EBike Tires for rocky down hill

Scoter

May 10, 2020
Australia
Hi Guys I’m the proud owner of a 2020 Levo Comp. Had for it for 6months and seem to chew out tires. Just wondering what you guys rate for the rocky stuff. As I’m looking for a new set and I see there are tires coming out specifically for the E Bikes ??

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
You don't need ebike specific tyres, but you do need strong tyres, so go for the downhill version of whatever tyre you prefer. My favourite is maxxis dhf doubledown on the front and maxxis Dhr ii doubledown on the back. They also do a proper dh version which is stronger again, but I can get away with the doubledown version.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
You don't need ebike specific tyres, but you do need strong tyres, so go for the downhill version of whatever tyre you prefer. My favourite is maxxis dhf doubledown on the front and maxxis Dhr ii doubledown on the back. They also do a proper dh version which is stronger again, but I can get away with the doubledown version.

+1vote for Maxxis tyres with DD (Doubledown) casing - only tyre that hasn't let me down.

Assegai up front for sure

in the back either a Aggressor for rolling efficiency, Assegai for pure grip and DHR for somewhere in between

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I like the Eddy Current, despite being e specific. There is a deal for a pair on one of the German retailers site. It works out at less less than £80 delivered or so for the pair.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
I like the Eddy Current, despite being e specific. There is a deal for a pair on one of the German retailers site. It works out at less less than £80 delivered or so for the pair.
Eddy currents are bad. They shed knobs like they’re going out of style. Just stick to the classics. They’re classic because they work. Dhf (or assegai) front, dhr (or high roller) rear. DH casing if you want. Everything else is basically designed to imitate these.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I run MM up front and EC (with SG casing) on the rear, made more than 2kkm with both of them. MM is very good and grippy front tire, EC is good and durable rear tire in dry conditions, as soon as it gets little wet EC is not so good anymore ...

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Im running assegai front and rear on the levo comp carnt fault the tyre bags a grip were ever i ride the dont last that long specs on the rear but wow super grippy ??

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Eddy currents are bad. They shed knobs like they’re going out of style. Just stick to the classics. They’re classic because they work. Dhf (or assegai) front, dhr (or high roller) rear. DH casing if you want. Everything else is basically designed to imitate these.

IME EC are really good. Certainly never lost knobs despite the adverse terrain and my cavalier riding style. Far better than the DHF they replaced. In another league in fact.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
The eddy currents do lose knobs when travelling at speed in the lake district after a few hundred miles, but I like them.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
A lot of you seem to really like the eddy currents. I havent tried them , as I mentioned above I quite like the DHF/DHR combo, but I'm open to change if there's an improvement to be had without compromise anywhere else.

Are the eddy currents much slower rolling than the DHF/DHR combo? do you notice much worse battery life with them, or even rolling speed when the trail points downhill and you're not using the motor? In what way are they better than DHf/DHR?

They look like they'd be massively draggy, and v heavy .... dotn want my ebike any heavier than it already is (23kg) - without a very good reason!

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Assegai front & DHR II rear - Probably DD & Cushcore but possibly DH casing for maximum chunk - would be my recommendation.

Tyrrell

May 21, 2020
Dorset
My DHR11 lasted about 700 miles then the dreaded rip in the side wall, along with most of the centre knobs worn away to nothing.
My bike is a Haibike 8 Alt Mt weighs 28 kg and is de restricted, so the rear tyre gets a proper work out EC is the ideal Tyre For me.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
IME EC are really good. Certainly never lost knobs despite the adverse terrain and my cavalier riding style. Far better than the DHF they replaced. In another league in fact.
I dunno, maybe you’re not riding them very hard or on that rocky terrain or something? This is a pretty well documented phenomenon on the interwebz and anecdotally I’ve seen it on friend’s bikes. ?‍♂️

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've seen it (and done it) on MM on the rear but I haven't seen it on ECs. Yet. Mine survived 2 very hard days at Coed y Brenin with nary a mark though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles