e160 , the one an hour away had been promised a demo but it never arrived, and they got my giant instead. I was the first to demo ride it and they offered a $1500 discount so I figured I could sell it when the e160's became available again. By the time the 2019 models arrived I was in love with a fugly bike.

When we did the first buller epic in 2019 Merida e160's were the bike of choice - I'm still vaguely tempted to buy myself one of the last e160's , it'll be the green frame ducati of the emtb world

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles