Anyone have a watch which syncs with Bosch Kiox (retrofit) heart rate display?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Just upgraded from Bosch Purion to Bosch Kiox (Retrofit). Does anyone have a watch which syncs with the Kiox so that heart rate can be displayed? Can see chest and arm straps but no watches. Doesn't have to be amazingly accurate.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just upgraded from Bosch Purion to Bosch Kiox (Retrofit). Does anyone have a watch which syncs with the Kiox so that heart rate can be displayed? Can see chest and arm straps but no watches. Doesn't have to be amazingly accurate.
you dont need all that tech. Stick some cotton wool in one ear and you will be a ble to hear your heart beat! :p

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
you dont need all that tech. Stick some cotton wool in one ear and you will be a ble to hear your heart beat! :p
Put the
wine.gif
down.
laugh.gif

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
:eek:.........Im 🫖 total!.................but at my age I prefer not to know what my heart is doing as long as it keeps going😄

My understanding is that a watch that uses the standardised blutooth protocol should work. I think the more common models like the Apple watch use a combination of wifi and blutooth...but not the basic standardised blutooth..presumably to make it proprietry to other Apple devices.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
:eek:.........Im 🫖 total!.................but at my age I prefer not to know what my heart is doing as long as it keeps going😄

My understanding is that a watch that uses the standardised blutooth protocol should work. I think the more common models like the Apple watch use a combination of wifi and blutooth...but not the basic standardised blutooth..presumably to make it proprietry to other Apple devices.
There is no such thing as "the" standardised Bluetooth protocol, so no, you do not understand.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There is no such thing as "the" standardised Bluetooth protocol, so no, you do not understand.
There was initially an IEEE standard for blutooth in same way as there is for IP etc, but for whatever reason it was decided to no longer maintain that standard . Instead the protocol became managed by a Special Interest Group ( SIG)who do much the same thing as IEEE and have been responsible for c 13 versions/upgrades of the protocol over the years. Adherence to the standards set by the SIG is indeed referred to as "Standardised Blutooth" and it is patended and licenced by the SIG and nobody can claim to use it or display the Blutooth symbol without being licenced or using licenced chips.
The Apple Watch uses a combination of Blutooth, wifi, and cell network communication between itself and an Iphone, so does not use Blutooth in isolation. Its a complex subject and you and me are not going to solve it here!!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
There was initially an IEEE standard for blutooth in same way as there is for IP etc, but for whatever reason it was decided to no longer maintain that standard . Instead the protocol became managed by a Special Interest Group ( SIG)who do much the same thing as IEEE and have been responsible for c 13 versions/upgrades of the protocol over the years. Adherence to the standards set by the SIG is indeed referred to as "Standardised Blutooth" and it is patended and licenced by the SIG and nobody can claim to use it or display the Blutooth symbol without being licenced or using licenced chips.
The Apple Watch uses a combination of Blutooth, wifi, and cell network communication between itself and an Iphone, so does not use Blutooth in isolation. Its a complex subject and you and me are not going to solve it here!!
That's a pretty poor precis of what Wiki says about Bluetooth, it would have been better if you had directly quoted it (as below) and in doing so at least avoided the spelling mistakes!

And nice attempt to conflate there being only one Bluetooth protocol ("the Bluetooth Protocol") with the Bluetooth SIG maintaining "Bluetooth SIG standards".

Bluetooth is managed by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG), which has more than 35,000 member companies in the areas of telecommunication, computing, networking, and consumer electronics. The IEEE standardized Bluetooth as IEEE 802.15.1, but no longer maintains the standard. The Bluetooth SIG oversees development of the specification, manages the qualification program, and protects the trademarks.[4] A manufacturer must meet Bluetooth SIG standards to market it as a Bluetooth device.[5] A network of patents apply to the technology, which are licensed to individual qualifying devices. As of 2009, Bluetooth integrated circuit chips ship approximately 920 million units annually.[6] By 2017, there were 3.6 billion Bluetooth devices being shipped annually and the shipments were expected to continue increasing at about 12% a year.[7] In 2021, shipments reached 4.7 billion units, with 9% growth forecast. [8]

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles