Anyone West Sussex way got a Shimano Steps lockring tool?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Got two chain devices to fit to mine and a mate's bikes, not inclined to spend £40 to avoid cutting the crap shimano ones off off but if anyone has one I could have a borrow of for a day that would be much appreciated. Otherwise it's angle grinder time!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What do you find "crap" about the Shimano guide?
Mine is cut down to a 2 bolt slot backplate so it can be removed without ever needing to bother removing the crank, chainring or spider.
it was a 5 min job to hacksaw and file the backplate.
Using an angle grinder fun as they are isn't the smartest option down by your motor case

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My Shimano bike came with no guide and it was a hellishly painful experience digging the chain out from round the frame each time it fell off - which was everytime you went fast on "interesting" terrain ..

I look at several the time and the shimano one, despite the PIA of fitting .. actually looked like the best option and in fairness seemed to perform well .. no more lost chain !

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I stuck with the Shimano as the plastics of the guide are actually very well designed and it is probably the best option if you ever ride in trousers as it encases the chain right at the point where a flappy trouser leg can get pulled into the chainring and get jammed by the chain/guide and as you can't backpedal an Emtb to free it, in certain situations this could prove extremely dangerous. It's also a really quiet guide. so long as you replace the rubber.

I ripped a pair of work trousers and snapped a OneUp guide backplate clean in two a couple of weeks ago during a windy commute on my dirtjump bike so definitely wouldn't want an open guide with similar design on my Eeb

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles