Apple Air Tag holders - For bikes

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I can 3d print these if anyone wants one - though I'd agree with Rob that the bottle mount one is a bit daft as it's easily seen

Under the seat is popular, I've designed one that fits in the steering tube of a fox 34 fork at the bottom - it's impossible to see, pretty much impossible to get out, and it stops mud going up the tube :)

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Some of the "stealthier" options you can 3d print that I've come across..

Under seat mount
1638627077343.png

As mentioned Fox 34 steerer tube cap

1638627135376.png

1638627114743.png

Same thing for a Fox 36

1638627228480.png

Inside a fake reflector

1638627250270.png

1638627263108.png

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Next thing, thieves sticking these handy things on bikes they want to nick, helpfully keeping track of where it is.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
If the bikes unattended enough to cable tie an airtag mount under a seat, I think a thief would just nick it rather than track it later like a twisted version of deer hunting

Also if you own an iphone it will tell you if an airtag that's not yours is tracking your location.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
First rule of fight club.... don't tell anyone where you hid your air tag🤫
👌
It’s how I’ve set up my CCTV. There’s the big fat cheap obvious outdoor cams to encourage the baddies to go next door and then there’s the ones that will take a closeup of their faces —> instantly to the cloud which I send to the police the next day. Won’t get my stuff back, but will give some secondary satisfaction as the baddies will never know the cams are even there ‘till it’s too late…
And, no, I’m not saying how I guarantee that 😉

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
If the bikes unattended enough to cable tie an airtag mount under a seat, I think a thief would just nick it rather than track it later like a twisted version of deer hunting

Also if you own an iphone it will tell you if an airtag that's not yours is tracking your location.
So, is your point that they now have one more option, depending on circumstances? If so, I agree!

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
So, is your point that they now have one more option, depending on circumstances? If so, I agree!

My point is that the benefit of being able to possibly track your bike if it's nicked and ridden off, allowing you to recover it outweighs, in my opinion, the pure paranoia that someone will see your bike unattended with a cheap U lock and decide to whack an airtag on it with a 3d printed mount, hope you don't notice (which you would if you have an airtag cos you'd have an iphone and it would tell you) and hope that when you get home it's not in a garage with a motorbike chain around it.

But I guess a lot of people here have lined their helmets with tin foil :rolleyes:

I mean if someone wants to tag mine and come find my house, get past 3 CCTV cameras and a garage 120db motion alarm then angle grind through the motorbike chain to get it, fair play to them.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I was attempting humour — not the funniest 🙄

I agree with you. My bike is most likely to be nicked through a process entirely unrelated to any tech — unless you include a high torque 36v battery cutter as tech.

If I have an agenda on AirTags, it’s that the best security policy is a package of ‘things’ and ‘behaviours’ that are based on knowing what the b*******s know. Plus insurance if you can afford that.

I agree AirTags neatly fit into that policy.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Ahhh sorry didn't pick up on that - usually people just go full conspiracy theory on everything here

I have mine insured, it's £26 a month - which is more than my car insurance. But then the bike is worth more than the car so...

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Yeah it’s madness I am paying £55 a month to insure to ebikes

they are chained up inside the house with cctv and alarms on the house , I never leave them unattended when I am riding
Wondering if it’s worth carrying on paying it

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I've thought the same - as I said mines in an alarmed locked garage, with a massive motorbike chain and gold standard lock on it.
The CCTV is motion sensitive and alerts me on my phone.

It's protected much better than my car that just sits on the driveway. But at the end of the day £300 a year or whatever seems worth it for £5k of bike just in case the worst does happen

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
£50pm.
Yes, there’s a lot going on in the “insurance/16mm chain and lock/CCTV/inside the house or not” decision. I was without my eeb for months with no cash for a non-existent new bike (not due to theft).
I hated it.
And the tin foil just made it worse 😳

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
When I took mine into a LBS and asked if they could replace the freewheel unit they told me it would take 2 months to get parts and “you’re best having 2 emtb’s mate so you have a spare one to ride if your first one needs work doing”
Yeaaaaaaaah let me just go spend another £5k on a spare bike.

I bought a freewheel hub from China and fitted it myself

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Based on what just happened to @Mikerb and a few others here this seems to make a ton of sense. Better than insurance which comes up pretty regularly as well. Have used this tech for finding my phone a few times and it's amazing!

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
Airtag fitted today, speaker removed. Good thread suggestions cheers all 👍
removing the speaker doesnt help you.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
removing the speaker doesnt help you.

I never said it would, I just said I'd done that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles