Australian maximum speed 25kmph

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
In Australia, and other countries around the world e bikes are restricted to 25kmph. Does anyone know who we can petition in Australia to get this increased as I find 25kmph is not enough. I think our neighbours in New Zealand can ride their e bikes up to 45kmph!

Last edited:

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Firstly, if you write to anyone please call it an assist limit ( or something similar) - the last thing we need is one of our pen pushing revenue raisers associating " speed limit" with bikes.....you'll get speed cameras on down hill trails.

Now, you could tell Scummo that higher assist levels would burn more coal?

But perhaps, first, go for a ride on your favourite trail. Stop anywhere you discover mobile reception and read one of the US based ebike forums for as long as it takes to find a thread about lack off access to trails. It'll make about as much difference to your total ride time as the 25 k assist limit.

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
NZ I believe is 32km/h same as USA which is equivalent 20mph. South Africa is also 32km/h. Europe and UK is 25 km/h. Seems we follow the Europe/UK standard.
All things being equal I think the 25km/h limit in Au is a bit on the low side and the US standard of 32 km/h would cover me 99% of the time instead of the +- 90% that 25kmh does.
Good luck getting this changed, I can already sense your frustration.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
32kmh is 20mph, not 25. 20 would be better than 15.5 though.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I have had the good fortune to live where no one really cares about assist limits and so never have had a cut out feature. Rode a friends new Giant E+ Pro the other day and in the appropriate spot, flat section, pedaled it up to the limit and while it wasn't like a brick wall it was definitely felt and made me glad that I don't have it as I am used to cruising at 22-24mph in those situations.

As an aside I use a 750w mid drive kit, TSDZ2 type, and the "250w" Yammie definitely felt more powerful throughout although it was on a 10lb heaver bike.

maynard

Yeah cos a petition does lots.... not . Who cares just make ur own laws. I de restricted both my bikes with no ill effects. Just don't ride like a fuckwit. Be respectful of other riders walkers and dogs and wildlife and try to not get run over by cars . Police don't care no one cares. Only a bunch of ocd bikers who care .

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Actually I love speed etc however I'm for keeping the limit at 32kph here in NZ. The trouble is the new to ebike oldies firing along the sidewalk at top speed & don't have the reaction time or skills or distance to stop or take evasive action. TBH the only time I have felt like getting rid of the speed limiter was yesterday along a cycle path where it was easy to speed however of course it was shared access with blind corners so could be an accident waiting to happen as above.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
As @KeithR says, here in NZ there is no maximum assisted speed limit. What we have is a maximum power output limit of 300w. Note that the maximum wattage of the motor may be much higher than the maximum power output

"A theoretical upper limit to the maximum power output can be determined by multiplying the battery voltage by the controller’s maximum amperage output and the motors peak efficiency. For example, a 600W motor with a peak efficiency of 90% and a 12V battery with a controller that has a maximum output of 21amps creates a maximum controller power output of 252W. Also considering the motor efficiency the maximum power output is 227W, even though the motor alone has a potential output of 600W. "

There are commuter e-bikes on sale here that will do the legal urban speed limit of 50kmh

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
Having my bike increased to 32kmph would be sufficient. I find when on flat sections, on some of my trails 25kmph is just not faster enough. Personally, I don't think an increase of 7kmph would pose a danger to other riders. I think the majority of e bike riders would be respectful to other trail users as most are, sure you will get dickheads, but dickheads are everywhere!

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I fully intended to derestrict mine but after a few weeks decided not to. I can sit comfortably above the 25kph limit on flat ground so the battery is only used on hills or slow sections. On paths and roads I've done 80km and still had some of the 500wh remaining. If the limit was 32kph, I'd have nowhere near that range.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Quite frankly, I would prefer a 40kph setting here in New Zealand. Nothing frustrates me more that sitting on the limiter all freaking day.
FFS - I often ride my self powered bike 35-45kph on many trails.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
On paths and roads I've done 80km and still had some of the 500wh remaining. If the limit was 32kph, I'd have nowhere near that range.

Not quite sure it works that way. I had a couple bikes restricted to 25kph when I was deciding if to buy an eMTB or not and found my range was actually less than when I got to ride a 32kph limited bike. I think when you are banging the limiter it sucks more juice - or at least appears that way.
Quite frankly, if I was limited to 25kph I would not bother with an eMTB.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Not sure wether all gearbox motors conform to this same manner?.... But a gearbox designs that allows an efficient bypass (clutch) a neutral freewheel when at maxed out speed at the motor cut off...... this often can be as with my experience when peddling is at the crucial moment.... in short.... having the peddling efficiency experience as with a non e bike at motor cut off.... given only the obvious bike weight to ride..... So as at the riding trail point viewing features are rolling in fast and required speed checking is in order..... peddling into features without pushing the cut off of motor drag.... a motor design too smoother peddling, transitioning out, at the point from restricted cut off.... just my 2c

Ali_Foto

Feb 16, 2024
Dubai
Any body has idea in increase speed limit from 25 km/h to 32 Km/h in TQ drive system on Trek Fuel EXE ? Is it set on motor pcb or display unit ?

IMG_0152.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles