Anyone use Flexx Bars to mitigate wrist pain?

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
Hi all, I suffer from wrist pain probably due to undiagnosed Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) and a couple previous fractures.

I've tried a few different handlebar bends and grips which helped, but I still get pain & numbness especially on longer chunky downhills.

I use Flexx Bars on my motorcycles (enduro + dual sport) and they make a big difference for me, but I'm curious if anyone here have used their mountain bike bars and what they think? I searched through some of the other threads but I thought I'd check if there were any more recent Flexx users here.

I'm on a '21 Giant Trance so I've given up on trying to save weight. I'm currently using a RaceFace Turbine R 35mm riser bar and ESI chunky grips.

Many thanks! Untitled-883_1800x1800.jpg

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I struggle with wrist pain. I have ridden road mostly the last 10 years, but am getting back to MTB. I found that the #1 thing that made it go away, was finding a way to not rest on my hands. I tried grips, etc. I haven't yet taken my eMTB in for a fitting, but on my road bike, a proper fit took me off my wrists, and let my body do the work. Now, if you are talking about while in a standing, over the bar position, a fit won't matter as much, but if you are talking about riding in the saddle, pedalling uphill, etc. It will surely help.

You have one of the best fitters in the USA over the bay from you. He does MTBs, as well as road and tri bikes. His fit on my road bike was miraculous to say the least, I've had him do 2 bikes. The only reason I haven't taken my bike over is that I just haven't had time. I am about 3 hours away, so it is an all day affair for me.

Go see Pedro over in SF, he has a web site to book your appointment, and will spend the time to dial in seat position, bar position, pedaling position, etc. While not cheap, the cost is less than those Flexx bars, and even if you have those already, he will get them dialed.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’ve not had any experience with the Fast bars but I’ve been using the One-Up e-bike specific bar and it’s worked wonders for my wrist. My go to combo on all my bikes is the e-bike bar with Rev Grips.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
Hi all, I suffer from wrist pain probably due to undiagnosed Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) and a couple previous fractures.

I've tried a few different handlebar bends and grips which helped, but I still get pain & numbness especially on longer chunky downhills.

I use Flexx Bars on my motorcycles (enduro + dual sport) and they make a big difference for me, but I'm curious if anyone here have used their mountain bike bars and what they think? I searched through some of the other threads but I thought I'd check if there were any more recent Flexx users here.

I'm on a '21 Giant Trance so I've given up on trying to save weight. I'm currently using a RaceFace Turbine R 35mm riser bar and ESI chunky grips.

Many thanks! View attachment 110969
I have a bad left wrist. I haven’t tried these yet… I do have on all my bikes ergonomic winged grips. They are a ride saver.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
If you have not tried moving your seat back on it's rails yet, you might give that a shot. The farther back your body is the less pressure on your wirsts. Try all the way back first and if that works then make small incremently adjustments back towards the handle bars to find a happy meduim. Cost nothing to try.

There is also the Redshift system for $169. Even though your front shock dampens the vibrations . . . Since you already have an injury the extra dampening might help. You can always return it if you find it does not help with your wrist pain: ShockStop Suspension Stem

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
The first thing I would do is switch back to the 31.8 size combo. Stem and bar. 35 is far too stiff for many.
Spank Vibrocore bar is quite good at size 31.8
Of course, the Oneup 35 carbon bar is good and helps the vibration.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa

Many thanks! View attachment 110969
Jimmy Lewis raves about them on his ebike.. I didn't like them on my dirt bike... but love the mako 360! Check out the hammerhead 360 stem.. cool thing with the xcgear stuff is you can run any bar you want.. downside is $$ but mako 360 has been invaluable to me
On my yz250x

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
The first thing I would do is switch back to the 31.8 size combo. Stem and bar. 35 is far too stiff for many.
Spank Vibrocore bar is quite good at size 31.8
Of course, the Oneup 35 carbon bar is good and helps the vibration.
Couldn’t have said it better.

I have very sensitive hands and arms, and have found 2 things have really helped.

A carbon bar that is compliant (many are not and are too stiff). The OneUp bar has a great reputation in this regard and the folks at my LBS rave about it. I purchased the E-bar version of their bar and it is even slightly more compliant (5% more) than their regular bar. I can attest it dampens vibrations very well for a 35 mm bar.

The 2nd thing is: comfort grips with mini-wings. Like the Ergon GA3 ones. I have ones made by Syncros (Scott) and Specialized sells these as well. These made a big difference for me.

Together these two things eliminated my pain and discomfort.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles