Anyone in Surrey climbed this?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
You can make @TheBikePilot run up the stairs carrying the camera at the same time - that would make interesting footage just on it's own ! :)

The stair set of doom on the way down looks like a nice suspension test.

If it's not got a strava name already then "Beekeepers Climb" sounds like a good one :cool:

Sod going up it, but I’d be chasing the KOM on the stairset ??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The attempt begins, pictures really don’t do it justice

F298C3B5-B0CB-41A7-BF91-35B8A9FBA16A.jpeg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The attempt begins, pictures really don’t do it justice

View attachment 61181
Cameras flatten everything!

in my YourTube vids I’m constantly being told ‘...that’s not a climb, I could manual that’ ? in video comments!

Same with steep rough stuff. In a recent vid I was using a ton of fork travel on a descent with constant high speed impacts... “dude, put some damn air in your forks!”

Even WC DH tracks can look flattish at the wrong angles!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just got back - firstly you can definitely climb it, but it’s a right bugger, but also a lot of fun.

I made it to the top but didn’t clear it in one go cleanly.

There are two ways up it - you can go to the side of the steps, but after about half way up there are a few logs/ledges as you get towards the top that you have to clear, and are pretty tricky as your getting knackered by that point and in the conditions today you start wheels spinning out.

Other way up is up the grass to the left, and this is how I got up, though it’s a minefield of molehill, dips and bushes you have to navigate and zig zag around, and actually this approach was the most fun - about 5 times I though I had it in the bag only to be bought to a halt by my front wheel going into a dip or rut. This is roughly the highlighted route in the pic.

My bike is overforked so the front end was getting pretty light which didn’t help, and conditions far from ideal, as you can see from picture is was wet underfoot and tyres got clogged up after a few runs meaning I was spinning out a lot on the top section.

Did it in boost a few times then settled on trail for most of my attempts as a lot more control and less chance of the rear wheel loosing grip.

I reckon a better rider than me could clear it, some trials skills would definitely be handy and on a dry day.

Good location for a climbing challenge with some mates!

C79E340B-EFA3-4A7B-800B-1ECBC6FBA290.jpeg

7A732786-6921-4045-9465-2C54DD1555D1.jpeg

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
Let me give you some Surrey hill climbs... Try Landrover on the south face on Ranmore, Then there's the short cut climb to Wonderland near woodyard and finally the two short cut climbs returning up from Barry's on Holmbury, the steepest is opposite the Gassons farm drop from Peaslake. Good luck. Do not try when wet....... Just adding some trials type fun to our rides.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Just got back - firstly you can definitely climb it, but it’s a right bugger, but also a lot of fun.

There are two ways up it - you can go to the side of the steps, but after about half way up there are a few logs/ledges as you get towards the top that you have to clear, and are pretty tricky as your getting knackered by that point and in the conditions today you start wheels spinning out.

Other way up is up the grass to the left, and this is how I got up, though it’s a minefield of molehill, dips and bushes you have to navigate and zig zag around, and actually this approach was the most fun - about 5 times I though I had it in the bag only to be bought to a halt by my front wheel going into a dip or rut. This is roughly the highlighted route in the pic.

My bike is overforked so the front end was getting pretty light which didn’t help, and conditions far from ideal, as you can see from picture is was wet underfoot and tyres got clogged up after a few runs meaning I was spinning out a lot on the top section.

Did it in boost a few times then settled on trail for most of my attempts as a lot more control and less chance of the rear wheel loosing grip.

I reckon a better rider than me could clear it, some trials skills would definitely be handy and on a dry day.

View attachment 61188

View attachment 61189
Well done R20! its great that you took the challenge on.... I can see the challenge being on everyone's "to do list" now. I normally ride at Peaslake over the hill from there but will now definitely be trying the climb. Did you park at the car park at the bottom of the hill, by the cafe?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Let me give you some Surrey hill climbs... Try Landrover on the south face on Ranmore, Then there's the short cut climb to Wonderland near woodyard and finally the two short cut climbs returning up from Barry's on Holmbury, the steepest is opposite the Gassons farm drop from Peaslake. Good luck. Do not try when wet....... Just adding some trials type fun to our rides.
Over the road in Nower Wood there are some climbs that make this look like Childs play. I always think its quite fun to try things that are not part of any trail/acknowledged route, as you have to figure it out yourself, and actually that was what made this morning quite fun as you could tell it was doable, but tricky to clean. Its pretty steep but the difficulty is in the ruts etc that kill you momentum, so you cant just point up it and spin.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

View attachment 61188

View attachment 61189

awesome stuff. Very impressed indeed as my last attempt at this particular hill resulted in a 4 hour stay in A and E and week of antibiotics and I’m still not out of the woods yet.

I also had to endure the embarrassment of all the hikers watching me and the bike tumbling down the hill as if we were both in some kind of cheese rolling competition. ? ? ?

Last edited:

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever

View attachment 61188

View attachment 61189
Well done you…..but we are all talking about riding up the steps. Go back tomorrow if you could please. ? ? (y):eek:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Well done R20! its great that you took the challenge on.... I can see the challenge being on everyone's "to do list" now. I normally ride at Peaslake over the hill from there but will now definitely be trying the climb. Did you park at the car park at the bottom of the hill, by the cafe?
Everyone's to do list ?
Must be joking mate ..Im not travelling 400 miles for that little climb ..?

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Everyone's to do list ?
Must be joking mate ..Im not travelling 400 miles for that little climb ..?
if you're passing..... perhaps if the wife wants to go "shopping or the West End" in London; you can pop down and do the challenge...... let us know and we'll have a little welcome party with balloons and a bottle of pomagne !! ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am going to try it again on my hard tail as that’s running 2.8 Michelin Ewilds which I reckon will grip a lot better, only problem is it’s waiting delivery of a new chain. Plus the geometry on that is far better for climbing.

It’s definitely not an impossible climb, but it’s frustrating enough to make it fun - I thought I would give it 2 or 3 goes and then move on but I must have done about 15, as it got pretty addictive as I was getting so close to clearing it.

I did think about trying the steps but they are all over the place spacing wise and you can’t get up enough momentum (or at least I can’t) at the start to hit them at speed.

Reactions: EME

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I live in reigate so I just rode over. You can either park at the bottom, or at the top of box hill and ride down Juniper - parking at the top means you get the added bonus of trying to take my KOM up Juniper off me on the way back ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I showed the hill to my mate the other day who has an analogue full sus and he took one look at it and said no way could anyone get up that, not even on an ebike.

just goes to show what can actually be achieved on these things. But clearly skilful riding needed also. Well done R120 ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
2nd visit to surgery just now to clean out wound and stop the evil pathogens from eating beekeeper alive from the inside.

that bloody hill has a lot to answer for. I’m glad someone conquered my nemesis ?

84FDA28D-2ACB-4BD6-9733-6E633A7C6187.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles