Are there any ladies here?

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
I would LOVE to get my wife out on the trails with me, but unfortunately the last time we rode out, she managed to jackknife on the flat, on a tampered gravel path and flip herself over the handlebars. I have no idea how. As a result, she is reluctant to try A. Trails riding and B. Any form of eBike. She also suffers from massive saddle discomfort when riding a bike....but she wants to go out on a “groomed” track if the opportunity arises....
So,
  1. Any ladies out there who suffered the same sort of discomfort issues and found a really good solution?
  2. Any ladies out there who recommend a specific e-bike that is a bit more forgiving to a newbie (nervous) rider but will last once they have some confidence?
  3. Anyone know of an effective Anti-jackknifing solution apart from “hold the handlebars “?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
1. Gel seat cover, Chamois.
2. Keep the mode in lowest setting, or if can turn down the modes so less snatchy.
3. Could be many reasons. Start by breathing and not panicking.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Thanks- will look into the seat cover. ?

If she is not too familiar with bikes then it's possible she pulled the front brake instead of the rear sending her over. Best training is to disconnect the back brakes and she will learn pretty quick ;-)))

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As a result, she is reluctant to try A. Trails riding and B. Any form of eBike

I think @TimVW might have an unused ladies saddle for sale. With the extra weight, an e-bike is a slightly more stable platform which should make her feel more secure and confident. From my experience, with the extra weight, it's also quite a bit harder to fling yourself over the bars from an accidental brake grab or some other random incident -within reason.....

Also, maybe let her go in front so she's not so easily distracted watching your bottom :)

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
I think @TimVW might have an unused ladies saddle for sale. With the extra weight, an e-bike is a slightly more stable platform which should make her feel more secure and confident. From my experience, with the extra weight, it's also quite a bit harder to fling yourself over the bars from an accidental brake grab or some other random incident -within reason.....

Also, maybe let her go in front so she's not so easily distracted watching your bottom :)

Yep, that may well be the case @Zimmerframe. Not tried the Canyon one yet and kind of like the idea of the rear support, but will likely still go with the Ronin, unless the Spectral one is ultra comfy ?.

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Hi My wife rides an ebike it hybrid ( Raleigh motus) she is quite a nervous rider but much prefers her ebike to her regular bike due to the ebikes weight and stability she is much more confident on it.

You would be suprised how capable it is on gravel we road 55miles on the taf taf trail last week it did not miss a beat.

Before buying we looked at a lot of bikes it's important that the bike fits and feels right so she can feel confident On it.

Bean

Jul 21, 2018
Hull, UK
Hiya,
My wife uses a gel saddle along with padded shorts/leggings, she finds this the best option for comfort. We softened up rear shock too, for comfort and helps her confidence being able to sit on with feet on ground, and easy to adjust as confidence grows.

One of the forestry sites might be a nice place to get confidence back up, pick a green route and just amble along, normally plenty of places to stop and relax and take your time.

Bike wise as Maxb said find one that fits, though my wife bought an ex-demo Levo as soon as she had a go on it so sometimes bike will just feel right.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
RE comfy seat recommendations: Mrs levity has "settled" on Specialized's Alida seat. It's well padded (Specialized *Level 4*) and wide at 155mm for support, but it's easy to move around on. Hefty at 345g but worth the weight penalty (I use the men's Canopy version on my Levo). Inexpensive - $35

Women's Aldia | Specialized.com

seated on the Levo -
DHP Levo.jpg

sliding off the back on the Salsa push bike -
Silver Stairs.jpg

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
My riding buddy's wife did the same thing going over the handlebars and lost a front tooth when she hit the ground. Ouch!
I personally have such a long torso and short legs that I was frequently going over the bars in the beginning of my mountain biking years as a weight weenie mountain bike racer until I learned to raise the front with a 17° rise stem and some extra spacers, but eventually accepted that I simply needed a larger frame size and then didn't need to use such an extreme stem to reposition my body on the bike. I no longer go over the bars.
However the other thing that helped me early on, was to always position the front brake lever somewhat farther away from the handlebar than the rear so that in a panic stop the front brake would not grab as soon as the rear.
Once I learned the attack position, to slide the body weight back and stiffen the arms, I no longer needed to do that, but newbies might find this a useful tip initially.
However the most important advice I could give would be to have your wife attend a mountain bike clinic to learn the important skills, which actually even could be run by yourself if you are an experienced rider, where she would practice these emergency stops on a soft grassy lawn where there is less penalty for falling until she learns the technique better and feels more confident.
I teach mountain bike clinics and I can attest to the fact that all new riders feel instantly more comfortable if you take all of the steering tube spacers and position them below the stem of their mountain bike if they have this complaint of going over the handlebars, as well as lower their seat post somewhat. Also the advice is given to get a higher rise and possibly somewhat longer stem at their local bike shop if they still feel uncomfortably uncertain about going OTB, especially if they are riding a frame that is too small for their body type.
Then your wife must continually practice emergency braking maneuvers every time before she starts a ride to refresh her technique: Slam the butt back, stiffen the arms straight while keeping the butt low, the classical attack position, until this becomes a second nature reflex.
All new riders attending a mountain bike clinic should be taught the attack position with emergency braking as the first step in my opinion. You can grab all the front brake you want if you learn this and not go over the handlebars. Well as long as you have a properly fitted bike and also know how to use your dropper post ha ha.
Once again however I come back to the importance of proper bike fit. We are not riding road bikes where the front needs to be so low, and the front of mountain bikes needs to be higher for confidence in the steep drops and emergency braking. I personally cannot believe how long it is taking for the mountain bike industry to get the geometry right for mountain bikes. Just look how many mountain bikers in these forums have fitted their stock 140-150 mm fork travel E bikes with a 160 mm travel fork or even greater as I have used 170 mm. I will never go back.
If your wife has a longer torso and shorter legs she simply must move up in frame size or look for a frame with a longer reach and use a slightly longer stem or the bike will never fit her properly. Reach may be the most important geometry measurement on a mountain bike. If you don't have enough reach your arms will fold on you, you will not be able to stiffen them fast enough as the weight slams forward in steep drops or emergency braking, and you end up going to OTB. I personally learned this the hard way over many many years of racing.
Then again I have an unusually long torso and your wife's situation may be different and maybe she just needs practice in emergency stops. Good luck.

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
Thank you all for Your advice, tips, tricks and recommendations! We have bought a gel saddle and will see how a gentle ride on a coastal cycle path nearby goes and then make the next move from there.
Some very interesting points raised in here tho- seems the industry could learn a trick or 2 consulting this forum!
Andy

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles