Anyone ridden in Dartmoor?

Jimmi

Jun 25, 2018
Harefield
Im on my way Truro tomorrow so I have time to stop for a ride. Dartmoor looks good........Can anyone recommend a goor route?

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
Do you use the Viewranger App? If so you can download trails for Dartmoor to your phone. There are quite a few. I ride there fairly often but don't have any marked routes.

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
Go to the view ranger website - search for routes in the area you want and then save them (you need to set up a free account). On your Viewranger phone app 'sync' content and then it will download the routes to your phone. You will need to have bought credits so you can download 1:50,000 or 1:250,000 maps for the areas you want. It charges you so many credits per map download and you buy however credits you need. Then just click on the route and press start. Theres a full help section on their website - and its worth getting to know the app as it amazing. Took me a while to woprk it all out :)

Jimmi

Jun 25, 2018
Harefield
That’s great thanks, I was hoping to just do it all from my phone. I’ll check out the website later.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hi Jimi

Mountain biking in Dartmoor: top routes | OS GetOutside

This is a nice route

OS Maps: online mapping and walking, running and cycling routes

but a bit roady for the last bit, we always start at the car park ( marked on the OS map link as a chequered flag) in the top left corner of the car park you will see a path climb up until you reach an obvious track, stay left and on the level and keep going for about a mile or so and you will come to a tarmac bit of lane, go straight over and you will come to a gate (150m) go through this one and about another 4 or 5 after and then just continue riding in clockwise direction on the old rail line, it's a fairly long climb up to Princetown.

As you approach Princetown, the track splits take the left fork and after the gate, next to the fire station, bear right on the road and head for the Plume of feathers pub, as you cross the mini roundabout in front of the pub you will see a track dead ahead and through a gate. But stop and get a pint first you will have earned it.

From here you can either stay on the route as marked on the OS link or if you are feeling adventurous and want to avoid the roady stuff.

After leaving the pub continue on for about two miles, there is a right turn, pretty sure it's marked by a small granite cross (Find Cramber Tor on the OS link and zoom in and you will see it maked as ======) follow this rocky track, hope you haven't got any loose fillings :eek: , all the way down to the reservoir and at the bottom stay left, keep going heading down (if you go right and start climbing you are in for a world of pain) until you come out on the road that goes around the reservoir and if you ride around the water in either direction, always keeping the lake to one side or the other, you will come to the dam follow the road out from the dam, heading for Dousland your original start point will be about 400 metres up that road and on your right.

Hope this helps and good luck.
20180506_122152 (002).jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles