• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Anyone received their Speedbox 1.2B (Bosch rim magnet version) yet?

DOMBUSH

Aug 10, 2020
Cambridge
Says end of Jan, doesn't it? Interested to see how well they work
Yes, mostly interested to see if the combination of the increasingly sophisticated restriction code and the rim magnet / motor mounted sensor will be difficult to make reliable.

Also, pricing is beyond what i imagine most would want to pay as an increment over buying the bike.

So, interested to see if it proves popular / reliable.

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
On the website they said it would start shipping in January.
Anyone ordered / received one yet?
Yeah, a friend of mine pre-ordered in November and received it last Thursday.
He doesn't ride in the winter much, because it destroys the trails, so I don't imagine he'll get it fitted and ridden anytime soon. Winter is for road/gravel miles.
;)

speedbox.jpeg

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Yeah, a friend of mine pre-ordered in November and received it last Thursday.
He doesn't ride in the winter much, because it destroys the trails, so I don't imagine he'll get it fitted and ridden anytime soon. Winter is for road/gravel miles.
;)

View attachment 133077
Well, that's not helpful! Also wrong, winter riding is hilarious on ebikes! Our trails don't see much traffic so doesn't create a problem. Although the cleaning probably doesn't do the bikes much good....

Anyway, tell him to send it to me and I'll test it for him, free of charge!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Who else specs these awful rim magnets?
I know pole do as I've ordered one, but being a small manufacturer allow you to change to a rotor magnet.

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
It would be great if he could open it and give us a view of what you get and the quality of the connectors?
Sure, here you go. Not sure how you can tell the quality of connectors by looking at a pic, but they look good IRL :)

IMG_1503 (1).jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

Well, that's not helpful!
Well, apologies for answering the OP's question and not fielding any others I didn't forsee you had :p

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
What's that long cable in the bottom pic? It looks like a Bosch speed sensor cable that runs to the rotor magnet.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Sure, here you go. Not sure how you can tell the quality of connectors by looking at a pic, but they look good IRL :)

View attachment 133730
View attachment 133731
View attachment 133732

Well, apologies for answering the OP's question and not fielding any others I didn't forsee you had :p
I meant that's not helpful that he's not installing it and giving the desperate masses the first feedback!
But yes, if you could read my mind in future that would be super, thanks!

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
What's that long cable in the bottom pic? It looks like a Bosch speed sensor cable that runs to the rotor magnet.
No rotor magnet. Watch the first 1:20 of the video :)

Also, better pics than mine here.

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
I meant that's not helpful that he's not installing it and giving the desperate masses the first feedback!
But yes, if you could read my mind in future that would be super, thanks!
I know, just teasing :love:

On it with the mind reading!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
No rotor magnet. Watch the first 1:20 of the video :)

Also, better pics than mine here.

Oh I see. It just replaces the rim magnet with a spoke magnet. I thought it would be cleverer than that to be honest, more like the megabobra one I've seen on here.
Fortunately pole allow you to change from rim magnet to rotor magnet then buy a cheaper delimiter if you choose.
I guess most of the bigger manufacturers dont allow this though.

Last edited:

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Oh I see. It just replaces the rim magnet with a spoke magnet. I thought it would be cleverer than that to be honest, more like the megabobra one I've seen on here.
Fortunately pole allow you to change from rim magnet to rotor magnet then buy a cheaper delimiter if you're choose.
I guess most of the bigger manufacturers dont allow this though.
Early adopters only had a choice of one.

Guessing that the difference for a pricier delimiter is less than that of a new Voima swingarm ;)

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Won't take many months until Bosch have made a program to block and discover this item
Ha ha yes, I worked in IT long enough to have learnt not to update anything that's working.
Early adopters only had a choice of one.

Guessing that the difference for a pricier delimiter is less than that of a new Voima swingarm ;)
It looks like the original, with the machined in brake mount posts, has the bit to connect the external sensor. The bosch parts are about £45.
Then a competent dealer visit to change from rim to rotor pickup.

Last edited:

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Yes my voima is build week 6 now after a delay, so supposedly next week . YAY!
I will update that thread once i have done it. The Bosch guy I've spoke to doesn't see a problem.
That would seem like a tidier solution than the 1.2b, I'll tell my friend.

Enjoy your Voima, it's a ripper! :love:

DOMBUSH

Aug 10, 2020
Cambridge

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Mine arrived friday, Hopefully get it mounted next week. Expensive bundle of wires but Got to be derestricted...
IMG_7290.jpeg

dlowe

Sep 25, 2023
Australia
Mine has arrived too, but sadly, I can't get the bluetooth to connect, nor do I have a kiox display to test the magnet strength (or all the other things the display is used for!)
Screenshot_20240206_152510_SpeedBox App (1).jpg
Screenshot_20240206_152520_SpeedBox App.jpg
20240206_152639.jpg

I guess I have a dodgy device... Tried app permissions, reboots etc etc.... no luck

Last edited:

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Ahhh.. i'v been posting my experience on "derestricting bosch smart system" yes i also cant get it to connect, it finds it but then wont go past the connecting page. it worked up n down the street but iv not had time to take up moun tain yet.

Mike72

Feb 6, 2024
Vosselaar
I received mine today, installed it on the bike and i have the exact same problem... I emailed them, lets hope for a solution soon... It finds the module but it hangs on connecting to the app. i can not start it by walk button either...

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles